SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, travel for business is pretty much out, as we have a little over 20 inches of new snow. T8 was charging in the driveway, and as part of cleanup I unplugged it and moved it to clear the driveway, then moved it back.

Yesterday, I drove it about 8 miles for kid shlepping. AWD mode the whole way.

I'm impressed. I've driven AWD vehicles in the snow a lot, and expected this one to be decent but not great given limited power to the rear wheels. But given the right-now torque of the electric motor, it soldiered through deep (18 inches or so) much-moved and churned snow over an icy base without putting a foot wrong. Interestingly, I found that the throttle response was very good -- allowed me to finesse it where many others I saw were spinning; seems like the throttle response is something the car sets with the AWD mode.

I used the cameras when driving on our street to see the snow piles and clearance (parking sensors were getting too excited) and all went over very smoothly. This vehicle is easily up to the tasks of snow driving, and I'd happily have one even if I still lived in Canada.

Used about 1/2 the battery in AWD mode. I am curious what happens when the battery gets lower in AWD mode, but I'm assuming that the system makes sure there's always enough for it to send back when needed.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well, travel for business is pretty much out, as we have a little over 20 inches of new snow. T8 was charging in the driveway, and as part of cleanup I unplugged it and moved it to clear the driveway, then moved it back.

Yesterday, I drove it about 8 miles for kid shlepping. AWD mode the whole way.

I'm impressed. I've driven AWD vehicles in the snow a lot, and expected this one to be decent but not great given limited power to the rear wheels. But given the right-now torque of the electric motor, it soldiered through deep (18 inches or so) much-moved and churned snow over an icy base without putting a foot wrong. Interestingly, I found that the throttle response was very good -- allowed me to finesse it where many others I saw were spinning; seems like the throttle response is something the car sets with the AWD mode.

I used the cameras when driving on our street to see the snow piles and clearance (parking sensors were getting too excited) and all went over very smoothly. This vehicle is easily up to the tasks of snow driving, and I'd happily have one even if I still lived in Canada.

Used about 1/2 the battery in AWD mode. I am curious what happens when the battery gets lower in AWD mode, but I'm assuming that the system makes sure there's always enough for it to send back when needed.

Thanks I do live in Canada and was waiting for someone with a T8 to give some type of indication on how it drives in the deep snow.

Since it doesn't have a drive shaft to the rear wheels I was worried how the electric would keep up in that situation
I read somewhere that the engine will drive the generator when the battery gets low to keep the battery charged for AWD or any other drive mode for that matter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
18 inches? Sure you don't mean 18 centimeters? 18" would be nearly TWICE THE GROUND CLEARANCE of the XC90, the snow would be up to the bottom of the Volvo grill.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
18 inches? Sure you don't mean 18 centimeters? 18" would be nearly TWICE THE GROUND CLEARANCE of the XC90, the snow would be up to the bottom of the Volvo grill.
Metro DC. So, yes, that is how much fell -- 17-40 INCHES in the region. Here it's around 2 feet.

It has been flattened, churned, and run over dozens of times. It is a realistic deep-snow scenario. But to your point, it probably isn't still 18 inches everywhere, and on the road it's been flattened by emergency vehicles and SUVs. On our road, A Land Cruiser made it through first.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Metro DC. So, yes, that is how much fell -- 17-40 INCHES in the region. Here it's around 2 feet.

It has been flattened, churned, and run over dozens of times. It is a realistic deep-snow scenario. But to your point, it probably isn't still 18 inches everywhere, and on the road it's been flattened by emergency vehicles and SUVs. On our road, A Land Cruiser made it through first.
To add more info to this, it's not a full 18" to the street. The tires aren't ever going to touch the street in this scenario.

And I expect any SUV to be able to do this.

If my Lincoln MKZ can soldier out in 17-20" snow storms and make it, I expect any SUV to be able to do the same.

Heck, even my kid's junk mobile Malibu was capable of driving in this type of event.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Thanks I do live in Canada and was waiting for someone with a T8 to give some type of indication on how it drives in the deep snow.

Since it doesn't have a drive shaft to the rear wheels I was worried how the electric would keep up in that situation
I read somewhere that the engine will drive the generator when the battery gets low to keep the battery charged for AWD or any other drive mode for that matter.
P. 384:
" AWD
This mode offers improved traction using four- wheel drive and is intended primarily for low- speed driving on slippery surfaces. However, it also helps increase directional stability at higher speeds.
In this mode, both the electric motor and the gas- oline engine are used continuously, which results in higher fuel consumption."

Sweet, so AWD = Snow/Ice

Plus, I also read that the ICE generates sufficient charge to run electric motor in AWD.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm looking forward to throwing it around an empty parking lot ..oddly enough after 2 years of horrible winters this one is pretty mild for this end of Ontario.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I'm looking forward to throwing it around an empty parking lot ..oddly enough after 2 years of horrible winters this one is pretty mild for this end of Ontario.
I agree. I've only seen a few inches of snow essentially. Seems odd to be in the end of January and the deep freeze not here yet.

Those two horrible winters have been incredibly mild summers as well. Makes my pool essentially worthless without a heater. :(

But I want some deep snow, man.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If only you had told me. Would have saved a lot...
Well, don't feel bad. I've seen some Ford Explorers that can't drive with 1" of snow down.

Oh wait... OWNED one. :(

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree. I've only seen a few inches of snow essentially. Seems odd to be in the end of January and the deep freeze not here yet.

Those two horrible winters have been incredibly mild summers as well. Makes my pool essentially worthless without a heater. :(

But I want some deep snow, man.
We usually get a blast in March, that's when I'm supposed to get my T8 so I'm still crossing my fingers..never thought i would say that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 XC90 T8 with winter tires (Blizzaks). Those same tires on my Subaru turned it into a snow tank but I find the XC90 slips a lot, particularly when going up the passes. I've been running it in AWD mode but have seen some posts about possibly using Offroad mode, is that what people are using? Is there any other setting to better manage the power when on slippery climbs?

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I have a 2018 XC90 T8 with winter tires (Blizzaks). Those same tires on my Subaru turned it into a snow tank but I find the XC90 slips a lot, particularly when going up the passes. I've been running it in AWD mode but have seen some posts about possibly using Offroad mode, is that what people are using? Is there any other setting to better manage the power when on slippery climbs?
Do you see the "Constant AWD" text for AWD mode in the mode switch list? It is from last Oct or Nov update with some engine management improvement and may help a little.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have a detached garage that runs up to an alleyway in the back. We just had a couple of inches of snow and the plows that went through the alley put a small snow burm (which turned to ice) in front of our garage and the garage on the other side. Normally, to back into my garage, I have to cross the alleyway and get up close to the garage on the other side. Today, I was in Hybrid mode, turned, pulled the car over the burm on the other side, went to reverse to straighten out and the rear wheels were slipping. It could not pull the front wheels back over the burm. The front wheels never engaged. I had to switch to Constant AWD to make it over the hump - and it still struggled a little bit (even with brand new Blizzaks). Our Honda Accord 4-cylinder front wheel drive only car was able to do the same maneuver no problems (with only 4/32 left on the tire tread depth!). On the streets though in 5 degree fresh snow, the XC90 in Constant AWD mode definitely felt more sure footed than the Accord.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ah! I have a T6 so don’t have it ☹
You don't need it. The T6 is a lot more stable in snow than the T8 in its default hybrid mode. The T8 fishtails like crazy if you don't change mode... not the T6. I have over 50k miles between a D5, a T6, and a T8, mostly around Buffalo, NY, so I have been playing in the snow a lot with them.

My personal opinion is that, in AWD mode, the T8 is almost as good as a T6 in deep snow. But I know that this debate attracts a lot of charged opinions, so I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Overall I have found the T8 to be very good in snow if you select the right mode. I have not had any issues with fishtailing as the traction control kicks in immediately and pulls back the ERAD power. If you are in default hybrid a patch of ice in city driving (like when accelerating from a stop sign/light) can catch you by surprise and there may be a little delay as the ICE kicks on.

In bad weather I will drive in AWD mode in the city. On the highway I will run individual with the suspension at Pure height, and the driveline in AWD mode or Power mode. I don't like being up so high on the highway in AWD mode.

One thing interesting I have found when going down a steep grade at highway speeds (for me in Colorado this has been coming down from the Eisenhower tunnel or the back side of Vail pass on I-70) is that I get a little rear end wiggle under light braking if it's icy. I know that when you first press the brake pedal on the T8 the car is actually not braking, it's using the regenerative feature of the ERAD to slow the car initially. In this situation the resistance on the rear wheels on steep downhill grades at highway speeds (like 50-70mph) does lose a little traction in the rear before the brakes kick in on all 4 wheels. No that big of a deal really if you are aware of it, but interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Some deep snow in Ontario now, have to admit the instant torque from the ERAD in the T8 is nice, AWD feels more planted, in power mode the back end will start to get loose before the nanny puts a check on all the fun, but with traction control off in power mode you can put it sideways quite easily.

I'm guessing in power the bias is towards the ERAD vs the front ICE driven wheels I would say 40-60 maybe, whereas AWD is more of a 50-50 feel. I imagine a polestar upgrade would make the back end ever more lively in power mode and bit more grunt in all driving modes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts