SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Musk said it on Twitter tester and he doesn’t have the best reputation for keeping his word.. even if it takes a couple years, will be nice once there is a standard. Good to see we’re moving in that direction. I wonder how they would do it- it’s up to us to get the plug adapter, we just won’t be towed for parking there?
Does anyone know why we can’t use fast charging stations on T8s? I think I read that somewhere. Makes little sense since we can install a 240v charger at home - is that different than a fast charger?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Aren't Superchargers DC fast chargers? If so I don't think the T8 is compatible - I don't think the onboard charger can handle that much current. The full BEVs would be, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Ha, it's not an issue with charging "amperage", it's DC vs AC. :p

Only BEVs (not PHEVs) have DC "fast charge" capability.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We can already use destination chargers with an adapter. I did it the other day.

DC supercharging is another thing altogether and while opening it up in principle is great, there’d be technical work to do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We can already use destination chargers with an adapter. I did it the other day.

DC supercharging is another thing altogether and while opening it up in principle is great, there’d be technical work to do.
Is it allowed to do that or have you ever gotten grief parking in those spots? Where is a good place to get the cable

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is it allowed to do that or have you ever gotten grief parking in those spots? Where is a good place to get the cable
They’re usually for hotel or restaurant customers, and technically I think they’re owned by the the businesses. I don’t think they’d care so long as you’re actually using the spot to charge and are a customer, but I guess I can understand some possibility thinking “hey, Teslas only!”. Probably more of an issue if you’re the Tesla driver and desperately need to charge, thinking you’re entitled to it.

To clarify, I know there’s a partner program where companies can register their chargers to show up on the Tesla charger search. I’m just speaking generally about pulling up to a business and seeing a free charger, I have no idea if they’re official destination chargers or just a random one someone has installed for their customers.

I have something called a “TeslaTap” in the hood compartment, you can probably Google for it by name and find one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh, I should add that at the place I ski there is one standard j1772 charger. I have gotten that spot once or twice but often see a Tesla there, using an adapter. In fact I see that all over. I say if they can use ours we can use theirs :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looked into this more and my understanding is that Tesla installs the chargers for free on premise but the property owner pays for the electricity and sets the rules about who can park there. I thought that Tesla paid for the electricity. Don’t have as many hesitations knowing that property owner sets the rules for benefit of patrons.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You guys are discussing completely different things.

The OP is taking about Elon's "promise" to eventually open up its superchargers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You guys are discussing completely different things.

The OP is taking about Elon's "promise" to eventually open up its superchargers.
Not really though - we started talking about destination chargers since the OPs question was about T8s being able to use Tesla superchargers. T8s of course will never be able to use super chargers, even if they open up, but they can use Tesla standard chargers, and they can do it now. Seems relevant

1 - 13 of 13 Posts