SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, from the manual, the jack point seems suitable to be used with in car scissor jack.
How to use floor jack and jack stand correctly?

Since need to disable the air suspension in settings, I guess I will either go to dealer for tire rotation or do it myself. Not sure if Costco can do it.

White Daytime Sky Atmosphere Line

·
Registered
251 Posts
Disabling the air suspension can be done in the car settings UI easily enough, just do it before delivering to Costco: Settings -> My Car -> Parking Brake & Suspension

I've used the jack points for a standard floor jack, had no problems. Have not really gotten underneath with a wheel off so haven't figured out alternate jack stand points yet...

·
Registered
78 Posts
why does it need to be disabled?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Costco will do your balance and rotation for around $27 each time, assuming your tires were not purchased at Costco. Be prepared to either make an appointment or get there before the store opens or just drop it off. They are very busy most all the time. They do a great job, and you cannot beat the price.

As for jacking the car up. I have always used the identified scissor jack points underneath the car. I use a floor jack but have wondered where to place the jack stands after jacking up the car. I often place the jack stand underneath one of the suspension knuckles?

Probably the reason you turn the system off is that it might try to compensate as if the tire had dropped into a deep hole.

Models with leveling control
If the vehicle is equipped with the optional pneumaticsuspension, this feature must be turned off
before raising the vehicle with the jack.
To do so, go to

Settings Vehicle Disable
Leveling Control
in the center display's Top
view.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Disabling the air suspension can be done in the car settings UI easily enough, just do it before delivering to Costco: Settings -> My Car -> Parking Brake & Suspension.
My experience has been - it resets the next time you start/move the vehicle. So, the tire technician will need to disable it after moving it onto the lift.

That said, it may not be an issue when putting it on a lift because all four wheels are lifted at the same time. It's absolutely necessary when only lifting one or two wheels.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did it this morning at home with two floor jacks. I put a stud between jack top and car jack point. Works well for tire rotation.
But this is not for oil change under the car. The holes at front jack point are too close. I can't put jack stand there next to floor jack.
Even with the scissor jack, I double a jack stand fits there.
Maybe have to put jack stand under suspension knuckle, like I did on other lighter cars. But I want to be 100% sure.

Of course I disabled level control settings and it remains disabled after I start the car. Because Sensus UI is so different from other cars,
I'll have to print out that page from manual if I bring it to Costco. Discount Tire store probably is better and could handle it.
Anyhow, it is better done either by myself or at dealer. I plan to only rotate 1.5 years, and then 2 or even 3 years apart. It is not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ramps. Way faster and safer.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Yes, and my driveway is a small slope that I can do oil change for some higher car just parking at the top of slope.
I can switch to off-road and I bet the ground clearance will be adequate for oil change. :lol:

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the xc is high enough for me that I can just slide under to do an oil change without jacking it up.
Oil pan bottom is usually flat so the front of car should be raised up to let more waste oil drain out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oil pan bottom is usually flat so the front of car should be raised up to let more waste oil drain out.
True but at the 3k oil changes I do im not that worried about a little left over oil until the next change it doesn't leave much in there. Plus if having your oil done at the dealer or shop its thrown flat on a lift for a oil change anyway so your stuck with a little residual.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I am still curious as to where I can place the jack stands as a back up to my floor jack. When you are under a car you really want the security of a jack stand. I guess from what I have seen discussed thus far placing the jack stand underneath the suspension knuckle seems to work. Obviously it is backup. If my floor jack fails I just want to get out of there before the car settles on me. So if the knuckle gets damaged that is an acceptable tradeoff.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I found the information in VIDA about jacking up the car and where jack stands can be placed. Got under the car today and saw the jack stand mounts. While they are small, I believe the jack stand will fit there nicely.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The question is how to jack up and then put jack stand under the right support spot. From the post in XC90 you replied, I found the following jack stand for jack point that is designed to work at same support spot as floor jack.

No centralize jacking points?

RennStand:
Rennstand

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

Do the XC90 jack pad adapters work with the XC60? The Rennstand adapter only lists XC90.

·
Registered
239 Posts
True but at the 3k oil changes I do im not that worried about a little left over oil until the next change it doesn't leave much in there. Plus if having your oil done at the dealer or shop its thrown flat on a lift for a oil change anyway so your stuck with a little residual.
why on earth are you still doing 3k mile oil changes? to each his/her own, but this just seems like pouring money down the drain

·
Registered
233 Posts
why on earth are you still doing 3k mile oil changes? to each his/her own, but this just seems like pouring money down the drain

oil changes are so quick that it doesn't bother me plus oil for these things are cheap. I have some cars that i'll do multiple oil changes a week during track days/weeks so 3k for my dailys is nothing lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts