SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've speculated before about when Ontario would add the T8 to its list of eligible plug in hybrids for government rebates. I spoke with someone at the Ministry of Transportation today and she said that the T8 is currently being tested by their lab and that they have had it for about 4 weeks. She said it usually takes them 4-6 weeks to test a vehicle, but that she expects it to qualify for the rebate ($6,300) and be eligible for green plates.

So, it should be approved within the next two weeks.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Great news! That's what I was told around $6,300 which is a very nice discount :) But one thing my dealer didn't know is if the rebate can be assigned directly to the dealer or if they just mail you a cheque. Either way I can't complain lol Plus nice bonus to get green plates and take advantage of some of those parking spots and HOV lanes :D

Here's the link to the rebates for other cars etc. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great news! That's what I was told around $6,300 which is a very nice discount :) But one thing my dealer didn't know is if the rebate can be assigned directly to the dealer or if they just mail you a cheque. Either way I can't complain lol Plus nice bonus to get green plates and take advantage of some of those parking spots and HOV lanes :D

Here's the link to the rebates for other cars etc. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml

From the Ministry's page: "Your car dealer can apply for the rebate on your behalf. The dealer is not allowed to charge a fee for this service. You are not required to use dealer financing in order to receive the rebate at point of sale under the EV Incentive Program. The incentive is applied to the after-tax value of the vehicle."

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
From the Ministry's page: "Your car dealer can apply for the rebate on your behalf. The dealer is not allowed to charge a fee for this service. You are not required to use dealer financing in order to receive the rebate at point of sale under the EV Incentive Program. The incentive is applied to the after-tax value of the vehicle."
Thanks I guess once the rebate is confirmed, they will apply it against my lease payments.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Good to hear, on a side note when is everyone expecting delivery's.? Were supposed to get it this month so if what you say is true it's still possible.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
We just ordered so will be a while before we see our T8 :(

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ice white, Inscription, charcoal Nappa leather. I convinced my wife that we should get the XC90, but I couldn't get her to buy into any of the extras.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Ice white, Inscription, charcoal Nappa leather. I convinced my wife that we should get the XC90, but I couldn't get her to buy into any of the extras.
Cool, got white too just Crystal White.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Crystal white inscription here too, amber interior. I stuck with the 20" wheels and the standard suspension. ordered ours in July. Just waiting for the dealer to call and tell me it's delayed for some reason or another.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Crystal white inscription here too, amber interior. I stuck with the 20" wheels and the standard suspension. ordered ours in July. Just waiting for the dealer to call and tell me it's delayed for some reason or another.
Nice! So you should get it anytime now I guess.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The XC90 is not yet on the list, but this was just announced today: https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2016/02/ontario-making-electric-vehicles-more-affordable.html

Some highlights:
Increase the current incentive range for EVs from $5,000 - $8,500 to $6,000 - $10,000
Provide an opportunity to receive an additional $3,000 incentive for vehicles with larger battery capacities
Provide an additional $1,000 incentive for vehicles with five or more seats
Continue to provide incentives linked to battery capacity of more than 5 kilowatt-hours
Cap incentives for vehicles priced between $75,000 and $150,000 at $3,000
Provide up to $1,000 for the purchase and installation of chargers for home and business use.

So, at first it sounds good, but depending on your configuration, the T8 could easily fall into the $75,000 plus category, capping any incentive at $3,000.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The XC90 is not yet on the list, but this was just announced today: https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2016/02/ontario-making-electric-vehicles-more-affordable.html

Some highlights:
Increase the current incentive range for EVs from $5,000 - $8,500 to $6,000 - $10,000
Provide an opportunity to receive an additional $3,000 incentive for vehicles with larger battery capacities
Provide an additional $1,000 incentive for vehicles with five or more seats
Continue to provide incentives linked to battery capacity of more than 5 kilowatt-hours
Cap incentives for vehicles priced between $75,000 and $150,000 at $3,000
Provide up to $1,000 for the purchase and installation of chargers for home and business use.

So, at first it sounds good, but depending on your configuration, the T8 could easily fall into the $75,000 plus category, capping any incentive at $3,000.
Thanks for posting, that's great news! Would be amazing if we can get even higher rebate amount and I would for sure invest into level 2 charger if the incentive is better!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
But I'm curious when is this new incentive supposed to happen? Hopefully before we take possession of our T8's :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Cap incentives for vehicles priced between $75,000 and $150,000 at 3,000

So does that mean we get 3,000 rebate + the 1,000 for over 5 seats + up to 1,000 to set up the charging. I think we got more back off the the old way but it's still a nice incentive regardless.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

So does that mean we get 3,000 rebate + the 1,000 for over 5 seats + up to 1,000 to set up the charging. I think we got more back off the the old way but it's still a nice incentive regardless.
I hope not! We're supposed to get $6,300 rebate as of now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I agree. I don't really like his new language. It was just in a press release today. The details aren't on the Ministry's website yet, but it sounds to me like it'll be a $3,000 cap on rebates in total.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I agree. I don't really like his new language. It was just in a press release today. The details aren't on the Ministry's website yet, but it sounds to me like it'll be a $3,000 cap on rebates in total.
I think they mean "incentive" on top of the actual rebate. They want to increase the rebate from $6,000-$10,000. So capping rebate at $3,000 makes no sense! That would mean that they are reducing the rebate which I think is not the case.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think they mean "incentive" on top of the actual rebate. They want to increase the rebate from $6,000-$10,000. So capping rebate at $3,000 makes no sense! That would mean that they are reducing the rebate which I think is not the case.
My interpretation is that they are increasing all of the rebates and adding incentives, but if you buy a vehicle over $75,000, your total rebate will be capped at $3,000. Perhaps it's a public relations ploy to cap the rebates on the most expensive EVs.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts