SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Potential buyer doing some research on the T8 XC90...

I currently drive a Prius so I'm well versed on the mechanics and driving style of Hybrids. I have a niche question about the way the hybrid system works on the T8.

When starting the T8 on a cold day or on a cold start, Does the ICE still need to run/idle to warm up before it allows battery only driving? And if so, how long does that warm up take?

The reason I ask is because my daily commute is SUPER short (pop over to the train station) and I'd like to be able to leave the house and park it only on battery power but if the car has to idle and warm up during that short commute, I won't be able to make use of the battery only mileage. Currently my Prius doesn't either which was a little bit of a disappointment after I discovered this. Luckily the regular mileage is still pretty efficient.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The engine does not need to ever come on when you first jump in and take off. This is assuming you have charged your battery. I have had several Prius vehicles and this is really different. The Prius Hybrid has a very small battery that does not allow external charging. So depending on its status upon first starting (Prius has a heater that attempts to keep the water hot) will determine if you can take off without the engine running. I guess it depends also on how cold we are talking? I live in Santa Barbara, CA so cold is not an issue. So after I charge my Volvo and the battery is full you can immediately run in battery only mode. When you first start up the car will be in Hybrid mode. However the engine will not start unless you exceed the speed shown on the display. You can immediately place the engine mode into Pure. That will allow you a faster speed before the engine will start for support. As long as you do not stomp on the accelerator the ICE will not start. The Volvo XC90 and XC60 T8 behave just like an all electric car as long as you keep within parameters. So you should be able to go to the station and never have the ICE start. Hope that helps

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pre-condition the car prior to leaving the house gets everything ‘warmed’ up and will decrease the chances that the ICE will start.

However, even if pre-conditioned and with high ambient temps, my T8 will occasionally run the ICE even with lots of battery charge left; regardless of mode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same “commute” as you do. When you start the car in the cold, you have to change the mode to “Pure,” which is the “electric only” mode. The harder you press the accelerator, the quicker you will trigger the engine to start to pick up the pace. When it is cold, this threshold is lower and it is easier to accidentally trigger the engine to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pre-condition the car prior to leaving the house gets everything ‘warmed’ up and will decrease the chances that the ICE will start.

However, even if pre-conditioned and with high ambient temps, my T8 will occasionally run the ICE even with lots of battery charge left; regardless of mode.
You're talking about having the A/C run during pre-conditioning right? Does the pre-conditioing have a timelimit before it shuts back down? My Prius actually stays on battery power only but the pre-conditioning only lasts like 5 minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the same “commute” as you do. When you start the car in the cold, you have to change the mode to “Pure,” which is the “electric only” mode. The harder you press the accelerator, the quicker you will trigger the engine to start to pick up the pace. When it is cold, this threshold is lower and it is easier to accidentally trigger the engine to start.
do you live where it gets below freezing? I'm curious how feasible it is to stay on battery when it's really cold (which is a good portion of the year for me). or is trying to drive in battery only during freezing temps like driving in limp mode?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine does not need to ever come on when you first jump in and take off. This is assuming you have charged your battery. I have had several Prius vehicles and this is really different. The Prius Hybrid has a very small battery that does not allow external charging. So depending on its status upon first starting (Prius has a heater that attempts to keep the water hot) will determine if you can take off without the engine running. I guess it depends also on how cold we are talking? I live in Santa Barbara, CA so cold is not an issue. So after I charge my Volvo and the battery is full you can immediately run in battery only mode. When you first start up the car will be in Hybrid mode. However the engine will not start unless you exceed the speed shown on the display. You can immediately place the engine mode into Pure. That will allow you a faster speed before the engine will start for support. As long as you do not stomp on the accelerator the ICE will not start. The Volvo XC90 and XC60 T8 behave just like an all electric car as long as you keep within parameters. So you should be able to go to the station and never have the ICE start. Hope that helps
Thanks, I wish I lived in CA =)...

I realized during my ownership of the Prius, it really was designed for warm weather... They did not do much winter driving testing. I'm hoping the Swede's have put the XC90 through it's battery of winter tests. One big annoyance is that freezing rain/slush freezes VERY easily on the prius windshield due to it's slope and the lack of pressure from the wipers and faster speeds (self induced wind chill i guess). Anyways, getting off topic...

