SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2018 OSD XC 60 2018 and have loved it.
My current car is a little too new to sell to private party and frankly I think I could get a pretty good in trade in value from Volvo, especially if I was buying another Volvo from the same dealer.

So what is your real world experience? Tase that have a T8 are you loving it? Have you had any significant service issues?

I was wanting a Tesla, but nw I am thinking a Volvo T8 might be either a terrific solution or at the least a great "for now" solution...

Thanks in advance...

Profiler

·
Registered
78 Posts
We love ours and would buy it again. Had also considered Tesla (and ended up pre-ordered a Model Y for 2020-2021).

As far as issues, there was a problem with the thermostat in the hybrid system on day one. The dealer replace it and now we are 3,500 miles in and averaging a little over 37mpg. Acceleration is great and road trip range is awesome.

Going to take a road trip up to Oakland tomorrow which will be about 400 miles. Should be able to do it on a single tank of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm starting to love my 2018 XC60 T8 - I almost did a 2020 OSD but I found the 2018 for a steal because I was buying this month. I'm annoyed with the unintuitive controls and the slow touchscreen computer, but you'll already be used to that with yours.

I don't have any other experience driving electrics other than a test drive in a Mercedes GLE550e (the controls in that were even worse - one of the reasons I selected the Volvo). Having said that, I love driving electric in my T8. I'm getting good at keeping it in electric all the time (this may change in the winter as I understand that the ICE starts up occasionally to warm the battery - this has only happened to me once so far). I've only tested the electric range once, when I first got the car. I was driving very inefficiently and I got 16.6 miles off the battery alone. I'm sure I could easily get that to 18 or 20 now - maybe I'll give it a try this week. Anyway, I've put 400 miles on the car and still have just under 1/2 the original tank of gas it was delivered with. While I haven't directly measured my mileage yet (since I've never filled the tank), the VOC app says I get 15.5 mpg in power mode when driving like an idiot (that was yesterday - I was seeing if I could get the emissions light to come on again - see below), and 24-29 mpg when driving in power mode just for fun. It says I get 34 mpg when driving in hybrid mode. Using $$ to convert kWh to gallons, I get high 50's mpge on all electric depending on fuel grade, etc.

No real issues yet - the emissions light came on the first day I got it and about a week in the wipers came on by themselves for three rapid sweeps and the computer threw a wiper fault (though the wipers still worked fine). I have it scheduled for the dealer to look at these tomorrow but yesterday both of these errors went away. A while ago I looked under the hood and found that the intake hose was disconnected from the air cleaner and I reattached it - that might be why the emissions light cleared. And when I called the dealer's service department to make the appointment, they said that the wiper fault was a known issue. In any case, I'll cancel my appointment for now and see if those warnings come back.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I actually bought my T8 without ever driving one. I've driven T5's and T6's as loaners.

After I bought it, I went to go drive one. Just spent 10 minutes in it and I knew I made the right decision.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I love our XC90 T8 same drive train as the XC60 T8. We have had 4 all electric cars so very comfortable with them as well as plain hybrids. This is the first plugin hybrid we have owned. Plugins are kind of in the middle. You get a car that at present is not offered as an all electric but still has some of the benefits of an electric. While the battery size limits how far you can drive on electric only in many cases it is just enough to maximize your overall efficiency. There was only the Mitsubishi Outlander that was a plugin offering up until recently. My 2017 T8 has been a problem free car (11,800 miles to date) and I enjoy driving it immensely. The T8 comes with a lot of extras (better insulation=quieter ride), Federal $5000 Tax Credit as well as California Tax Rebate (other States as well), Diamond Lane sticker, Noise cancelation system, Powerful engine/motor capability...….

·
Registered
251 Posts
The T8 has been fantastic, the combination of extreme plug-in efficiency and 4.9s 0-60 acceleration is downright outrageous.

Just yesterday we drove to Napa and back for some wine tasting, 4 of us enjoying the suave interior, 229.8 miles with much of that freeway driving at 75MPH, started with a full battery plus another full recharge at the winery, total MPG returned was 31.1, 24.6kwh used of which 12.0 was from regen. Can't beat that with a stick...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Driving a XC60 T8 for 1.5 years now I have a problem, can't buy any other new car, unless another T8. :lol:
Every car should have battery and use it at low speed, IMO.
Of course, T8 is the most powerful and affordable hybrid so far, and don't lose trunk space.

Yeh the thermostat was replaced, and now to be replaced with a T-pipe. Other than that, got brake pad/rotor replaced but no problem specific to T8.

The 18-20 mile e-range is great for wife's commute, but now we drive some more than that for kids transportation.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great to hear! There is a 2018 near me, the price is a bit high, $58k but I have a comparable trade in so am hoping to get them to deal.

I live in a small town in the mountains and I imagine I can use electric most of the time here, but traveling down the mountains and back home is where it will matter.

Thanks all!

And boy, you really can’t beat the beauty of the design, can you?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've loved my T8 since the day I got it.
What do I like best about it? Absolutely without question the most comfortable seats I've ever used in any car ever, which is a huge thing for me.

I wish I had more than the 20 battery miles. Somewhere between 50 and 100 would be perfect, but the 20 is pretty damn good most of the time.

I've had two problems with it, but neither of them affected its drivability and both were solved with a simple software update.

20,000 miles on it so far and it's still the best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I would buy a T8 again and again. Although I have an XC90, I am recommending to my sister that she buy a XC60 T8 to replace her BMW X3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bought our 2019 T8 near the end of Feb and love it.....work is 19.9 miles away and free charging..so on battery to and from work......no real complaints..nice to feel the power when one needs it, but I tend to be a very mellow driver (sorry to those on 295 North bound in the mornings) 80s on 8 blasting away and the massaging seats...life is good

1 - 11 of 11 Posts