SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting new charger

Check out this charger, very interesting at $399.00US.

Grizzl-e is the most Simple, Robust and Affordable EVSE with ability to charge at 40A / 10 kW, but also could be set to operate at 16A/24A/32A for situations when your electric panel does not have enough power for 50A breaker.

https://www.grizzl-e.com/products/grizzle/

·
Registered
243 Posts
For folks who have installed a 240V outlet to use charge at Level 2 speeds, what does the peak electricity rates for you look like? I was looking into getting a 240V outlet put in, but then I realized that in my area, it wouldn't make sense to ever use it. Peak electricity rates are $0.48/kwh, which means a full charge would cost around $4.80, so I'd be better off using gas (environment be damned). If I only charge during off-peak times ($0.17/kwh starting at midnight), even with a Level 1 charger I'll have a full battery by the morning, which would make the 240V outlet unnecessary.

Am I missing something here? Is it just because we have astronomical electricity rates that 240V doesn't seem to make sense for me?

·
Registered
379 Posts
For folks who have installed a 240V outlet to use charge at Level 2 speeds, what does the off-peak electricity rates for you look like? I was looking into getting a 240V outlet put in, but then I realized that in my area, it wouldn't make sense to ever use it. Peak electricity rates are $0.48/kwh, which means a full charge would cost around $4.80, which means I'd be better off using gas (environment be damned). If I only charge during off-peak times ($0.17/kwh starting at midnight), even with a Level 1 charger I'll have a full battery by the morning, which would make the 240V outlet unnecessary.

Am I missing something here? Is it just because we have astronomical electricity rates that 240V doesn't seem to make sense for me?
No you are correct. I installed 240v to charge quickly on weekends... Also 240v charges in less than half the time as my level 1 charger...

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Ultimately, just do what is best for your cost/benefit.

I fortunate to have pre-tax rates of $0.07 kWh for cycled off-peak and $0.14 for non-cycled peak.

I originally installed a 240v 50A to future proof for a BEV. This system is connected to the off-peak controlled cycle. I grew frustrated with the cycled off-peak which was not consistently controlled - resulting in a two-hour start/stop swing and making preconditioning schedules difficult. (Preconditioning in MN winters is a nice-to-have.)

Thus, I installed the 240v 20A to use on non-cycled peak. I can charge in 2-2.5 hrs whenever I know I will travel from home more than once a day. The cost of the breaker, rated wire and receptacles were inexpensive to install - at least in my home.

My home installation was allocated (on paper) 50,000 kwh from renewable resources - contributing in a small but incremental to a better climate.

I am working with the local electric cooperative as a beta customer to implement either a more reliable RF equipment for cycling, or TOU system. A time of use system would be most advantageous since one can control costs and needs on a whim.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

261 - 265 of 265 Posts