SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would greatly appreciate VoC being adapted with onboard T8 charging logic, so the displayed estimated time to a complete charge is more accurate.

Background: In theory, it should not physically take more than ~3 hours to do a full charge of a 2020 T8 11.6kWH battery at 240V 16A. I've had initial estimates on VoC (and the IC) show beyond 3.5 hours, but generally a more ridiculous 5-7 hours if the battery is nearly depleted when charging begins. Estimates of how much longer to completion improve exponentially as that time approaches completion, but it also seems when I physically open the car door while charging, it triggers the T8 to recalculate the estimate, with subsequent displays on VoC reflecting the improved time to complete.

I suspect the estimation is being performed on-board the T8 and it's accuracy isn't a VoC responsibility per se, BUT if VoC and BECM logic were changed so that whenever VoC inquiries the vehicle, the estimate were recalculated before VoC displays it data back to the owner (just like physically opening the car door), it would be a significant improvement for both the T8 and VoC.

As it is, the lack of reality with the remaining charging time makes its display in VoC (and the IC) not very useful in the first 2-thirds or more of a charging cycle. This is only a nuisance today, but will become more important when XC40 Recharge hits the market and owners are trying to remotely understand if and when they have sufficient battery-only charge to even hit the road again. I'll be reporting this accuracy issue on my next Service appointment so it hopefully gets into Volvo's system from a HW perspective, especially if it's a new problem unique to the 2020's, but also suggest it here as a way VoC could be improved to not just accept data it receives, but also cause the T8 to internally update it's charge time estimates without needing to physically open the car door.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2019 T8 here, with all updates until November, I haven’t seen any discrepancy in the charging time in the car and the App. Even when the weather caused a slower charge. It overestimates the charging time often.
There has been some versions of the App in which I had some refresh issues. The changes in the estimation would take a while to be sent to the app and the only way I know to force the refresh, it is to kill the app and start it again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts