SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Congrats! :beer:

The gas-only mileage (combined city/hwy) is very good, on par with T6 on hwy.

The e-range is rated 14miles? Interesting. Maybe you can try and see what the real life number is.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Congratulations! And fuel economy is pretty impressive wow!

·
Registered
837 Posts
All electric driving range listed as 0 to 13 miles on epa sticker. 53 Mpge
Ouch...bit of a disappointment there. Basically, the gas engine is used more often than not, hence the 0-13 mile range. Really wish Volvo had gone with a tad larger battery, but I'm sure it will be a sweet ride nonethless, and net some impressive mpg figures overall if you charge daily and have a modest commute.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Ouch...bit of a disappointment there. Basically, the gas engine is used more often than not, hence the 0-13 mile range. Really wish Volvo had gone with a tad larger battery, but I'm sure it will be a sweet ride nonethless, and net some impressive mpg figures overall if you charge daily and have a modest commute.
EPA test is much more strict than NEDC test. Real world range could be 20miles or even more.

https://transportevolved.com/2015/0...34-5-mpg-26-mile-ev-range-on-nedc-test-cycle/

But while the NEDC test cycle predicts an optimistic 26 miles per charge, we feel it’s worth noting that the NEDC test cycle is atrociously optimistic about both fuel economy and electric range.

Under the same NEDC test cycle for EV range, the Nissan LEAF electric car is rated as having a range of 124 miles per charge. That’s far more than the official 75-mile rating of the U.S. EPA. for the same car. Consequentially, we’d expect the EPA to rate the electric-only range of the XC90 T8 to be somewhere around 15 miles per charge, with real-world range anywhere from 10-20 miles, depending on driver skill, weather conditions and road type.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The 14 mile EPA all electric range is pretty small, but some of our European brethren report larger numbers in real life, I think.

At any rate, I'm excited to get one early-ish next year.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
They should make a 5-seat T8 and put more battery in the back. Should be very attractive.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
For driving 1895 miles I've used 42 gallons of Petrol (45 mpg) and 478 kWh electricity.
That's very impressive!!! Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
The VOC app has a so called logbook. When you enable this feature you not only get detailed information about every ride, you can also donwload all details in an Excel sheet ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just took delivery of new T8.

Awesome, I'm surprised you were able to order the 22's, I thought they were a dealer accessory on the inscription.
The fuel ratings are confusing if you compare them against the T6 on fueleconomy.gov website. Maybe the testing
Has changed after the VW scandal?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For driving 1895 miles I've used 42 gallons of Petrol (45 mpg) and 478 kWh electricity.
Any idea why the usable battery amount is 2/3 of available? I'd love to see if this is the same in Europe.

This came from the on line user manual

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Some capacity is reserved to preserve battery pack life. If drained below that level, battery life and capacity will be affected negatively.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Any idea why the usable battery amount is 2/3 of available?
Battery lifespan is dramatically reduced if they are discharged to 0% and/or recharged all the way to 100%. Vehicle manufacturers program their battery management systems to keep them somewhere in the middle (usually something like 20%-80%) to combat that effect.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts