SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to hybrid cars, love my XC 60 (2018).
I want to optimize my mileage and would love any feedback about my driving...

My route is about 90 miles, from 5000 feet down to the valley. I cross several mountain ranges, so there is a down, up a little again, down... down and up a little and down...

Of course, the return home is the opposite... up, up, up, down a bit, up, down up, up, etc...

I drive hybrid, B mode, until the battery gets to about 1-3. (BTW is the KwH?). I use the engine to charge battery when I am driving up, and release it when I am on a down...

For the trip down the mountain, i can arrive at the valley with battery at 5 or so...

On the return home I do the same, but usually the battery is a bit more, because there is so much up in the drive.

My total mileage is about 38 down th mountain, and 30 back up.

Should I be doing anything different to improve my mileage? For those who are curious, I live in Payson, in the mountains above Phoenix, and drive down to Phoenix at least once a week or so...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I am new to hybrid cars, love my XC 60 (2018).
I want to optimize my mileage and would love any feedback about my driving...

My route is about 90 miles, from 5000 feet down to the valley. I cross several mountain ranges, so there is a down, up a little again, down... down and up a little and down...

Of course, the return home is the opposite... up, up, up, down a bit, up, down up, up, etc...

I drive hybrid, B mode, until the battery gets to about 1-3. (BTW is the KwH?). I use the engine to charge battery when I am driving up, and release it when I am on a down...

For the trip down the mountain, i can arrive at the valley with battery at 5 or so...

On the return home I do the same, but usually the battery is a bit more, because there is so much up in the drive.

My total mileage is about 38 down th mountain, and 30 back up.

Should I be doing anything different to improve my mileage? For those who are curious, I live in Payson, in the mountains above Phoenix, and drive down to Phoenix at least once a week or so...
Don't use engine to charge battery, and you will see a little better mpg. I'd say when driving uphill slowly, use battery if possible is better than ICE. ICE is better at mid to high speed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I do that, my battery will be empty in 10 miles, and it is a 90 mile drive.

Better to just preserve tge battery and ICE it the whole drive?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Drive in PURE (ECO) mode and press HOLD when (1) going uphill or (2) traveling faster than 50 mph. Basically, only use ICE for highway speeds and sharp inclines; battery for everything else.

Do not use CHARGE and only use B when going downhill to achieve regen. Otherwise, drive in D.

·
Registered
251 Posts
LOL, OP is going to get a lot of conflicting answers... Just put it in Hybrid mode and leave it!

You will not be 'out' of battery in 10 miles, you will have used surplus electricity yes but the Hybrid system will always maintain a minimum amount of power for traffic lights and minimum speeds, and of course available capacity to accept regeneration.

Only ever place the system on 'Hold' or even 'Recharge' if you know you have significant bumper to bumper traffic ahead. The former keeps the Hybrid system from dynamically using the power you regenerate, the latter wastes gas if there's not a good reason for it to be done.

Only use Pure if your destination is within battery range, otherwise not particularly useful (if you want Hybrid driving plus the Eco AC settings, use the Individual Drive Mode)

The biggest things however looking at your driving situation is keep it under 75MPH when descending. Over 75 and the ICE can't shut off during your downhill runs which'll throw away all sorts of energy...

Oh and lastly, find a plug to charge up in Phoenix? https://www.plugshare.com/

FWIW, talked about all this a lot in my last video:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
LOL, OP is going to get a lot of conflicting answers... Just put it in Hybrid mode and leave it!
No offense, but you've posted subpar range numbers.

You know more about your trip than HYBRID mode does and you can optimize, where appropriate. And, yes, that requires using PURE and HOLD. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
For example, here's a ~60 mile trip to the Highland Lakes I took last week. Super hilly route and loaded vehicle (4 adults, 2 dogs, luggage). I began with a full charge and arrived with a 1/4 charge.

I could've had better economy if I used the entire PURE range, but I knew I had to run some errands when I arrived.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts