SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
I intentionally went with the NEMA 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker - using www.ClipperCreek.com 's charging station. This enables visitors who come with their RV's to plug-in for AC, et al (except when I am charging my T8. :cool:). It is a bit of overkill but my logic was to be future-proofed and to accommodate the "cousin Eddy's" of the world (Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation).
Not only that, all Tesla UMCs (40A chargers) use the NEMA 14-50 standard, if you are a positive individual make sure you participate on PlugShare and list your location to help fellow EV owners in need. I also installed an outside receptacle for the occasions I may not be home. I was on a recent trip to "God's country" aka SE WV and found a Leaf owner's home to charge my car off a J1772 (Level 2 40A).

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Not only that, all Tesla UMCs (40A chargers) use the NEMA 14-50 standard, if you are a positive individual make sure you participate on PlugShare and list your location to help fellow EV owners in need. I also installed an outside receptacle for the occasions I may not be home. I was on a recent trip to "God's country" aka SE WV and found a Leaf owner's home to charge my car off a J1772 (Level 2 40A).
Good idea to put a plug-in on the outside of the garage for PlugShare. As an aside, I wish AeroVironment would offer 14-50 option, but their customer support indicated that it was not in their plans. Maybe they would reconsider. Is there such a thing as a converter from a 14-50 plugin to 6-20 plug?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Wow you guys are so generous sharing your chargers :D

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Is there such a thing as a converter from a 14-50 plugin to 6-20 plug?
I looked around for a while but couldn't find one. You're talking about going from a 50 amp service to a 20 amp plug - probably something not very much in demand (though this vehicle charging stuff could change that).

You could do it with a pigtail and an adapter - but I'd consider that messy. If I needed such a thing I'd just build my own. Or continue looking ...

Or see if these folks could custom make one for me (they seem to do that for Tesla owners):

https://www.evseadapters.com

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Thanks! The converter would only be to use the AeroVironment Dual Cord (240v) in a pinch when a 6-20 receptacle is not available, but a 14-50 is. I agree that it is probably not much in demand. I may check out the RV dealers and the website that you suggested. Thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, I am new here. Waiting for my beautiful T8 Inscription 21" Ember Black. I have seen heads on US home charging kits. Anyone could share what is available for Europe?
I know about solutions offered by Ensto and Garo only.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Home Charging Station

Hello,
In my house, we use this charging station. It charges the car in 3 hours from 0% to 100%.
It costs 800 Euro including installation and cable.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I intentionally went with the NEMA 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker - using www.ClipperCreek.com 's charging station. This enables visitors who come with their RV's to plug-in for AC, et al (except when I am charging my T8. :cool:). It is a bit of overkill but my logic was to be future-proofed and to accommodate the "cousin Eddy's" of the world (Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation).
This makes you BEV proof, all Tesla mobile connectors plug into these.

Please be kind and enroll on plugshare.com, you may make new friends for life with some desperate BEV driver.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Two weeks ago I thought it was dumb for me to pay more for the T8, since I know it will never pay off. Now I am hooked and just ordered a charging point 32A for the house.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Two weeks ago I thought it was dumb for me to pay more for the T8, since I know it will never pay off. Now I am hooked and just ordered a charging point 32A for the house.
Cool :D :thumbup:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I got the chargepoint installed today. This car doesn't get to be parked in the garage, so we had to find a place outside where my wife would approve. Ended up hiding it inside of the trash gate, it seems to work pretty well. On the plus side, it would be easy to move it to the adjoining wall inside of the garage at a later date.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have to question why the charging port is located on the off-side (drivers side) of the car. (LHD markets)
This means that if ever the car is charged while parked facing the direction of traffic, the rather large cable handle is projecting significantly into the street.
The hazards to passing bikes and vehicles is obvious and then there is the question of damage to the port and handle as it gets side-swiped.
The Mercedes S Class has a far more practical and elegant solution: the charging port is located at the passenger side rear of the car, pointing backwards, and not into traffic.
Surely I'm not the first person to notice this potential hazard.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Out of interest, could someone tell me which side of the car the charging port is located on RHD T8s? Is it still on the driver's side or is it way over the other side of the car. That would be a bit of a pain when charging/disconnecting regularly.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have to question why the charging port is located on the off-side (drivers side) of the car. (LHD markets)
This means that if ever the car is charged while parked facing the direction of traffic, the rather large cable handle is projecting significantly into the street.

I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where the car is parked on the street, and there's a charging plug close enough to reach. That said, I would guess that the charging plug barely sticks out beyond the side mirror.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where the car is parked on the street, and there's a charging plug close enough to reach. That said, I would guess that the charging plug barely sticks out beyond the side mirror.
The cable/plug combination looks like it sticks out quite a bit beyond the folded mirrors.
For us city dwellers, where plug-in and hybrid arguably has the most positive environmental impact, being able to charge while parked on the street is the only option.
Driveways and garages are not the norm in most cities.

see image: this car is parked on the street in Washington DC.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Since the volvo on call app barely works these days, I am really happy I chose the chargepoint charger. I didn't think I would use much of the features, but being able to know when it is charging, when it is done, and to schedule reminders has been useful. That being said, the on call app, is supposed to have all these features, they just don't really work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The cable/plug combination looks like it sticks out quite a bit beyond the folded mirrors.
For us city dwellers, where plug-in and hybrid arguably has the most positive environmental impact, being able to charge while parked on the street is the only option.
Driveways and garages are not the norm in most cities.
I'm guessing from the picture that it's legal to park on the "wrong" side of the road in the US?

41 - 60 of 265 Posts