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
do you live where it gets below freezing? I'm curious how feasible it is to stay on battery when it's really cold (which is a good portion of the year for me). or is trying to drive in battery only during freezing temps like driving in limp mode?
I am in central MN and winters can be a bit cold. ;) Cold weather affects the range - not performance. A ~20-mile range during the Spring translates to ~12-mile range in the winter between 10 degrees F to 35 degrees F. Below 10 degrees the range can be 10 miles. Anytime the OAT drops below ~27 degrees F, ICE will kick in for a couple of minutes even on Pure.

Preconditioning via 240v optimizes your battery's range during cold weather. The battery is warmed up along with the interior (and seats and steering provided you have and use those options).

·
Registered
345 Posts
T8 owner in Canada, I have a heated garage so I don't really have to pre-warm, I found that if you set the temp warmer the ICE will start sooner, even out of a warm garage as it's more effective to heat the car with hot ICE coolant heating system then the electric one, I also imagine it wants to keep the oil at a certian temp so it can flow better when the ICE does start.

At work I don't charge so I get into a cold soaked car, battery range does drop, no avoiding it. For the distance I drive ( 15 min suburb,some paved country) I found Hybrid mode the best in winter, without too much fiddling I can drive on electric a fair distane and it keeps the engine\battery warm.

I used to live about 4 min drive from work without a heated garage and I could make it to and from on all electric without preheat. So If your drive is short, it can be done, some of those days were -18F without wind chill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
T8 owner in Canada, I have a heated garage so I don't really have to pre-warm, I found that if you set the temp warmer the ICE will start sooner, even out of a warm garage as it's more effective to heat the car with hot ICE coolant heating system then the electric one, I also imagine it wants to keep the oil at a certian temp so it can flow better when the ICE does start.

At work I don't charge so I get into a cold soaked car, battery range does drop, no avoiding it. For the distance I drive ( 15 min suburb,some paved country) I found Hybrid mode the best in winter, without too much fiddling I can drive on electric a fair distane and it keeps the engine\battery warm.

I used to live about 4 min drive from work without a heated garage and I could make it to and from on all electric without preheat. So If your drive is short, it can be done, some of those days were -18F without wind chill.
Thats awesome. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Buy the T8. You can go that "20 miles" often, but occasionally the ICE will turn on---just wait one minute and it will turn off. All this spring and summer I have been driving with local miles. My MPG on the Sensus shows 82.4 mpg. I may have to go to the gas station this month:( LOL.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Buy the T8. You can go that "20 miles" often, but occasionally the ICE will turn on---just wait one minute and it will turn off. All this spring and summer I have been driving with local miles. My MPG on the Sensus shows 82.4 mpg. I may have to go to the gas station this month:( LOL.
+1 in T8.

If buying new and OSD were an option, a MY20 T8 OSD would be a superb choice with a ~23% increase in battery capacity available since MY16s (i.e., 9.4 kWh v 11.6 kWh).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
25 Posts
It’s not really electric only, the threshold for ICE is just higher with a reduction in acceleration. Floor it from a stop light and the ICE definitely kicks in even in Pure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts

You're talking about having the A/C run during pre-conditioning right? Does the pre-conditioing have a timelimit before it shuts back down? My Prius actually stays on battery power only but the pre-conditioning only lasts like 5 minutes.
Pre conditioning is my favorite most used feature. When plugged in it lasts up to about 20mins. It will get the car ready for use in all weather, cooling the cabin in summer and warming in winter. It also warms the battery in winter for more efficiency.

Shifting to Pure before you drive will help keep it electric only. I live on a hill and often pulling out, if I’m not careful with acceleration, the engine will kick on. But if you watch the gauges, and lighten up on the accelerator, then you should be fine electric only. FYI - you can setup preconditioning by time so your car is ready certain times during weekdays or whatever. Or just turn it on via phone app when you know you’re leaving in 10mins. You can also remote start your car (without being plugged in) via phone for your way home on the train.

·
Registered
60 Posts
T8 has a pretty advanced battery/electric motor management ECU, where ICE will turn on in a number of situations besides just exceeding certain RPM-type of threshold, as a number of posters above noted, regardless of remaining battery capacity.

Driving with temps in the 90's I typically manage to go 5-7 miles in electric only before ICE inevitably kicks in for a minute, regardless of how ginger you are with the throttle, to keep the electrics cool. Rarely gets below freezing where I live, but I recall similar behavior of ICE deciding to turn on where it clearly wasn't called for.

Going up a steep incline, even if you keep an eye on electric/ICE threshold in the cluster and feather the throttle, ICE will still kick in rather quickly.

Having said that, you absolutely can manage to squeeze 100% out of your battery before burning a drop of gasoline, if the conditions allow. Those conditions are: speed, rate of acceleration, ambient temperatures and road grade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts