SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

T8: Do you want an automatic "Hold" feature where you can configure a minimum speed?

• Meh, no preference.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't forget to vote above...via Swedespeed.com

For current and prospective T8 owners/lessors, would you be interested in having a configurable "Hold" feature that would automatically put your Hybrid Charge on Hold once the speed reaches your configurable minimum speed (e.g., 50 mph / 45 km/h) in Pure or Hybrid modes?

Such a feature would enhance safer driving - allowing the driver to focus on driving rather than flipping the Sensus screen and turning Hold on and off throughout a drive - depending on traffic, et al.

Another "safety" use case is when interstate traffic that slows to a crawl (0-35), speeds up again (50+), slows down again, ... This would keep eyes on the road and surroundings (rather than inside flipping Hold/Not Hold).

Because the range of the hybrid battery decreases much faster at speeds above 50* mph, I would like to preserve the hybrid battery charge for slower speeds for optimal fuel economy. However, I recognize that we have different needs and rationales to impose the Hold feature.

Since the AWD, Off Road and Power modes will always use electric energy (and the generator) to power the electric motors, the hold feature is somewhat moot if not irrelevant.

*Officially, VolvoCars US indicates the threshold is 43 mph.

P.S., This only applies to PHEV but I felt the need to state the obvious.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
This is good for efficiency, but if your trip is mostly high speed and you get home at end of day with still some battery range, then you have burned more than needed fuel on road.

The trip pattern is too difficult to predict so that you finish battery range before getting home.

If the battery range left is close to distance to home then use up battery first by all means. If this logic is used together with your suggestion it will surely helps. However this still assumes you don't get extra charging outside other than home, and still go home to sleep for the day (which usually should be true when you are several miles from home).

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
For current and prospective T8 owners/lessors, would you be interested in having a configurable "Hold" feature that would automatically put your Hybrid Charge on Hold once the speed reaches your configurable minimum speed (e.g., 50 mph / 45 km/h) in Pure or Hybrid modes?
Ya, a 50mph transition for HOLD/NO-HOLD would be ideal.

I've become quite fast at activating/deactivating HOLD, but I do have to look at the Sensus screen for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is good for efficiency, but if your trip is mostly high speed and you get home at end of day with still some battery range, then you have burned more than needed fuel on road.

The trip pattern is too difficult to predict so that you finish battery range before getting home.

If the battery range left is close to distance to home then use up battery first by all means. If this logic is used together with your suggestion it will surely helps. However this still assumes you don't get extra charging outside other than home, and still go home to sleep for the day (which usually should be true when you are several miles from home).

That could happen under some conditions and personal scenarios.

My goal is to optimize the battery's use and fuel economy. For me, the battery would almost always be depleted by the time that I arrive home.

The hybrid/pure modes would still use re-generated energy even with Hold turned on. Thus, in my scenarios I would not have used more fuel than needed but likely less. That's what I am envisioning anyway.

My other related thoughts are that Hold is "off" by default unless the user configures it, and the configured default can be overridden by simply turning off "Hold" on the left panel in Sensus.

Anyway, just thinking of how to make incremental efficiency and safety improvements as we go.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've found that the Sensus navigation does this for you

I've done this a few times already on long trips and it seems work well, battery's fully depleted at the designation, and mostly gas is used on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Neat! I have not seen this publicized for the MY16s XC90 T8s. Hopefully, the software updates have enabled this. The usage tip is particularly useful since I cannot charge at work and only charge at home at night.

Update

If a destination has been selected in the navigation system*, the Predictive Efficiency[SUP]5[/SUP] function can use map data to effectively distribute the electric power throughout the trip.

Footnote 5 (2019 XC90 T8 Owners manual): Certain markets only.
I wonder which markets those are and whether US is one of them.

Back to the poll....

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I've found that the Sensus navigation does this for you

I've done this a few times already on long trips and it seems work well, battery's fully depleted at the designation, and mostly gas is used on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This is only when you set destination of nav. I never use nav when going back home. :) And my home is only 1 mile from freeway. So I definitely want to use up battery and turn to Pure mode once I get off freeway. If Sensus can do this I am fine to use other automatic strategy.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
The whole idea is when nav destination is not set, try to predict it is a trip going back home, then use home as destination to optimize battery and reduce ICE usage.

It can use some smartness, such as when you are in town, and distance to home is decreasing along a possible route to home, then it can use home as destination. This could be the best way to be efficient.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Ya, a 50mph transition for HOLD/NO-HOLD would be ideal.

I've become quite fast at activating/deactivating HOLD, but I do have to look at the Sensus screen for a couple of seconds.
I arranged the buttons and HOLD is at top left corner. So I can click it almost blindly.

I have CHARGE button next to it and never used. I think I don't change other buttons while driving, only the 360 degree view when crawling slowly, and adjusting passenger seats, which is at top right corner.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Neat! I have not seen this publicized for the MY16s XC90 T8s. Hopefully, the software updates have enabled this. The usage tip is particularly useful since I cannot charge at work and only charge at home at night.

Update

Back to the poll....
I believe this was introduced with MY19 based on sales manager mentioning it to me a little over a year ago (although there wasn’t much fanfare, perhaps its not rolled out in all markets) and would need to be made available via an update for prior MY. I just hope its not dependent on a newer Sensus. I’ve been eagerly anticipating either in my next update or at least an announcement of when it will be.

Since then I’ve gotten into the habit of setting Nav for most trips beyond Pure range. I’m up for my next service and hoping the latest update brings this down to us. This would be the preferred solution over a user specified max speed setting for Pure. What I would actually like to see is for Volvo to allow for regen braking (B) to be user adjustable and it would be a great use for the knurled tumbler that lets us switch between drive modes.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

Update

Back to the poll....
Great initiative and I too wonder which market this applies to

Nevertheless, how do we vote using Tapatalk?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great initiative and I too wonder which market this applies to

Nevertheless, how do we vote using Tapatalk?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I think you must vote via the native Swedespeed webpage. I have not discovered a way to vote in TapaTalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
68 Posts

Update

Back to the poll....
I was wondering about same thing myself since I got my T8 months ago.
So far looks like in case that destination is set battery is used much more efficiently, i.e. not wasted completely on the "high speed" highway before I hit traffic jam.
Yet, it's not completely clear if it can take into consideration traffic jams (given available traffic data) or simply tries to spread it evenly though the road, maybe with some
optimization for highway/city parts. And it's still limited by the route that it builds.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Another feature I wished T8 offered is the ability to set the throttle to 100% EV or at least adjust the threshold/cut-over to augment with ICE. I find myself looking down in the DIM at the E/ICE power demand gauge too much while on my way home when going uphill. I am able to get home and to work on 100% Pure but having to monitor that gauge when climbing detracts from the otherwise serene drive :). I have been able to time when to apply max ERAD power to minimize how much it slows down and being able to not worry about accidentally triggering ICE would be great!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Another feature I wished T8 offered is the ability to set the throttle to 100% EV or at least adjust the threshold/cut-over to augment with ICE. I find myself looking down in the DIM at the E/ICE power demand gauge too much while on my way home when going uphill. I am able to get home and to work on 100% Pure but having to monitor that gauge when climbing detracts from the otherwise serene drive :). I have been able to time when to apply max ERAD power to minimize how much it slows down and being able to not worry about accidentally triggering ICE would be great!
I like to have this available as well. However, it could be a safety issue if ERAD cannot provide enough power at the moment or need ICE kick-in to warm up the battery in some scenarios.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yes to all of this.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
a voice command to control the "Hold" feature?
I hope the new Google Auto (and presumably its awesome voice assistance, IMO) is retroactively applied to SPA2 vehicles for commands just like this!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts