SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the rebate works in the US? Do you have to wait until you file your taxes to apply for it? If so, looks like it will be 2017 before most of us see the rebate. My car arived in late Jan 2016.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is this actually a monetary rebate or tax credit? If actual money rebate it will probably have to be reported as income in the year you receive it.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
as a tax payer I'm pretty insulted that the government still hands out any kind of credits for hybrid vehicles.

If you can afford a 68k+ car you don't need any assistance whatsoever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
as a tax payer I'm pretty insulted that the government still hands out any kind of credits for hybrid vehicles.

As a taxpayer and worker, i resent all the special breaks given to investment income. Why shouldn't breaks also be offered
to purchasers of environmentally-friendly vehicles? But if that's how the game is played, buyers of low-emission cars shouldn't flinch at reaping some benefit while also reducing pollution.
If the proposal is to eliminate all writeoffs in favour of a flat tax or vat tax, and to invest the returns into fixing the infrastructure and raising the educational level of the society of which we are all a part, i'm all for it!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So I guess since you are so insulted you do not take any tax credits when you do your taxes....mortgage interest, child tax credits, etc? Do you just hand all your money over to the govt? What does the price of the car have to do with whether you should get a tax credit? The govt encouraging electric vehicles is a good thing in my book....how else can you get folks to purchase the more expensive tech, which in turn brings the prices down after widespread adoption. Come on down off your high horse.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
So I guess since you are so insulted you do not take any tax credits when you do your taxes....mortgage interest, child tax credits, etc? Do you just hand all your money over to the govt? What does the price of the car have to do with whether you should get a tax credit? The govt encouraging electric vehicles is a good thing in my book....how else can you get folks to purchase the more expensive tech, which in turn brings the prices down after widespread adoption. Come on down off your high horse.
is that how you justify it? I earn my living and paid for my house so I don't have mortgage interest deduction (another gov gimme). I don't need government incentive to encourage me to own a home.

these tax credits do nothing to bring widespread adoption. Market forces do. If gas is expensive people will buy more of these, if it is not they wont. It is not the government's business to pick winners and losers or give money to the rich so they can better afford their toys.

·
Registered
168 Posts
is that how you justify it? I earn my living and paid for my house so I don't have mortgage interest deduction (another gov gimme). I don't need government incentive to encourage me to own a home.

these tax credits do nothing to bring widespread adoption. Market forces do. If gas is expensive people will buy more of these, if it is not they wont. It is not the government's business to pick winners and losers or give money to the rich so they can better afford their toys.
Maybe you mean to say that you're incredibly fortunate? You've done well in life and believe that it's entirely because of you rather than circumstances, privilege, opportunity, the help of others? I don't know you or your story, but I'm guessing that it could be interpreted a very different way by someone with a less selfish mindset. The term "taxpayer" is enough on its own to identify who you think you are. Is that all you are? A taxpayer? Why don't you call yourself a citizen and feel proud about contributing to a better world for the next generation?

·
Registered
64 Posts

It has nothing to do with wealth or vehicle cost, but rather an incentive to encourage the reduction of carbon emissions and reduce the ill effects on our ecosystem. I guess most of us will still be here on this planet when you and Richard Branson fly off onto your own after this one is all used up. Then maybe you can say you paid for your planet too. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Why does every topic in this forum become high drama? I don't think we can resolve the wisdom of taxation, tax credits, or incentives on this page.

You do wait until your 2016 taxes (2017) to file for the tax credit. Of note, the tax credit is essentially flat across most plug in/EVs. The $7500 knocks a big chunk off a Bolt or Volt, but a much smaller percentage off a Tesla.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts