SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The EPA ratings vary significantly between model years. This is partially due to the battery upgrades on the MY2018 and newer vehicles.

I'm interested to learn what people are actually achieving.

Please post:
- Model Year
- Changing Routine (ie. Daily, Never)
- Average Daily Commute
- Average EV Range
- Vehicle's Average MPG

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can’t even begin to give you meaningful numbers, since it totally depends on the road. The slightest downhill net will get me ~5 miles on 1/8 charge, and going uphill might burn half your charge in 2-3 miles. I live on a bench, so I usually get to my destination with 3/4 charge and *might* be able to make it home with zero fuel consumed.

I could probably find a really flat stretch of street and test the range, but it would be purely academic. I will say that the battery is small enough that there’s not a lot of opportunity for averaging out, you can use it all with a few miles of uphill.

·
Registered
115 Posts
- Model Year

Multiple times a day

- Average Daily Commute
Kids get dropped off and picked up at school 2miles away

- Average EV Range
No clue probably 15-20miles

- Vehicle's Average MPG
VOC app says 83mpg, only have 500miles on the odo.. and still have a little more than 1/2 tank of gas the dealership filled the car up with.

It's very difficult to judge mpg, because it hugely depends on driving routines for the T8...

·
Registered
111 Posts
2019 T8
7k miles so far
21 mile commute each way, mix of suburbs, brief highway and inner-city
Average EV range: don't know
30.9 total avg MPG over 7k miles
I charge each night for the morning commute but don't have an ability to charge while at work (my garage doesn't support it)

I drive exclusively in hybrid. I could get more out of the battery if I switched it around between pure and hybrid. There are plenty of times when I'm driving 50 mph or so pretty steadily but it's still in battery mode. I would have thought by that speed the computer would have switched it to ICE as that's when the engine is more efficient (that also would leave me some battery for the end of my morning commute, when I'm in city driving.)

Edit:

Here's a readout from the app on a recent morning commute:

Duration: 40 minutes
Distance: 22.6 miles
Fuel consumption: 0.1 gallons (129.8 mpg)
Electric consumption: 7.8 kWh
Electric regeneration: 1.8 kWh

·
Registered
250 Posts
2016: 16 to 19 miles range (depends on speed, temp, terrain). I charge daily at home. Round trip commute is 13 to 16 miles depending on routing. I can do this all electric other than winter (due to range reduction related to temps and the ICE starts when it is cold). Overall 51mpg in 23k miles. In the winter the ICE turns on nearly every drive due to outside temp. On extended car trips with no charging we average 24 to 29mpg. I have gone as far as 1900 miles on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
- Model Year: 2019
- Charging Routine (ie. Daily, Never): Twice per day = @work (it's free!) + @home (to top it off).
- Average Daily Commute: Total 22 miles per weekday.
- Average EV Range: Never calculated it but I wish it was more more more!
EDITS FOR 2019 ELECTRIC-ONLY RANGE TESTS
7/21: 20> 25.4mi, 87F, A/C
7/27: 20> 25.4mi, 80F, no A/C
8/18: 19> 24.3mi, 86F, A/C
8/24: 20> 23.8mi, 71F, no A/C
11/29: 19> 19.9mi, 34F, no heat
EDITS FOR 2020 ELECTRIC-ONLY RANGE TESTS
01/05: 19> 16.8mi, 35F, heat on
04/04: 19> 17.6mi, 42F, heat on
All hypermiling and light traffic/hills unless specified.

- Vehicle's Average MPG: 45mpg @ 6k miles, calculated the "old fashioned way" of total miles divided by input gallons - i keep a spreadsheet. I'm a hypermiler on mostly flat terrain with essentially continuous 40mph driving. Listening to the awesome B&W while driving helps me hypermile :) We're in the Northeast so we get good cold weather exposure, and the current MPG reflects predominantly winter miles without use of any heaters (I like cold!). 2019 will be the XC90's first full summer, so hopefully even higher MPGs!

I believe it's important to note that driving style (speed racer vs hypermiler), driving terrain (uphills both ways vs flat), and driving type (stop & go vs highway) have a huge impact on MPG and it's necessary to understand these factors.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Added pure electric range vs car-reported air temperature up until 2020 JUL 18

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
- Model Year
2018 XC60 T8

Daily, additional between odd trips, twice in weekend

- Average Daily Commute
20 miles round trip, but add 10 to 30 odds sometimes. 2-3k miles on long trip a year

- Average EV Range
Maybe 18 miles, never cared

- Vehicle's Average MPG
All time average 42MPG, recent average jumps between 50 and 28MPG, when on long trip.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
It's very difficult to judge mpg, because it hugely depends on driving routines for the T8...
Very true from tank full to tank full. The T8 is an awesome driving experience. As for efficiency, I’ve gotten as high as 121.4mpg (>1200mi while consuming a tank full, 2017 has 13.2gal tank) to as little as 15mpg (when towing) and everything in between depending on what our driving needs were.

Over 18,500 miles, I’ve been averaging 42.6mpg which includes 2000+ miles of towing and >3000mi of driving without being able to plug in (while on OSD across Europe - US spec EV cars use older style Type 1 plugs vs. Type 2 varieties across Europe). On my current fill up, I’ve driven more than 509mi, have used less than half a tank, have towed about 50mi of the 509, and driven 40+mi without having charged. Current indicated 84mpg. It all depends!

For my work day commute and traveling between office locations I’m all EV. I plug in using the included TurboCord at work and typically recharge 2x per day. On weekends it’s easy to run errands have EVSE nearly everywhere I go and have been able to drive anywhere from 40-60miles during the day without using gas while plugging in as I go between errands. During a week where we’re not traveling or towing on weekends, I can typically get by an all EV. @Shadwosor is correct in pointing out that EV range will vary wildly and not just based on road and topography, but temp, traffic conditions, and driver as well as other variables. I have gotten as much as 19mi on a single charge which was spectacular as it involved some hill climbing but also some nice descents and it was also during an optimal ambient temp of about 72-74F. Highway will burn up more battery than surface streets, towing on Pure/battery alone will half the range, and mountain driving changes all the rules entirely. I’ve been able to go 50mi on a nearly empty tank (long story short I missed a stop bet on having an equally long descent as climb) of gas while towing thanks to having made it to the top of a pass and then regenerating the whole way down to recapture enough energy to make it to the next gas station. It was amazing but stressful and would not have been possible in a non-T8. Battery saved the day!

EPA has a set standard by which EV range is calculated to baseline all cars and that’s how the 20mi is determined.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
- Model Year: MY16
- Changing Routine (ie. Daily, Never): Daily
- Average Daily Commute: 20 miles
- Average EV Range: 11 miles (<20 F) and 18 miles (>50 F)
- Vehicle's Average MPG: 42 (commuting) to 83

Other Considerations

-Charging frequency if Daily: Once per day (rarely twice a day and never more)
- Drive Mode: Hybrid (but Pure when I am driving alone - limited climate)
- Additional Heater Setting: On (Winter) Off (Spring, Summer, Fall)
- Seat Heat: Driver On (Winter)

My T8 is our family's primary driver, including out of town jaunts - > 80 miles, towing, extended trips 1,000 miles - 5,000 miles roundtrip, My lifetime mpg is 31.3 over 39,000 miles in 3 1/3 years.

·
Registered
898 Posts

The EPA ratings vary significantly between model years. This is partially due to the battery upgrades on the MY2018 and newer vehicles.

I'm interested to learn what people are actually achieving.

Please post:
- Model Year
- Average Daily Commute
- Average EV Range
- Vehicle's Average MPG
Interesting how the MY18 is showing the best gas mileage yet it’s not certified enough to permanently disable auto Stop/start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Interesting how the MY18 is showing the best gas mileage yet it’s not certified enough to permanently disable auto Stop/start.

This is the exact reason. It would not be certified with higher MPG than MY2019 if without stop/start on by default.

·
Registered
898 Posts
This is the exact reason. It would not be certified with higher MPG than MY2019 if without stop/start on by default.
I guess you’re right
But these numbers in the picture don’t make sense to me at all
MY18 has better economy yet MY19 has better mileage. How can that be true ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I guess you’re right
But these numbers in the picture don’t make sense to me at all
MY18 has better economy yet MY19 has better mileage. How can that be true ?

2019 has a larger gas tank

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
2019 has a larger gas tank

Thank you that makes sense now.

Yet it’s another evidence that for some reason, the information is masked / incomplete and somehow, we the consumer have to trust integrity of advertisers in specific and the information we are fed in general.

This is just ridiculous, they are not even showing a proper comparison showing variables and constants

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thank you that makes sense now.

Yet it’s another evidence that for some reason, the information is masked / incomplete and somehow, we the consumer have to trust integrity of advertisers in specific and the information we are fed in general.

This is just ridiculous, they are not even showing a proper comparison showing variables and constants

It's there, just the OP cut it off in the screenshot...

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40407&id=39383&id=37703

And it seems I cut off the model years, whoops, 2019 left, 2018 middle and 2017 right

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm so glad I have the larger gas tank -- the five-gallon difference is the equivalent to about a week's worth of driving for me or more.

I hope they don't drop back to the smaller tank in the future, unless there's a need to accommodate a battery capacity with a transformational improvement in the electric range, not just going from like 18 miles to 22 miles.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm so glad I have the larger gas tank -- the five-gallon difference is the equivalent to about a week's worth of driving for me or more.

I hope they don't drop back to the smaller tank in the future, unless there's a need to accommodate a battery capacity with a transformational improvement in the electric range, not just going from like 18 miles to 22 miles.
How I wish it could be retrofitted and cheaply so, so I too could enjoy longer range on long distance driving.

Enjoy your better ride

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Over 30k miles or so, my mpg was about 25 mpg. But that masked huge variation. Winter, about 17-18 mpg, summer around 28-30.

EV range - from 15 to 4, depending on temperature.

The range sucked for long trips. I would rarely get 300 miles on the highway. I got as little as 120 on a really cold day. On that day, on a 500 miles trip, I stopped for gas 4 times.

Of course, in town, you can get virtually unlimited range, provided you recharge frequently.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Please post:
- Model Year - 2016
- Changing Routine (ie. Daily, Never) - daily
- Average Daily Commute
- Average EV Range - ~10-14 miles
- Vehicle's Average MPG - 32 mpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Please post:
- Model Year - 2017
- Changing Routine (ie. Daily, Never) - + 1 daily
- Average Daily Commute: depends on workload 25 - 35 miles day
- Average EV Range - ~18-23 miles
- Vehicle's Average MPG - 55 mpg

I'm in Belgium and had the latest software installed letting me use more of the hybrid battery. EV range increased wit 2 or 3 miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts