SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons I didn't wait for T8 and went with D5 was the inconvenience of having to plug/unplug it - playing that in my mind I thought I would find it quite a hassle. Also putting yourself under pressure to find public charging when out and about restricts parking options and creates stress taking away from the ownership experience. That was a minor reason the main being no ability to demo the car. I am still curious how big a deal the process is.

I expect the next generation of hybrid (7-8years) to have inductive charging whereby I just leave the car in the general vicinity of a charging station and it parks itself over a plate to charge - no hassle. I think they were talking that with Q7 etron but not sure if it progressed. In 20-30 years we should probably see inductive charging lanes on the roads so you can top up the juice without stopping.

Question to the actual T8 owners: how much of a hassle is it really? What would inductive charging be worth to you?

·
Registered
57 Posts
To me it is a small hassle. The biggest issue is that I don't have my own place to charge yet, so I have to use a public one when at home. And sometimes it is occupied by other cars. The plugging itself feels like no hassle, I am really motivated to charge as much as possible. In the centre of my hometown we have to pay for parking, it is expensive. € 4,53 per hour. But when charging it is free to park in the city centre. I work in the centre, this saves me over 400 euros a month.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well, the T8 is a hybrid not a pure EV. You never run out of transport when you don't charge ;)

I charge my T8 daily, even on business trips. That's why have a stationary wall charger to make it as conveniant as possible. It's now in my daily routine and it's no hasle at all.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My wife is actually really good at charging it in when she gets home. If the cord is convenient, it is really easy to use.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
We'll be charging everyday in our garage too so plugging in is a non issue.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Plugging it in at home is a non-issue. At this point, I'm not even convinced it's worth getting the voltage changed -- it's on a regular plug now. For us it's a matter of put in driveway, plug in. Routine. 280 miles so far, and a little more than a half tank of gas.

Inductive? sure. But these things take a long time. My guess would be a decade before that's commonplace enough for us to use. We need a car in the meantime.

Finally, there is an aspect here which is visibility. Some folks don't feel great about the assumed consumption a vehicle as large of this has. Except when people see it plugged in, their reaction to it changes, a lot. For some, this can matter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It doesn't take long to plug in unless you have to get the charge cable out of the cargo area.
I used a free charger at the grocery store yesterday (got stares from a Leaf owner at the other
charging station) which was basically plug in and unplug when I finished shopping. I did
forget to close the charging door and got no warning the vehicle let me drive home.

I do wish I had a larger battery.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'll trade plugging my vehicle in any day as compared to going to the gas / petrol pumps!

I charge at home and at work. I've been able to figure out routing for my ca 10 mile / 16 km commute that can easily be done on about 75% of a battery charge. (Varies depending on having the lights on, heating, etc.) Super simple - tap the door to the charging connection, remove and store the protective cover over the receptacle. grab the charging cable and insert it and lock the vehicle.

In two nearby towns where we typically go out to eat there is public parking with free plug-in charging stations. In one case parking is free for first hour and US $0.50 per hour thereafter. Pays for itself!

As for inductive charging - it is a lot more inefficient ... it would take longer to provide the same amount of charge to a vehicle's battery and some of the actual charging energy would be lost (not transferred). I'd rather plug in - get a faster charge and not loose any energy. Some additional info can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magne_Charge
(the power efficiency of this system is about 86%)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Little off topic, how large is the T8 fuel tank size? My dealer told me that it's same size as T6 but I read it's little smaller correct?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I imagine there is some robot arm installed on garage floor that can plug in and charge when your T8 is there at night.
Not too big a dream. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I imagine there is some robot arm installed on garage floor that can plug in and charge when your T8 is there at night.
Tesla has a prototype robot snake charger:

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You're not too far off - check this out:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
And here is what it looks like in reality as implemented by Volvo in Hamberg DE

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
...Question to the actual T8 owners: how much of a hassle is it really? What would inductive charging be worth to you?
I plug in every night at home. (No option at work.) Plugging in and unplugging is no hassle in my garage. Certainly, less hassle than pumping fuel weekly which I project to be every three weeks going forward during the winter months and less in the summer - on average.

The inductive charging is intriguing, and its value for me would be minimal - only a nice to have convenience as of now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really thought that having not to worry about plugging unplugging would be worth more to people. But responses indicate that people take my citing the absence of it as criticism of T8 and then trying to explain how it really is great. That was not my intention - T8 is definitely the best xc90 imop. I just wanted a debate about how to make it more effortless in the future.

Analogy is central locking feature in the cars - is it criticial for our enjoyment of the car? No. One day it was a gimmick - people would say I just go around my car and lock each door - what's the big deal? But you expect it in every car now.

I think until they figure out how to improve the 86% efficiency (though that sound very high already given all the energy losses we have with generating and transporting electricity) they could do smth contact based. Robot arm seems expensive but would mean it would work with all previous generations of EV. How about a contact plate that just drives under your car and rises up from the floor - car would have an alternative charge port at the bottom. Alternative is a static charge plate and car self parks on top of it.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I would think any dog going up to an inductive charging car and lifting his leg, might have other thoughts. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You think strong magnetic fields will mess with poor animal's brain? That is a concern. Well noted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts