SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’m on my second T8 which is a 2017 model. It was a replacement from Volvo for all the problems we had with our original 2016 model. The problem is that this one hasn’t been much better. We’ve had a lot of problems with it and have only done 39000 miles, and most recently it’s just been flat-bedded back to the dealer again to be fitted with its third E-rad hybrid motor having nearly stranded us in the middle of a junction. I’m considering what to do about it all, especially given that the warranty is now coming up for renewal. I’m also wondering about whether it’s time to cut my losses and buy something else or whether we should consider a 2020 model in the hope that the later models have most of the issues ironed out. The thing is that we actually love our car when it works. I don’t know of another car that offers a 7 seat petrol electric hybrid (both requirements for us) that is also safe, comfortable and well equipped for the price. I’ve looked at the Range Rover which, for a similar equipment level to the XC90, is much more expensive, and I’m not convinced they are that reliable either. So I’m curious are some of the later models more reliable? Are owners experiencing E-rad failures with the later model cars or are they better?

Appreciate your help.

Thank you,

John.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
So I’m curious are some of the later models more reliable? Are owners experiencing E-rad failures with the later model cars or are they better?
We have a MY2019T8i at 10,000 miles with zero (0.00) problems or issues.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just get a T6, and if it makes you feel better, put a T8 badge on it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We have 2 2016 T8's both have had their issues, mine has had the e-rad replaced and has been fine since. My wife has had the hybrid malfunction issue and water leaking by the rearview mirror, both of those have been fixed. most recently mine lost AC for a few days only to return without any further issues since ( 2 months ago)

My e-rad was 2 fold, one was the actual motor the other was a gear in the e-rad unit, they just replaced the whole thing.

Would I buy another? actually would I buy another 2? my wife woulden't drive anything else, she has a disability and being stranded is not an option. neither car has left us stranded, Mine limped to the dealer but it got me to the dealer.

I'm debating a Porsche Cayenne Hybrid so I checked out thier forums, they are just getting the 2019's one guy's overheated a block from home the day after he brought it home. Cars like these have issues, you want bullet proof? get a toyota 4 runner. you want nice features, semi/autopilot, 360 cameras, hybrid systems then you have to deal with issues regardless of make and model.

So to me it comes down to service department, My wife and I have an awesome relationship with our SA and the serive depatment in general, I know my mechanics name, I've let him take my car home to test is out after the e-rad replacement, told him to drive the $it out of it, if it's going to break again I would rather it happen to him so he knows exaclty what happend.

If you don't have faith in your dealer's service department find another one. (I know they arn't exactly on every corner) but in all honesty that old saying is true, Sales sells the first car, service sells the second car.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Please don’t upbadge your XC90’s. Save that nonsense for the wannabe ///M people.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My 2016 T8 is from October 2015, so almost 4 years now. No issue what so ever. During the last annual service, Volvo decided to replace the e-rad although the car was already one year out out of warranty.

Please don’t upbadge your XC90’s. Save that nonsense for the wannabe ///M people.
In our country you pay a huge CO2-tax, The price of the T6 would be aprox. 10,000 Euro (!) above the T8 due to taxing, thats why the T6 isn't for sale here.
Driving a T6 would be very exclusive :)

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
My 2016 T8 is from October 2015, so almost 4 years now. No issue what so ever. During the last annual service, Volvo decided to replace the e-rad although the car was already one year out out of warranty.

In our country you pay a huge CO2-tax, The price of the T6 would be aprox. 10,000 Euro (!) above the T8 due to taxing, thats why the T6 isn't for sale here.
Hybrid power train has longer warranty, 8 years in US. So no much worry about the replacement.
I hope they (Siemens) make their ERAD better quality. Tesla sells millions of cars and don't seem to have motor problem. That's a great achievement.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What's a XC90 T8i?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tesla sells millions of cars and don't seem to have motor problem. That's a great achievement.
"Tesla's global sales since 2012 totaled over 720,000 units at the end of q2 2019, of which, over 245,000 were delivered in 2018, up almost 138% from 2017. [Wikipedia]" The majority of Teslas are still fairly young. Also, keep in mind that Tesla cars were designed to be an EV from the ground up. The powertrain is very simple: motor-speed reducer-axles... no transmission or other complications.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
"Tesla's global sales since 2012 totaled over 720,000 units at the end of q2 2019, of which, over 245,000 were delivered in 2018, up almost 138% from 2017. [Wikipedia]" The majority of Teslas are still fairly young. Also, keep in mind that Tesla cars were designed to be an EV from the ground up. The powertrain is very simple: motor-speed reducer-axles... no transmission or other complications.
ERAD is what is comparable with Tesla motors. 0.72million, one more year then it will be 1 million. :)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had none of the problems that you referenced. Just an air suspension water intrusion and a couple of dead 12V batteries.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Tesla sells millions of cars and don't seem to have motor problem. That's a great achievement.
tesla does not sell millions of cars(record setting q2 2019 saw 95k delivered, their s and x sell combined less than 250,000 per year, model 3 is very new to compare long term reliability), and their drive units are indeed an issue. see tesloop's fleet and how many have had drive units replaced. Or tesla forums https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/are-you-still-your-1st-drive-unit
just yesterday i picked up a p90d from tesla service center after having its rear drive unit replaced. and its being flat bedded back this afternoon since this one is either also bad or not bolted down(car jumps sideways on acceleration)

·
Registered
53 Posts

Curious, did you have symptoms in the car prompting replacement of the ERAD? I can't imaging why they would take the expense of replacing an ERAD in the middle of annual service just to be nice.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We have 2 2016 T8's both have had their issues, mine has had the e-rad replaced and has been fine since. My wife has had the hybrid malfunction issue and water leaking by the rearview mirror, both of those have been fixed. most recently mine lost AC for a few days only to return without any further issues since ( 2 months ago)

My e-rad was 2 fold, one was the actual motor the other was a gear in the e-rad unit, they just replaced the whole thing.

Would I buy another? actually would I buy another 2? my wife woulden't drive anything else, she has a disability and being stranded is not an option. neither car has left us stranded, Mine limped to the dealer but it got me to the dealer.

I'm debating a Porsche Cayenne Hybrid so I checked out thier forums, they are just getting the 2019's one guy's overheated a block from home the day after he brought it home. Cars like these have issues, you want bullet proof? get a toyota 4 runner. you want nice features, semi/autopilot, 360 cameras, hybrid systems then you have to deal with issues regardless of make and model.

So to me it comes down to service department, My wife and I have an awesome relationship with our SA and the serive depatment in general, I know my mechanics name, I've let him take my car home to test is out after the e-rad replacement, told him to drive the $it out of it, if it's going to break again I would rather it happen to him so he knows exaclty what happend.

If you don't have faith in your dealer's service department find another one. (I know they arn't exactly on every corner) but in all honesty that old saying is true, Sales sells the first car, service sells the second car.
Well said! +1

·
Registered
152 Posts
My ERAD did not fail. I got a CEL and the dealer had to replace the ERAD thermostat under what he called a recall service required. They also updated the cars software. Every thing works well now. Smoother driving than before but the car drove fine even when the CEL was lit. I'm pretty good with our 2018 T8.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi everyone,

I’m on my second T8 which is a 2017 model. It was a replacement from Volvo for all the problems we had with our original 2016 model. The problem is that this one hasn’t been much better. We’ve had a lot of problems with it and have only done 39000 miles, and most recently it’s just been flat-bedded back to the dealer again to be fitted with its third E-rad hybrid motor having nearly stranded us in the middle of a junction. I’m considering what to do about it all, especially given that the warranty is now coming up for renewal. I’m also wondering about whether it’s time to cut my losses and buy something else or whether we should consider a 2020 model in the hope that the later models have most of the issues ironed out. The thing is that we actually love our car when it works. I don’t know of another car that offers a 7 seat petrol electric hybrid (both requirements for us) that is also safe, comfortable and well equipped for the price. I’ve looked at the Range Rover which, for a similar equipment level to the XC90, is much more expensive, and I’m not convinced they are that reliable either. So I’m curious are some of the later models more reliable? Are owners experiencing E-rad failures with the later model cars or are they better?

Appreciate your help.

Thank you,

John.
I think that the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has three rows of seats? It has a bigger battery pack than the Volvo T8s (12 vs. 10 kWh) and longer all-electric range -- plus it's much cheaper to buy. And it's been out a while. I'd check that, based on the information you give. Sure, it's not going to be as nice as a Volvo, but if you want more dependability for your needs, it might be something to consider.

·
Registered
83 Posts

What was the difference between the ERAD and the gear in the ERAD as far as symptoms? I am have a problem with the ERAD that it hesitates just after starting from a complete stop except that it is a random event at this point. I am concerned the dealer will not pick it up since no warning notifications are evident.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts