SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
456 miles to go, Pandora queued up, Cruise Control set to 75, let's roll...

Yes we made it, but not with much to spare (maybe a gallon of usable fuel left in the tank at the end).
Gotta say the range remaining estimate is ultimately pretty accurate, and when it gets to Zero you better be a hop and a skip from a gas station because there ain't much extra...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I thought you could do a little better with 18gal tank at 28mpg. For 17 gal gas it should be able to go 20 miles more. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought you could do a little better with 18gal tank at 28mpg. For 17 gal gas it should be able to go 20 miles more. :)
Yeah if you actually do the math, 456 miles divided by 11.066g only = 26.72MPG
That being said, totally different fuel pumps for those fill-ups, so that's not an entirely fair and accurate method.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I was thinking the same with the tires, they look pretty knobby. Bet you get better mileage with some smoother tires.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
456 miles to go, cruise control set to 75, and...
Curious; did you experiment with the green bar indicator in eco mode? On my SPA xc90 T6, flat freeways get most favorable green bar if I stay somewhere below 65mph (I don't recall exactly what speed). I tried different steady cruise speeds on a recent 5-night 2500-mile trip. 75mph or higher fared quite worse for me, although better than some speeds in between <65 and >75, possibly due to gearing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I still have my stock 21" rims & tires so yup, doing some acceleration/noise/MPG comparison videos are on the to-do list.
That being said, speed is such a huge factor...I'm sure if I cut my Cruise speed to 70 instead of 75 that would have easily boosted me up towards 30 MPG.
THAT being said, since my old SUV was a V8 Nissan Pathfinder that got 15 MPG on a good day, I am in no way complaining! :-D

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’m missing something here. Did they increase the size of the gas tank on the 2019 T8 vs the 2018 T8?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yup, 13.2g in 2018 went up to 18.5g for 2019 (2020 as well?). Not quite the 18.8 of the non-PHEV XCs but close...
Damn! Now i’m jealous!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curious; did you experiment with the green bar indicator in eco mode? On my SPA xc90 T6, flat freeways get most favorable green bar if I stay somewhere below 65mph (I don't recall exactly what speed). I tried different steady cruise speeds on a recent 5-night 2500-mile trip. 75mph or higher fared quite worse for me, although better than some speeds in between <65 and >75, possibly due to gearing.
Not sure what you're referring to here, is that 'green bar' perhaps a non-PHEV thing? Slower should always be more efficient until you drop out of top gear, probably something in the 50-60MPH range.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Not sure what you're referring to here, is that 'green bar' perhaps a non-PHEV thing? Slower should always be more efficient until you drop out of top gear, probably something in the 50-60MPH range.
It is possible that the dash indicator for T6 and T8 are different (in this case, I'm assuming xc90 vs xc60 within SPA is not a factor); on the SPA xc90 T6, there is a green bar (actually, more like an arc along the tachometer dial replacement) that reflects fuel efficiency status when the drive mode is in "Eco". While it follows the general expectation of not very efficient at very high speeds, it also doesn't look favorable up to around 35mph. I thought that's primarily the gearing effect of the IC engine, and thus in long drives, even for T8, the effect should persist and thus having the same display makes sense.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is possible that the dash indicator for T6 and T8 are different (in this case, I'm assuming xc90 vs xc60 within SPA is not a factor); on the SPA xc90 T6, there is a green bar (actually, more like an arc along the tachometer dial replacement) that reflects fuel efficiency status when the drive mode is in "Eco". While it follows the general expectation of not very efficient at very high speeds, it also doesn't look favorable up to around 35mph. I thought that's primarily the gearing effect of the IC engine, and thus in long drives, even for T8, the effect should persist and thus having the same display makes sense.
Oh that's probably similar to what you see towards the end in my dash photos. In the T8 it more shows you if you are driving in EV mode or not, and if you are how far you can push it before the ICE fires up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you enter in your destination in the cars navigation? Apparently it makes a difference according to this owners manual entry..

Edit: Apparently the predictive effiency is only available in some markets.. Hmmm, which?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tested that a bit and noticed no difference at all. I was expecting something like the system automatically saving enough electricity for the last few miles of surface street driving to my destination, or saving/generating battery capacity to deal with known coming red zones of traffic, but nope, I didn't notice any change. (Also FWIW from a UI perspective, I find using Android Auto significantly better than the in-car nav system.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts