SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several weeks ago we had the electricity ran in the garage in anticipation to getting the T8. We picked up our T8 one week ago, and realized that we had done a little overkill and the wrong type of plug. I tried to find out what type of plug the T8 charging cord takes, but could not find it written down - maybe I just overlooked it somewhere.

According to the manual, the T8 charges at 15 Amps. We had a 50Amp circuit and plug installed with a NIMA 14-50 type plug, which was overkill.

On Friday we changed out everything to meet the needs of the T8. Here is what you need:

Plug Type: Legrand 5851 http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/receptacles/fed-spec-grade/heavy-duty-single/5851.aspx
Circuit breaker: 20 Amps

Of course you can remove the 120-240 adapter on the plug, and charge with 120, but it takes over 2 times as long.

Hope this helps others getting ready for the T8.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Very helpful. Thanks! I've placed an order for a T8 that should arrive later this spring. I'm starting to look into getting the house ready for it!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Several weeks ago we had the electricity ran in the garage in anticipation to getting the T8. We picked up our T8 one week ago, and realized that we had done a little overkill and the wrong type of plug. I tried to find out what type of plug the T8 charging cord takes, but could not find it written down - maybe I just overlooked it somewhere.

According to the manual, the T8 charges at 15 Amps. We had a 50Amp circuit and plug installed with a NIMA 14-50 type plug, which was overkill.

On Friday we changed out everything to meet the needs of the T8. Here is what you need:

Plug Type: Legrand 5851 http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/receptacles/fed-spec-grade/heavy-duty-single/5851.aspx
Circuit breaker: 20 Amps

Of course you can remove the 120-240 adapter on the plug, and charge with 120, but it takes over 2 times as long.

Hope this helps others getting ready for the T8.
I intentionally went with the NEMA 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker - using www.ClipperCreek.com 's charging station. This enables visitors who come with their RV's to plug-in for AC, et al (except when I am charging my T8. :cool:). It is a bit of overkill but my logic was to be future-proofed and to accommodate the "cousin Eddy's" of the world (Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation).

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I intentionally went with the NEMA 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker - using ClipperCreek's charging station. This enables visitors who come with their RV's to plug-in for AC, et al (except when I am charging my T8. :cool:). It is a bit of overkill but my logic was to be future-proofed and to accommodate the "cousin Eddy's" of the world (Chevy Chase and National Lapoom's Vacation).
Real nice, Clark.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I intentionally went with the NEMA 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker - using ClipperCreek's charging station. This enables visitors who come with their RV's to plug-in for AC, et al (except when I am charging my T8. :cool:). It is a bit of overkill but my logic was to be future-proofed and to accommodate the "cousin Eddy's" of the world (Chevy Chase and National Lapoom's Vacation).
We have a 50A circuit with the 14-50 plug already in the garage, but it was not convenient to charge the T8 in that position, so thus the second circuit. Love the Cousin Eddy ability by the way!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How many amps does the t8 pull on 120?
I had that info - and I can't find it. Using the supplied cord it takes no longer than 7 hours to charge the battery - so 7 hours * 11 amps * 120 volts = 9.24 kW. To be honest I think its less than that; one of these days I'll setup a cable so I can throw a clamp-on amp meter on it and see what the real life numbers are.

In any event - any 120 VAC outlet in North America should suffice (as they all have a minimum of 15 amp ratings).

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
So unless you want faster charging, there's really no need to install anything right? Or do you still need to have an electrician put a different size plug? Sorry it's little confusing lol We'll be ordering our T8 probably next month so just trying to understand this whole charging thing.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
So unless you want faster charging, there's really no need to install anything right?
If you are parking your car in a garage and don't mind the +/- 7 hours for a full charge ... all you need is a standard NEMA 5-15 outlet (a regular plug).

You should only use the charging cable that comes with the vehicle: do not use an extension cord to extend its length.

Best though that the outlet you plug into is dedicated to charging the car. If that outlet is on a circuit for other things ... when the car is charging (say roughly 10 amps) if you were to draw another 5 amps on the same circuit you may pop a breaker.

One additional thing (that was confirmed today in the Volvo support forum): if you have your vehicle outside and plugged into a 120 VAC outlet and turn on pre-conditioning ... the 120 VAC outlet will not be able to supply enough current to charge and precondition the vehicle (at the same time). I found that it drains the battery a bit and Volvo confirmed that is expected behaviour. This is a non-issue when you use a 220 to 240 VAC connection.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
To emphasize what rpmccormick said, the line should be dedicated. Volvo states that in the Know Your Volvo app, too. If you need to install a dedicated line, I would upgrade to the 220/240 and select the breaker based on the charger that you want to use.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Thanks guys! What if you park inside and plug into regular outlet, will the pre-conditioning still work?? My garage is not heated but never goes below 0°C (there's finished drywall on all sides except outside wall).

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Preconditioning on 120v will work, but 240v definitely recommended

Thanks guys! What if you park inside and plug into regular outlet, will the pre-conditioning still work?? My garage is not heated but never goes below 0°C (there's finished drywall on all sides except outside wall).
Yes, preconditioning with 120v will still work if you have sufficient battery charge. A 240v system is recommended, but you can still precondition with 120v with some hybrid battery drain.

If your car is fully charged, you can precondition with a regular 120v outlet. But, you should expect reduced reduced range and charge level as preconditioning is directly powered from the hybrid battery. The charger only "re-charges" the battery. The amount of drain will be more noticeable when you are heating your car particularly when OAT is cold (40F or lower). Cooling or air exchange may have a small or even negligible effect on the battery charge level as some have reported.

To be more specific, what I observe with my 240v EVSE is that charging and preconditioning draws 15.5 amps at 240v. Mathematically, the 12 amp, 120v charging cannot recharge the hybrid battery at a sufficient rate while preconditioning with heat.

You can adjust the climate settings (e.g., auto) and length of preconditioning to find the right balance. Manually starting the preconditioning and turning it off in a short period may help mitigate the amount of battery drain.

Note: If your OAT is 30F or colder and you use a 120v charger, you can expect up to a 25% decrease in your hybrid battery range if you precondition for 20 minutes or more. The impact will be less with a warmer OAT and/or a shorter preconditioning period.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You do want a dedicated circuit as per the instructions. Note: when using the Volvo power cord on either 110 or 220, it will get warm, but not to the point that it should cause concern.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What if you park inside and plug into regular outlet, will the pre-conditioning still work?? My garage is not heated but never goes below 0°C
Yes, for sure. And if the interior of your garage is warm enough - preconditioning won't need to raise the temp of the vehicle all that much - and you won't loose any battery charge during preconditioning. Again - that being said for a 120 VAC connection. With 220-240 VAC ... no issues.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If your car is fully charged, you can start preconditioning with a regular 110/120v outlet. It should be a dedicated line per Volvo. However, the caveat is that you will likely experience "some" drain on the hybrid battery. When you hop in the car, your hybrid battery charge might indicate something in the range of 90-99% - depending on the length and extent of preconditioning needed.

As I understand it, the 110v/120v, 15 amp outlet and the charger are limited in amperage (i.e., current) to provide enough wattage (i.e., power) to sustain the full hybrid battery charge and run the preconditioning. Nonetheless, you can experiment with climate settings (e.g., auto) to find the right balance and to minimize battery drain. If you do not have access to a dedicated line, try to make sure that no other devices are plugged in or using power from that line.

Although this may not be feasible or an option for everyone, a 220v/240v is optimal because it can provide up to ~ 20 amps and equivalent power to keep the hybrid battery charged while the preconditioning is consuming power from the hybrid battery.

Note: Please correct me if my references to the hybrid battery (v. start battery) are incorrect. I need to refresh/confirm my memory.
Interesting. We kept getting warnings that preconditioning was stopped because the battery was getting too low, even with it plugged in. Now, this was outside, 15 degrees. I shut off the auto timing preconditioning and now only precondition as I get ready to go. Hasn't happened since.

It would appear that it is programmed to limit the drain.

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
I will make this a sticky, for a few weeks; useful info. Thanks, rogbmw, for starting it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had my charging station installed yesterday (EVDuty 40, locally built for our very cold winters). It's manual states that it is incompatible with electric vehicles that require ventilation for indoor charging. I can find many charging station that talk about this but no vehicle that requires ventilation for indoor charging. Does anyone know if the XC90 requires ventilation for indoor charging (not recommended ventilation but required by signalling so on the SAE-J1772 connector, protocol states that if charger cannot start ventilation of the closed area it cannot charge the vehicle). I am assuming that because no one brought this up that ventilation is not required but many of us are new to this EV stuff...

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
^^^ I'm curious how much did that cost you roughly??

1 - 20 of 265 Posts