SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the service due (still have 4000km to the next service) notification light up a few days ago the car just start the engine by itself even its fully charged. We in tropical area so cold temperature for starting the heating is not the cause. And it wouldn't turn to electric till after 5-8km. Anyone have experience this weird phenomenon? Maybe something broke asking us to send the car into the workshop?

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Since the service due (still have 4000km to the next service) notification light up a few days ago the car just start the engine by itself even its fully charged. We in tropical area so cold temperature for starting the heating is not the cause. And it wouldn't turn to electric till after 5-8km. Anyone have experience this weird phenomenon? Maybe something broke asking us to send the car into the workshop?
What if you switch to pure mode? Also you can try "Constant AWD" mode or Power mode and see if it engages e-motor or spill out any error message.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Even in Pure mode and after a lengthy Precondition cycle the ICE will start and run for a few miles at times. It sounds to me that what you’re experiencing is normal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can select pure mode but still wouldn't run on electric. The AWD is grey out, only hybrid, pure and power can be select. No idea what happen. Will book it into the workshop soon before it getting worst. It's only 2 1/2 years old done 50k km.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Even in Pure mode and after a lengthy Precondition cycle the ICE will start and run for a few miles at times. It sounds to me that what you’re experiencing is normal.
Even in warm weather, it's "normal" that the ICE will start sometimes? It doesn't always start in all-electric (Pure) mode every time, normally?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It is not normal for the ICE to start unless it's cold out or you push the accelerator past the crossover point (oil drop icon).

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I hit once in a snow day this winter. Using a bluetooth OBDII reader, I read out a pending error code on hybrid control module. I cleared it out and it works again so far. So not sure if same for you but I guess dealer will find out.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
In approximately 50dF ambient temp, with a fully charged battery and preconditioned for 20 minutes, I can pull out of my garage in ‘Pure’ mode and it will remain running in EV mode until I hit a major road and my speed increases to around 50 mph. At that time it will routinely engage the ICE for around 3-4 miles, before dropping back to EV mode. I believe it’s doing this to get the ICE components up to ‘running’ temperature for more efficiency should it need to be used.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
We've got about 40k miles on our two T8s. Unless it's around 25F or below, the ICE only fires up if we exceed the accelerator cutover point. There is no routine auto-engaging of the ICE other than that.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hybrid car batteries and how automakers manage its usage with respect to temperature (among other things) are pretty interesting. Check out this article. (I know there are better easy-to-read articles so please do share.)

Yes, I've had cold day instances where my T8 is in pure mode but the ICE kicks on, presumably to either help warm up the battery and/or to provide power to warm up the battery without using it. But eventually the ICE does turn off. Even on warm days the battery needs to be kept cool via the battery cooling system but I don't know if that's power pulled from the hybrid battery or ICE.

Additionally high pedal usage or high accelerations also force the ICE on. I remember pulling out of my driveway a little too fast from rest and the ICE kicked in and stayed on a little bit longer I suspect because the Volvo thought I was in speed racer mode and wanted to stay in speed racer mode. Eventually with more gentle accelerations the hybrid battery kicked in.

Separately, perhaps the emission system needs some sort of purging (for example purging diesel particulate filters) that will override use of the hybrid battery. I'm just guessing here.

I'd be more worried if the fully charged hybrid battery never turned on or only turned on after more than say, 10 minutes ICE.

Please let us other T8 owners know what ends up happening - thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I noticed that for some reasons I can t explain, when fuel tank is low, the engine starts even though battery is fully charged.

If I get the tank full, problem disappears.

Anyone knows the reason ?

And could you check if you are in the same situation ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I noticed that for some reasons I can t explain, when fuel tank is low, the engine starts even though battery is fully charged.

If I get the tank full, problem disappears.

Anyone knows the reason ?

And could you check if you are in the same situation ?
Does your car have the gas powered auxiliary heater? If so, it will be disabled below a certain fuel level. This implies lack of heating in cold weather and the engine will start.

Perhaps not the best solution, but this seems to be how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a quick update on the issue. The car went into the workshop for 2 days of 60k 3rd year service, diagnostic and test. In the end they perform a software update 2.0 and calibrate the IGM (whatever it is). ISG (again don't know what's that) isolation test and found nothing.

When I left the workshop all working fine but when I got home and decided to pop down to the grocery after the car have been stationary for 3 hours. The problem come back, wouldn't start with electric even it's fully charged battery. Typical frustration situation. Will have to storm the workshop again on Monday. Argg....

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
... calibrate the IGM (whatever it is). ISG (again don't know what's that) isolation test and found nothing.
IGM: Looks to be the hybrid battery (voltage) converter and charger.
https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/2018/XC90/Igm--exch/11183260/36011467.html

ISG: integrated starter generator
https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/5278

You don't own a 2016 T8 by chance? Checkout this thread:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=366433&share_fid=17438&share_type=t

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I'd push the dealer to get some help from Sweden to remotely diagnose it. They should be much more insightful than dealership routine examination.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a quick update on our grey beast. We took it into the workshop last weekend and today the workshop update us that they found the IEM (inverter something) keep spitting out error code. Part will be install next week. We can only fingers cross and get her back, cause the courtesy car is horrible.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts