SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning to use our T8 for occasional excursions; we'll use our smaller S60 for daily trips. According to the Volvo manual, battery charge should be maintained at ~25% for best longevity.
Is there a way for the car to stop charge automatically once a preset level is reached? That way, car can remain plugged in without risk of fully charging battery until full charge actually needed.
I don't think there is, but if Volvo monitors this site, perhaps they could include this capability in a future firmware release.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Once plugged in the T8 charges until you stop it and I have not seen any setting that allows you to set it to anything but full ... good idea on a future software setting.

If my memory is correct I think I read the same thing you are mentioning in a manual: if the vehicle is charged more than 25% drive it around until it is at 25% ... and if it is less than 25%, charge it or drive around in save mode for example to bring it up to 25%.

I guess if you were driving home / to the storage location where the vehicle will sit for some time - when you get to +/- 25% switch to the save mode and it will keep the charge at that level.

Or - if you are charging with 220 VAC and your battery is close to dead, charge it for 45 minutes or so and stop the charging (that should be ~25%).

FWIW - the dealer noted that when they received my car the battery was dead. As part of the prep work the service tech has to take battery voltage readings. My dealer delayed the delivery of my vehicle by a day in order to ensure battery charges were full.

Also: I have a habit of always locking my vehicle (even when it is in the garage). Not only is this required for plug-in charging - I understand it is the best way to ensure all systems are turned off.

Welcome to the T8 family!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Once plugged in the T8 charges until you stop it and I have not seen any setting that allows you to set it to anything but full ... good idea on a future software setting.

If my memory is correct I think I read the same thing you are mentioning in a manual: if the vehicle is charged more than 25% drive it around until it is at 25% ... and if it is less than 25%, charge it or drive around in save mode for example to bring it up to 25%.

I guess if you were driving home / to the storage location where the vehicle will sit for some time - when you get to +/- 25% switch to the save mode and it will keep the charge at that level.

Or - if you are charging with 220 VAC and your battery is close to dead, charge it for 45 minutes or so and stop the charging (that should be ~25%).

FWIW - the dealer noted that when they received my car the battery was dead. As part of the prep work the service tech has to take battery voltage readings. My dealer delayed the delivery of my vehicle by a day in order to ensure battery charges were full.

Also: I have a habit of always locking my vehicle (even when it is in the garage). Not only is this required for plug-in charging - I understand it is the best way to ensure all systems are turned off.

Welcome to the T8 family!
Thanks rpmccormick!
We'll be keeping the vehicle in our garage; it's rather troublesome to have to monitor charge level, though i could certainly do so and detach plug when ~25% level reached.
I certainly hope Volvo adds a 'maintain charge to preset level' capability in future firmware update.
We live in california and now that carb approval has been secured, dealer tells me to expect arrival in a week or so.

Interesting that your T8's battery arrived depleted. If so, car systems may cause significant battery drain -- or volvo may
Intentionally ship in discharged state, for transport safety reasons... Or the battery may have drained due to long hold-time at port.
Curious, as the ice crankshaft-integrated starter uses the hybrid Li battery, and the car would have to be driveable to embark/disembark from the roll on/roll off transport ships.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts