SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping around possibly for a 2016 T8 XC90, and I was wondering how the range/battery capacity has kept over the years? Have you noticed degradation in the range you are getting now, compared to when you initially got the car in 2016 or so?

Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine was delivered July 2017.

Range is still pretty consistent. My assessment is empirical rather than measured scientifically.

The car always claims 34km on full charge but that’s not dependable. I live in the mountains.

What I can say is I make the same journey every day (give or take) and I’m not noticing that my battery is flat where it once had range.

My battery gets completely run down and completely charged up every day though. I’m not sure if this makes any difference but with phones not discharging fully can affect battery life.

If I were buying an older car from that era I would pay big attention to the engine. The downfall of hybrid travel is that the engine gets started mid journey when cold. I think mine is suffering from being started halfway up a mountain under load and at speed. Frankly it sounds rattley and clattery like a diesel engine.

I would also pay attention to any air suspension. The car should not roll around and should ride smoothly. Make sure tyre pressures are right first before test driving.

Hope that is useful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My experience is that it has not changed over the time that I have driven the car. I have owned it almost three years, however, not four. I regularly drive the car in "Pure" mode to get to/from a train station on a daily basis, so I have taken it fairly often through the cycle, and I charged the battery almost every night over those three years. So, despite being hard on the battery, it seems to have held up quite well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I believe they set “empty” as somewhere more, like 20%, to avoid full discharge which dramatically increases the number of cycles the battery handles. It’s a common strategy.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
My T8 is from October 2015, and we drive on e-power a lot. No regression noticiable.
+1 and same here. My MY16 is Oct. 2015 build and into service on 2/1/2016. No degradation noticeable. All’s good and I charge daily, except when away for an extended period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. That is helpful information. And looking back, how has been reliability on your 2016-17 models? I am really interested in long term outlook, actual mechanical and electrical items, not so much the nitpicking of a new car woes (like rattles, adjustments, paint corrections, or other factory issues from a new car in the first few months).

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Thanks. That is helpful information. And looking back, how has been reliability on your 2016-17 models? I am really interested in long term outlook, actual mechanical and electrical items, not so much the nitpicking of a new car woes (like rattles, adjustments, paint corrections, or other factory issues from a new car in the first few months).
As long as the maintenance has been done (or gets done) and the latest modules’ software updates are installed, I foresee the MY16s and MY17s being very reliable.

There were a few build and component issues but mostly software issues that have been resolved. Except about ~ five notable of the issues in the first two years, I may have had one subsequent issue and it was a recall drain/breather hose replacement.

At 41K miles and multiple long distance trips in extreme temperatures (-30°F - 105°F) and weather (full sun, heavy rain, snow and ice), I only had ACC / PA2 become disabled. It was a software compatibility issue and a software fix.

I have little-to-no concern about ongoing reliability for the next 6 years and beyond. Obviously, the hybrid system is the biggest unknown but that did not concern me enough to avoid the T8. The hybrid battery is covered by an 8-year warranty (10 yrs in Calif.), plus I have VIP Platinum extended warranty.

If you buy anything but new, I would just make sure that the vehicle has a Service 2.0 software update performed by the dealer and determine if you have all of the available upgrades (that you want and for your vehicle was equipped), plus the normal due diligence.

I would and have followed my advice as to every make and model that I have ever owned or that I assisted others in buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts