SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a T8 and am trying to figure out what needs to be done prior to its arrival so I can charge it. Anybody have knowledge in this area? I know Volvo is offering a "charging station" but the cost seems rather high ($2000) and it is unclear (doubtful) that it even includes any necessary electrical work. TIA!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I was told by a dealer you can just plug in into regular outlet so nothing extra needed. Unless you want faster charging with higher voltage but not really needed.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
It may be that the standard T8 charging options/accessories vary between market regions. I am only familiar with US, but the other threads may help you.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Here's a funny video! I wonder why you have to unlock the car before removing charge cable, does the alarm go off?
The cable locking mechanism is locked to the charging port when you lock the car. You do not want anyone else unplugging your vehicle, if you are in a public charging station, and using it to charge their vehicle while you are away.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Check with your electric company - they may offer discounts. May even have different rates for charging off-hours.

I am installing a dedicated charging station in the garage. Get out of the car - grab the cord off the wall - plug the car in. I'm leaving the Volvo supplied cord in the vehicle and using that only in locations where there is no charging station (but there is an electrical outlet). I can't see having to pull the cable out of the car every time I park it in the garage!

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Check with your electric company - they may offer discounts. May even have different rates for charging off-hours.

I am installing a dedicated charging station in the garage. Get out of the car - grab the cord off the wall - plug the car in. I'm leaving the Volvo supplied cord in the vehicle and using that only in locations where there is no charging station (but there is an electrical outlet). I can't see having to pull the cable out of the car every time I park it in the garage!
Ditto. ClipperCreek for home. MN law requires off-peak rates for EV and certain PEHV.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I will do exactly the same!

·
Registered
837 Posts
The cable locking mechanism is locked to the charging port when you lock the car. You do not want anyone else unplugging your vehicle, if you are in a public charging station, and using it to charge their vehicle while you are away.
Actually, what you want is for it to UNLOCK the charger once the charging is complete so that another person can do exactly that. I am on several electric car forums and the whole "locked charger" is a big pain on some cars. BMW released a software update for their i3 to unlock when finished (although it apparently works only intermittently or on some chargers"). Folks have even printed up little placards to say when it is OK to unplug their car. Electric cars are still in their infancy and all the etiquette around this kind of stuff is still evolving. Honestly, my preference is "charge and home" and don't worry about any public charging with any plug-in hybrid. I charged my Volt in public exactly TWICE In the three years we owned it...and that was just for the novelty of it.

On the T8 the battery is so small, you should be able to charge it easily overnight on 110 (U.S.).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts