SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the latest XC60 T8 recharge which has a claimed electric range of 81km (from what I can tell online Volvo produces two different options for different countries e.g. the USA has a 35 mile (57km) model).
The best I can actually get out of the car in Pure mode is 42km and this is with very conservative driving (no or low use of accessories, flat roads, mediums speeds, ambient temp etc). This is only about half the distance Volvo claim it should be able to do.
Has anyone else purchased one of these and what distance are you able to get in Pure mode?
Or has anyone else experienced similar with other Recharge models?
I’d understand not achieving the full 81kms but only get half of that seems to far off, so I’m wondering if the battery is faulty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you certain you have the extended range? the non-extended range has about the range you are getting.
They sold me the extended range (that’s what I’ve paid for) but I’ve questioned if that’s what I’ve actually been given. At 100% charge it only shows 57km range. Would you expect the 57kms range model to achieve about 42kms?

Any way of telling which model I have actually been given?

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Volvo Au lists the range at 77km on the website, not that I really trust the website. I guess the question I have is what system is used to get that rating? Generally the ratings have to meet the standard of local laws. But that doesn't mean the local laws have realistic ratings. I think it was up until 2008, for example, here in the US the EPA ratings didn't include the accessories.

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Here in the US, we get a sheet (called a "monroney label/sticker") that specifies details like what engine/motors you have. If you don't have access to that, you can probably get it from Volvo. But it sounds like either you have the pre-ER (non-ER) version or there's something wrong with your ER.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently purchased the latest XC60 T8 recharge which has a claimed electric range of 81km (from what I can tell online Volvo produces two different options for different countries e.g. the USA has a 35 mile (57km) model).
The 35 mile model is the Extended Range model. Their estimate of 81km (50 miles) is unrealistic. Still you're getting 75% of 56km which is so-so. What's the temperature outside?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 35 mile model is the Extended Range
The 35 mile model is the Extended Range model. Their estimate of 81km (50 miles) is unrealistic. Still you're getting 75% of 56km which is so-so. What's the temperature outside?
The rmodel. Their estimate of 81km (50 miles) is unrealistic. Still you're getting 75% of 56km which is so-so. What's the temperature outside?
The temp is usually between 55-70 Fahrenheit

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also on some counties Volvo websites they advertise a 35mile option and in others a 81km (56 miles). I wouldn’t think these are the same models advertised this differently?
IDK, the US Prius Prime has a 32.2km all electric range vs the New Zealand being 51.9km. I assume they're mostly the same car.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 T8 Recharge
87 Posts
I am from Australia - hybrid mode I get something between 57km - 62km. Pure EV mode, I get something around 62-67km.

You need to accelerate gently (slowly), if you try to max it EV power when accelerating, the battery will discharge a lot faster and cover less mileage.

Also I notice, in slower start stop traffic the car seems to have longer EV range.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 T8 Recharge
87 Posts
Any way of telling which model I have actually been given?
In Australia, if your car is running AAOS, you are on the extended range. If you are running senses, you are on the standard range. Not sure if this applies to New Zealand as well.

Check the charge time may give you an idea - empty your battery, charge it and see how long it takes. The factory household charge cable feeds around 2kwh. For a 18.8kwh battery, it will take 9 - 10 hours. If you have the standard battery 11.8kwh, it will take 6-7 hours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am from Australia - hybrid mode I get something between 57km - 62km. Pure EV mode, I get something around 62-67km.

You need to accelerate gently (slowly), if you try to max it EV power when accelerating, the battery will discharge a lot faster and cover less mileage.

Also I notice, in slower start stop traffic the car seems to have longer EV range.
Thanks hk100k, that’s really helpful to hear someone else’s experience of the T8. This car was actually destined for AU before being re-routed to NZ. Is there only one range option available in AU? And when you charge to 100% what electric km range does it say you have? Mine says 57km every time.
I’ve tested it a few times now, driving as conservatively as possible and can’t achieve more than the 42kms.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In Australia, if your car is running AAOS, you are on the extended range. If you are running senses, you are on the standard range. Not sure if this applies to New Zealand as well.

Check the charge time may give you an idea - empty your battery, charge it and see how long it takes. The factory household charge cable feeds around 2kwh. For a 18.8kwh battery, it will take 9 - 10 hours. If you have the standard battery 11.8kwh, it will take 6-7 hours.
It has the Google system. I’ll try this battery charge test as well and see.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 T8 Recharge
87 Posts
Thanks hk100k, that’s really helpful to hear someone else’s experience of the T8. This car was actually destined for AU before being re-routed to NZ. Is there only one range option available in AU? And when you charge to 100% what electric km range does it say you have? Mine says 57km every time.
I’ve tested it a few times now, driving as conservatively as possible and can’t achieve more than the 42kms.
After I fully charged it, sometimes it shows 65km, sometimes it shows 62km and sometimes 59km.
I think it calculates based on your last power consumption. But generally speaking, I can always achieve over 50km. I think my worst EV range was 54km (there were some up hills in that trip). So I have never able to get over 70km or anything as close as they advertised. My friend has the standard range (the older MY21 model), he only gets 30km while they advertised 45km for that one).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After I fully charged it, sometimes it shows 65km, sometimes it shows 62km and sometimes 59km.
I think it calculates based on your last power consumption. But generally speaking, I can always achieve over 50km. I think my worst EV range was 54km (there were some up hills in that trip). So I have never able to get over 70km or anything as close as they advertised. My friend has the standard range (the older MY21 model), he only gets 30km while they advertised 45km for that one).
Thanks. And it sounds like you then get about 1km for every 1km it says you’ll get? Whereas I only get about two thirds of what it says I’ll get.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That's what I typically get here in the USA ... 60-65km on a full charge in real miles (i.e., not computer-guessed miles)...
I mostly drive in all-electric mode under 45 mph, and turn on the ICE for > 45 mph unless I'm only driving a short distance on a high-speed highway...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Thanks. And it sounds like you then get about 1km for every 1km it says you’ll get? Whereas I only get about two thirds of what it says I’ll get.
Range is heavily correlated to speed driven. If you're driving 100 km/hr or more, you'll only get 2/3 or less of what the computer might project... If you're driving only 40-70 km/hr, you should get close to 60-65 km of all-electric range.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 T8 Recharge
87 Posts
Yes for me the dash estimated EV range is quite accurate. If it says 62km, I may not get 62km, could be 57km. But sometimes, Its says 59, I may get 62. So it is always around 60km mark. I would say real world range is 55km - 65km.

Also I notice that, if you use pure mode, it always gives you 3km extra. I.e. Hybrid EV range estimate 62km and when I switch to pure mode, it shows 65km.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's what I typically get here in the USA ... 60-65km on a full charge in real miles (i.e., not computer-guessed miles)...
I mostly drive in all-electric mode under 45 mph, and turn on the ICE for > 45 mph unless I'm only driving a short distance on a high-speed highway...
Thanks, that’s helpful. What mileage does yours say it will do when you give it a full charge?
And do you get less electric mileage if you run it in hybrid? I would have thought you’d get more but when I switch from Pure to hybrid the range decreases slightly.
I’ll run mine flat tomorrow and give it another test, but I’m not hopeful I’ll get beyond the 42km. Interesting that in the States they’re advertised as 35 miles. I wonder if due to legal differences the USA advertising is more accurate.

·
Registered
647 Posts
congratulations...you've fallen for the BS, and the lies....wait a few years when the efficiency of the battery has degraded and it can't even hold the charge it does now......
.....and now you're complaining.............
I don't care one bit, except that this .....crap......is affecting me now, and will have a devastating effect on me down the road if this "movement" is allowed to continue....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts