SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had my charging station installed yesterday (EVDuty 40, locally built for our very cold winters). It's manual states that it is incompatible with electric vehicles that require ventilation for indoor charging. I can find many charging station that talk about this but no vehicle that requires ventilation for indoor charging. Does anyone know if the XC90 requires ventilation for indoor charging (not recommended ventilation but required by signalling so on the SAE-J1772 connector, protocol states that if charger cannot start ventilation of the closed area it cannot charge the vehicle). I am summing that because no one brought this up that ventilation is not required but many of us are new to this EV stuff...
I am not sure of what you are referring to by "ventilation for indoor charging" but I can state that the T8 does have a fan that cycles off and on for cooling when it is being charged.

·
Registered
61 Posts
^^^ I'm curious how much did that cost you roughly??
$729 cdn for the charger (30 amp charge / 40 amp breaker) and about $750 cdn for the installation (including materials ie breaker, wiring, power boxes) plus taxes. The provincial government will reimburse $650 (but wont give up their taxes). I live in the city and my driveway is right next to the house which made installation easy, house is left of car so cable does not have to go over car (or alternatively I do not have to back-in). Does anyone need pictures (no car yet though, latest date is feb 12th) ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am not sure of what you are referring to by "ventilation for indoor charging" but I can state that the T8 does have a fan that cycles off and on for cooling when it is being charged.
I found this on a Nissan Leaf forum "The Ventilation requirement is for charging lead-acid battery vehicles which emit hydrogen when charging. No such worries with the LEAF and I'm not aware of any EVSEs on the market which handle ventilation, either.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
$729 for the charger (30 amp charge / 40 amp breaker) and about $750 for the installation (including materials ie breaker, wiring, power boxes) plus taxes. The provincial government will reimburse $650 (but wont give up their taxes). I live in the city and my driveway is right next to the house which made installation easy, house is left of car so cable does not have to go over car (or alternatively I do not have to back-in). Does anyone need pictures (no car yet though, latest date is feb 12th) ?
Thanks! That's not bad and yes pics would be nice to see.

·
Registered
61 Posts

EV Duty installation

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I just hope nobody takes advantage of your outdoor charger :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do not think that is likely but anyway its protected by motion sensors and security cameras.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
EV Duty installation
Merci pour les photos.

Does the EV Duty have a dock to plug the charging plug into when it is not connected to the car? If not - you may want to consider getting one (I don't know if Clipper Creek sells theirs separately). The dock usually keeps the end of the cable up and covered so the environment doesn't affect it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Merci pour les photos.

Does the EV Duty have a dock to plug the charging plug into when it is not connected to the car? If not - you may want to consider getting one (I don't know if Clipper Creek sells theirs separately). The dock usually keeps the end of the cable up and covered so the environment doesn't affect it.
Yes EV Duty does sell a dock but I suspect that in my case because the charger is in a narrow walkway that if it were in a dock the plug would be more susceptible to being broken (by people or snow removal machinery). A cap on the plug would be in my case a better approach if such a thing exists.

·
Registered
61 Posts
**************************************** Update - This configuration does not work ************************************
* The EV charger in the picture is a dedecated 240v, the Dual voltage Turbo Cord that comes with the Volvo T8 does not fit in the box *
* It will fit in this box with a regular 110/120 volt outlet for an L1 charge. See my 27 june post for a 240v L2 installation *
***************************************************************************************************************

You may wish to install the exterior box aerovironment has for the T8 charger. Problem is they do not sell it without a charger and as a T8 owner you already have the charger and just need the box. This is what i have found (when the electrician puts it all toguether I wiill confirm if it is all ok). This is to build a 240v nema 6-20 outdoor plug and cover.

You are trying to build this:

From a supplier call Radwell I have ordered:

From Home depot I have ordered this (breaker will vary according to your electrical panel)

Your receptacle and box should look like this:

I have had discussion with supplier about ground fault breakers that would require a neutral wire which is not present in a NEMA 6-20. One would think that is required for an exterior plug.
All prices are in Canadian $. I have installed a fixed charger (EV Duty) at home and plan to install this at my cottage.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'd personally avoid using an external plug for a charging station - instead I'd hard wire it.

240 VAC chargers in North America would typically never have a neutral connection: that would only be used when you want to source 120 VAC between the neutral and one of the X or Y mains connections.

As for wire gauge - here's a chart for 240 VAC based on breaker amperage:

Depending on how far the outlet / connection is from your breaker panel - and what you think your future plans may be - you may want to consider running AWG 8 wire which would support a 40 amp breaker. While today the XC90 doesn't need to draw that much current - it would make your installation ready for the higher current Level 2 station if you ever needed it. (A 240 VAC 20 amp circuit supports 16 amp connectivity whilst the 240 VAC 40 amp circuit supports 32 amp connections.)

The above image comes from this web site page - which has wiring configs for just about every kind of North American connection:
http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-wire-240-volt-outlets.html

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd personally avoid using an external plug for a charging station - instead I'd hard wire it.

240 VAC chargers in North America would typically never have a neutral connection: that would only be used when you want to source 120 VAC between the neutral and one of the X or Y mains connections.

As for wire gauge - here's a chart for 240 VAC based on breaker amperage:

Depending on how far the outlet / connection is from your breaker panel - and what you think your future plans may be - you may want to consider running AWG 8 wire which would support a 40 amp breaker. While today the XC90 doesn't need to draw that much current - it would make your installation ready for the higher current Level 2 station if you ever needed it. (A 240 VAC 20 amp circuit supports 16 amp connectivity whilst the 240 VAC 40 amp circuit supports 32 amp connections.)

The above image comes from this web site page - which has wiring configs for just about every kind of North American connection:
http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-wire-240-volt-outlets.html
I have hardwired my main residence with a 30Amp hard wired charger on a 40 Amp circuit and AWG 8 wiring (plan for second EV). But the T8 is delivered with a 15 amps charger with a nema 6-20 plug that requires a dedicated 240v 20 amp circuit. So I am thinking of a practical way to put the supplied charger to good use at the cottage. I will bookmark your wiring link it's a good one.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
If anyone tries this holster with the Aeroenvironment Dual cord charger please tell us how it fits !
The AeroVironment J1772 plug-in (and likely most any J1772 plug-in) works just fine with the ClipperCreek holster. I tried it since I have both. I have the AeroVironment DualCord sitting on top of my ClipoerCreek with the AeroVironment J1772 plugged into the ClipperCreek holster.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
In the US - installation of a home charging station (retroactively in 2015 and in 2015) may qualify for an Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit - see here:

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

·
Registered
243 Posts
I found that if I open the hatch while the vehicle is charging, I can't remove the J1772 plug.
I then have to lock the vehicle and then unlock the vehicle by opening the door.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I found that if I open the hatch while the vehicle is charging, I can't remove the J1772 plug.
I then have to lock the vehicle and then unlock the vehicle by opening the door.
Indeed - same scenario here as well.

21 - 40 of 265 Posts