SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys and gals,

We have almost 5,000 miles on our T8 we've had since October. We have been in and out of service for this thing. The previous time we were told the Check Engine Light would most likely be on until Volvo comes up with a fix -- that or just don't use preconditioning or remote start as it will continually trip the CEL. Most recently our Heated Steering Wheel has not been working intermittently. The lights will be on indicating it's turned on by it does not heat. This occurs maybe 10-20% of the time.

This visit I was told the thermostat is out. This is something I would not have found out had I followed suggestions (or not had other problems like the heated steering wheel) by not bringing the car in if the CEL light was tripped again as the thermostat issue also would've tripped the CEL.

I bet we've been in for warranty work 4 times already and could've been more often as the CEL has been lit probably 80-90% of the miles driven.

We really like the interior and exterior of the car and the niceties. Not loving the clunky power delivery of the T8 but do appreciate the EV range. When it comes down to it we have 2 little kids and the dealer is 30 minutes away. I am sick of driving back and forth for service. Not a Volvo problem but if making an appointment on short notice, often there's no loaner available. I'm getting close to taking some action to hopefully get rid of this thing. We had a very cold winter and we loved the idea of being able to precondition the car. It's not like it's a huge deal to not do this or not use remote start, but it sucks to have all these niceties and feel like you can't use them.

I know a software solution is on the way, but not sure I want to wait much longer. My friend who is a parts wholesaler and seems to know a lot about the reliability of a lot of cars tried to warn me away from the T8 and I didn't listen.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Buy a Bluetooth OBDII reader for $10 and clear the CEL due to preconditioning then you will feel happy again. If using timer for preconditioning doesn't trip the CEL, it is also a workaround.

The thermostat has to be replaced, and it is an easy job for the dealer.

My dealer never offer loaner, just enterprise rental car. I survived with them. lol

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
827 Posts
I feel for the OP - sounds like a lemon. Nobody should jump through hoops after paying $60K for a car. We had a few problems with our T8, but all relatively minor (so far!) and were taken care of promptly.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Hopefully you are keeping track of the services to see if there is a potential lemon law claim (depending on the laws in your state).

You could also just dump the thing but then you'd be losing a lot of money but maybe it's worth it to you, I don't know. I was in a similar situation with out XC60 and held on. Luckily, the car has settled down and has been problem free for 2 years now.

Sad that issues like this happen with a premium priced product while there are a slew of other "lesser" vehicles in the market that operate without a hitch. Pay more for a car, get worse reliability, not exactly a winning strategy.

Good luck getting this sorted out.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The more complicated the car (or anything really), the more complicated the problems. Such is life.. And just when they get to the point of ironing out most of the problems, they bring out new models with new tech and start the cycle all over again.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Ya, if Volvo can't provide you with a temporary software patch or way to disable the erroneous check engine light and you're that unhappy, go for a buy-back.

That said, I don't live in a cold climate (didn't opt for heated "anything"), so I can't relate.

Not loving the clunky power delivery of the T8 but do appreciate the EV range.
I couldn't disagree more. Power delivery has been great.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Sad that issues like this happen with a premium priced product while there are a slew of other "lesser" vehicles in the market that operate without a hitch. Pay more for a car, get worse reliability, not exactly a winning strategy.
"I expect exceptional reliability from an exceptionally complex vehicle" shows how unrealistic and out-of-touch the average consumer is (especially on swedespeed). If you want exceptional reliability, buy a no-frills Toyota.

Then again, my Dad's 2017 4x4 Tacoma is on its third rear differential at 50k miles. CR stopped recommending it because of this and other reliability issues.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Buy a Bluetooth OBDII reader for $10 and clear the CEL due to preconditioning then you will feel happy again. If using timer for preconditioning doesn't trip the CEL, it is also a workaround.

My dealer never offer loaner, just enterprise rental car. I survived with them. lol

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
In regards to the preconditioning, I don’t think it works on the T6’s either. I’ve tried to set mine up, it always says “preconditioning failed”. Not the end of the world for me, as the remote start works flawlessly, but if I had a T8, I’d want this to work.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My friend who is a parts wholesaler and seems to know a lot about the reliability of a lot of cars tried to warn me away from the T8 and I didn't listen.
Your friends is an idiot.

I know people that have TWO T8 XC60's in my area and have had very minimal problems. The only problems I can think of on the T8's (recalls aside) was glitches that required a battery reset and software update, shorted air suspension compressor, and another was the stupid T8 thermostat.

You either have an inept service dept or a lemon XC60.

We have sold MANY T8's and rarely see issues like what you are discussing about CEL that needs to wait on Volvo? That is absolute BS and inexcusable.

If we're discussing the hybrid t-stat, Not easy at all. Probably one of the worse things I did the first time.

Engine thermostat is no problemo.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
If we're discussing the hybrid t-stat, Not easy at all. Probably one of the worse things I did the first time.
Oops. sounds like every dealership have some experience on this now. My dealer didn't mention it is hard when mine is replaced.
Now wish it won't fail for years to come.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
So basically there is a known issue with preconditioning from the VOC app. Other than that you have an issue with intermittent steering wheel heating and you needed a new thermostat? Is that it? And you’re at wits end?

I certainly understand the frustration that you weren’t told not to precondition with the VOC app so you had to deal with the uncertainty of the CEL light turning on, And perhaps the dealership should compensate you somehow for the time wasted. But now that you know what not to do until they find a solution then enjoy your car!!! It’s an amazing car! I’m sure Volvo will solve the software issue with the VOC app in short order.

I’ve owned a lot of cars in my day and every brand has its issues, just visit a Mercedes/Audi/BMW forum. Heck, one of my BMW’s (a 2014) had an issue where if it occurred the result was a blown engine with a $20k repair cost! BMW didn’t recall the car, or preemptively fix it, they just extended the warranty.

Enjoy your Volvo......hopefully after they fix the app you’ll be smooth sailing. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Your friends is an idiot.

I know people that have TWO T8 XC60's in my area and have had very minimal problems. The only problems I can think of on the T8's (recalls aside) was glitches that required a battery reset and software update, shorted air suspension compressor, and another was the stupid T8 thermostat.

You either have an inept service dept or a lemon XC60.

We have sold MANY T8's and rarely see issues like what you are discussing about CEL that needs to wait on Volvo? That is absolute BS and inexcusable.

Engine thermostat is no problemo.
It’s not BS at all and exactly why none of the three new Volvos I purchased in 2018 was a T8. TWO different service techs at the two largest Volvo dealers in Massachusetts told me they have more problems with the T8 than anything else by a large margin. Both warned me off of the T8, and I’m glad I listened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
For what it's worth, I heard from service techs at two different dealerships that XC60 T8s are much less problem-prone than XC90 T8s.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
The XC60 T8 and XC90 T8 are the same platform with the same parts. Any differences perceived with regard to reliability would likely be between early XC90 T8s vs the newer XC60 T8, which benefits from bugs being worked out in the early XC90s. A 2019 XC90 T8 vs. 2019 XC60 T8 would have no difference.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Not BS at all. Theres a TJ about it
I know a software solution is on the way, but not sure I want to wait much longer. My friend who is a parts wholesaler and seems to know a lot about the reliability of a lot of cars tried to warn me away from the T8 and I didn't listen.

Are we talking pre-conditioning or another unrelated CEL waiting for a Volvo response? Shoot me a TJ number so I can read it and meanwhile I will look for it. BUT it hasnt come across with any of my diagnostics and CSC's.

EDIT: this is all that I could find about pre-conditioning and all related fixes have been released

If the preconditioning timer function in the Volvo on call app does not work, but setting the calendar function in the car and direct start of the climate settings from the app does work, please follow the advice under service.

Do not replace any parts or perform any fault-tracing.
The fix will be in the Software upgrade package at the dates stated below:

- 2018 week 19 there is a software release for XC90, S90, V90 built from and including structure week 201746.

*- 2018 week 40 there is a software release where the fix is included for the new XC60, XC90, S90, V90 built before structure week 201746.

- Please perform a Total Upgrade in accordance with TJ 31543. (The improved software is included in the Total Upgrade).

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
TJ 34446 for ECM-P0EBF24

And the OPs heated steering wheel issue might be TJ34494, which is also awaiting a solution. But there isn't enough info here to determine if that is his problem.

·
Registered
306 Posts
"I expect exceptional reliability from an exceptionally complex vehicle" shows how unrealistic and out-of-touch the average consumer is (especially on swedespeed). If you want exceptional reliability, buy a no-frills Toyota.

Then again, my Dad's 2017 4x4 Tacoma is on its third rear differential at 50k miles. CR stopped recommending it because of this and other reliability issues.
Off topic, I know. I have heard horror stories about the new Tacoma redesign. Engine, tranny, and rear end problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. Yes, both of our issues still outstanding are awaiting software updates that are TBD.

One frustrating thing is that I was told to just let our CEL stay lit as using remote start or preconditioning would trip it anyhow. If I didn't bring it in for the heated steering wheel issue, I wouldn't have found out about the thermostat (which trips the CEL as well) and could have fried the ECU (according to service guy). I am keeping track of our service records and have a letter planned. I just can't be in and out of service constantly right now at this time of life. And yes, I do expect more from a luxury car. I know more tech = more potential problems, but some of the niceties like preconditioning with EV range and the like are why we chose the almost $75,000 car.

Like I said our CEL has been lit probably 80-90% of the miles driven. I could've brought this thing in a few more times as well, but was advised not to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts