SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else is bumping into an issue I’ve been having for 6 months. I’ve spoken with Volvo here in NZ and they’ve had no reports of it.

Occasionally, no matter what the charge level is of the battery, if I push through the throttle out of electric drive into petrol, the electric refuses to come back until the following day. It doesn’t matter if I switch the car off for one or two hours and then drive again, it stays in petrol mode. It doesn’t matter if I change to pure mode, hybrid mode or an individual mode, still stays on petrol. Doesn’t matter if I drive for 30 minutes to warm up the engine, it stays on petrol mode.

It doesn’t happen every time, it happens once every couple of weeks, but sometimes two or three days in a row. It’s seemingly random. I can’t replicate the problem when I want to.

I’m in the fortunate position to barely use the petrol engine on my daily routine so being stuck using petrol for 20 miles is frustrating.

I’ve taken it in for a check and there were no errors in the log, nothing showed up on tests. They updated the software but the problem repeated a week later.

Car is performing perfectly otherwise. Any ideas from anyone?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
What is your outside air temperature and climate settings when it happens? The A/C compressor may require ICE to cool down the cabin. (Edited based on Lamarguy’s posts below)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had something kind of similar. I took my 2018 T8 to the dealer for its first service visit. They let me know that there was a fleet campaign for the ERAD thermostat but that it would take a little while to fix. I didn't have time to wait for the ERAD so I just had them do the service, which included a software update. On the ride home, the car experienced symptoms similar to yours in that the electric worked for about two minutes and then went to the ICE for the rest of the drive. When I got it home, the car did not accept charging (even though the LED was flashing green).

I took it back into the dealer and they did the ERAD thermostat service bulletin and updated the software again. It has been running fine ever since.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Occasionally, no matter what the charge level is of the battery, if I push through the throttle out of electric drive into petrol, the electric refuses to come back until the following day. It doesn’t matter if I switch the car off for one or two hours and then drive again, it stays in petrol mode. It doesn’t matter if I change to pure mode, hybrid mode or an individual mode, still stays on petrol. Doesn’t matter if I drive for 30 minutes to warm up the engine, it stays on petrol mode.

It doesn’t happen every time, it happens once every couple of weeks, but sometimes two or three days in a row. It’s seemingly random. I can’t replicate the problem when I want to.
Definitely abnormal. Make a video of the problem the next time is happens and push your service manager for a resolution.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Somewhat off topic, but wouldn’t the T8 use an electric air conditioning compressor? Seeing as you can drive them on 100% electric, I would hope you wouldn’t have to sweat it out for the time you’re running on all electric?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yup, though not quite the heat of the summer here yet, we’ve only gotten into the low 90s so far, most days I still run all electric after the car has been sitting in the sun all day (so is hot) and the AC is blasting.

On rare occasions the ICE kicks on for no reason that I’ve been able to discern, runs a few minutes, then kicks back off. This happened more often when it was colder so at a guess I’d say the ICE was needed to heat something up, but I dunno. Nothing like the symptoms described here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies team.

I don’t use AC at all. When it’s warm I wind down the windows, when cold, I use the prewarm and additional heater for a couple of minutes. Luckily I don’t live in a place that gets too hot or cold.

I’ve been thinking that the issue might have something to do with hybrid battery temperature. Since it refuses to go back to electric mode until the following day maybe it is waiting for the battery to cool right back to ambient temperature? I would have thought that an error would be thrown up if there was a thermometer issue though. Has anyone had experience with their battery thermometer being faulty? I know some here had replacements. The battery cooling fan definitely works, I can hear it come on when I park and plug in.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I’ve been thinking that the issue might have something to do with hybrid battery temperature. Since it refuses to go back to electric mode until the following day maybe it is waiting for the battery to cool right back to ambient temperature?
I drive around in 100+F everyday. Has nothing to do with outside temperature.

Your hybrid powertrain is malfunctioning. Take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That’s what I have done, and they could find nothing wrong so handed it back after a sortware update. They asked that I take note of when it happens each time so that they can inform Volvo HQ. What I’m trying to do is find answers to prove to them what is wrong.

·
Registered
997 Posts

Actually the internal ac comes on when very hot out to cool some components. that may be kicking in.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Actually the internal ac comes on when very hot out to cool some components. that may be kicking in.
The AC compressor is 400v and is powered by the hybrid battery (disconnected from ICE). ICE is not involved in cooling the hybrid system (battery or ERAD), Sensus, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same issue then got a check engine light

Wondering if anyone else is bumping into an issue I’ve been having for 6 months. I’ve spoken with Volvo here in NZ and they’ve had no reports of it.

I’m in the fortunate position to barely use the petrol engine on my daily routine so being stuck using petrol for 20 miles is frustrating.

I’ve taken it in for a check and there were no errors in the log, nothing showed up on tests. They updated the software but the problem repeated a week later.

Car is performing perfectly otherwise. Any ideas from anyone?
I think I have the same issue for approx. 3 hours, the car won't shut down the ICE regardless what I do, then at the end of the drive the check engine light comes on, scan shows P0EA773 - Auxiliary cooling system performance, Mechanical faults, Actuator stuck OFF. Parked the car over night in garage and then the next day it will drive on HV battery again (still w/ the check engine light on).
The dealer did the ERAD thermostat recall on the car a week ago, and it's going back again for the CEL.

I would suggest find someone with VIDA subscription or have a diag tool that supports SPA Volvos. If this is happening there has to be some pending code in there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I have the same issue for approx. 3 hours, the car won't shut down the ICE regardless what I do, then at the end of the drive the check engine light comes on, scan shows P0EA773 - Auxiliary cooling system performance, Mechanical faults, Actuator stuck OFF. Parked the car over night in garage and then the next day it will drive on HV battery again (still w/ the check engine light on).
The dealer did the ERAD thermostat recall on the car a week ago, and it's going back again for the CEL.

I would suggest find someone with VIDA subscription or have a diag tool that supports SPA Volvos. If this is happening there has to be some pending code in there.
Thanks for that info. I’ve taken it to the Volvo dealer who have found no error codes with their diagnosis tool. It seems they won’t do anything until a code pops up.

Please let me know if you get the problem again after the fixes, or if you even don’t get errors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for that info. I’ve taken it to the Volvo dealer who have found no error codes with their diagnosis tool. It seems they won’t do anything until a code pops up.

Please let me know if you get the problem again after the fixes, or if you even don’t get errors.
Ask the dealership for a printout of all the pending codes, SPA cars usually have a lot of them (they are refered to as "ghost" codes). Most of them won't trigger a customer-facing warning message. The status message would be something like "Long duration fault detected X times by the in-vehicle DTC test". They usually don't mean anything wrong with the car, a simple timing miss on some ECUs can set them. But if you see repeating codes even unconfirmed ones could give you some very helpful clues on what is going on with the car.

VIDA will also provide a HV battery health report, you should be able to ask the dealer for a print out.

I just dropped off my car at the dealer today, the check engine light is caused by P0EA773, Volvo have a technical journal for this particular issue. The printout I got from them last time does have code BECM-P0C4200 (Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Coolant Temp. Sensor A Circuit) pending, but not confirmed yet.

My dealership was telling me Volvo Cars in the US is giving them a hard time in terms of approving warranty claims . Not sure if this is the case in New Zealand, but I found that calling Volvo Customer Service and open a case to ask them to monitor the dealer repair on a specific issue helps quiet a bit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ask the dealership for a printout of all the pending codes, SPA cars usually have a lot of them (they are refered to as "ghost" codes). Most of them won't trigger a customer-facing warning message. The status message would be something like "Long duration fault detected X times by the in-vehicle DTC test". They usually don't mean anything wrong with the car, a simple timing miss on some ECUs can set them. But if you see repeating codes even unconfirmed ones could give you some very helpful clues on what is going on with the car.

VIDA will also provide a HV battery health report, you should be able to ask the dealer for a print out.

I just dropped off my car at the dealer today, the check engine light is caused by P0EA773, Volvo have a technical journal for this particular issue. The printout I got from them last time does have code BECM-P0C4200 (Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Coolant Temp. Sensor A Circuit) pending, but not confirmed yet.

My dealership was telling me Volvo Cars in the US is giving them a hard time in terms of approving warranty claims . Not sure if this is the case in New Zealand, but I found that calling Volvo Customer Service and open a case to ask them to monitor the dealer repair on a specific issue helps quiet a bit.
Thanks so much for that, I’ll ask for the print out.

I had the issue again yesterday. Right from the first ignition start after charging all night. Battery was full, there was no reason for it to start in petrol mode. It stayed there for my entire drive. I ended up driving into the dealer and putting my keys on his desk and saying I’m almost ready to hand the car back to you as I’m so frustrated. He agreed to have the vehicle in overnight so that the techs in Sweden can hook up to it and do a deep dive into the codes. Hopefully that will show something up.

The dealer has been really good, really helpful, always gives me a replacement car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All,

Just posting an update.

After 5 weeks in the workshop troubleshooting and replacing parts that didn’t need replacing, the fix suggested by Volvo HQ in Sweden seems to have worked. The tensioner pulley kept getting stuck and not releasing back to a ‘relaxed state’ therefore it was holding onto petrol mode. This has no sensor on it and was not detected as being at fault, but it was throwing things further down the line into fault, i.e. the cam sensor and the crank sensor. It was also throwing the engine timing out.

I’ve been using it for about 4 weeks now with no issues. Volvo also came to the party with a free 12 month extension to the warranty.

So good news, and I’m a happy camper again.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Hi All,

Just posting an update.

After 5 weeks in the workshop troubleshooting and replacing parts that didn’t need replacing, the fix suggested by Volvo HQ in Sweden seems to have worked. The tensioner pulley kept getting stuck and not releasing back to a ‘relaxed state’ therefore it was holding onto petrol mode. This has no sensor on it and was not detected as being at fault, but it was throwing things further down the line into fault, i.e. the cam sensor and the crank sensor. It was also throwing the engine timing out.

I’ve been using it for about 4 weeks now with no issues. Volvo also came to the party with a free 12 month extension to the warranty.

So good news, and I’m a happy camper again.
Great it is fixed! Is it the timing belt tensioner pulley?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great it is fixed! Is it the timing belt tensioner pulley?
I’m not 100% sure sorry, but I think so. The service manager described it as a belt that tightens up when in petrol mode and then relaxes back to give power to the electric motors. This seems to be the thing that wasn’t happening, it wasn’t releasing the tension so the electric motor wasn’t allowed to work again.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The service manager described it as a belt that tightens up when in petrol mode and then relaxes back to give power to the electric motors. This seems to be the thing that wasn’t happening, it wasn’t releasing the tension so the electric motor wasn’t allowed to work again.
That explanation doesn't make any sense to me.

Both ICE and ERAD can run simultaneously (e.g., Constant AWD mode) or operate independently (e.g., PURE mode). In PURE mode, the torque converter disconnects (same as "coasting" in ECO mode). ICE isn't involved in PURE mode because it's physically disconnected from the front axle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts