SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve heard rumors of a longer-range battery in the T8 coming in 2020. Any truth? And will it be available as a retrofit for older models?

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
It is announced in the MY2020 XC90 introduction press release. Nothing is about XC60 change though. And no, it won't be worthy to retrofit. Maybe it is more costly than just trade-in your car for a MY2020.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I asked my dealer about this when considering the OSD. He said that the range is extended “by a couple of miles”. It would have been a selling point for me if the range extension was significant, but he didn’t try to push that so I want to believe him (not buying the OSD meant going through a different dealer - so he wasn’t just trying to move one out of inventory). On the other hand he may not know what he’s talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I read somewhere that it’s going from 17 miles up to 20.

relatively big bump, but still not worth buying a new car over :)

Geoff

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
It is said to be around 15% more for XC90, so 23 miles or 25miles at best. Maybe interesting if it matches your commute trip.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I read somewhere that it’s going from 17 miles up to 20.
When I turn mine on in Hybrid mode, it says 18 miles, but changing to Pure mode it's 20 miles.
Those are pretty realistic estimates, although hills may alter it. Where I live there are a lot of hills, and I get as much as 23 miles from a charge at times.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hilly here as well and I recently measured my 2018 XC60 at 20.7 miles without trying real hard (I do use the B transmission gear a lot but not continuously).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a 2019 XC60 T8....work is 19.9 miles away....Makes it easily there..best is with 5 miles remaining on the gauge.....its a game..really tamed my driving..

·
Registered
879 Posts
2020 SPA vehicles (this means xc60 and xc90 according to my training) gives 14% more driving range with the 34ah battery as opposed to the older 30ah.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
2020 SPA vehicles (this means xc60 and xc90 according to my training) gives 14% more driving range with the 34ah battery as opposed to the older 30ah.
Good to hear. What is other goodies in MY2020? Does Pilot Assist use map data to handle curves?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I apologize for the little OT, but as you are discussing the battery size...
Is electric consumption affected by slow traffic / start and stop as much as gasoline?
I have a T6, and my morning commute is about 20 miles. I do 26 mpg on average, but my morning commute can easily be 17 mpg because of traffic.
Should I expect the same with electric?

·
Registered
879 Posts
What is other goodies in MY2020? Does Pilot Assist use map data to handle curves?

1) Too many LITTLE things to list that mostly affect the XC90.

BUT, we have new interior NAPPA leather color choices (slate/Blonde/or charcoal) for all R-design models. Also "tailored wool blend" upholstery in slate grey (absolutely beautiful) or midnight zinc colors.

2) No

·
Registered
997 Posts
I heard even the battery upgrade in the 90 is not coming to USA for now.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I apologize for the little OT, but as you are discussing the battery size...
Is electric consumption affected by slow traffic / start and stop as much as gasoline?
I have a T6, and my morning commute is about 20 miles. I do 26 mpg on average, but my morning commute can easily be 17 mpg because of traffic.
Should I expect the same with electric?
E-motor is very good in stop-and-go traffic. It is very efficient and also a big portion of braking energy is recycled.
Battery range could be 15 miles in stop-and-go traffic, 18 to 20 miles in smooth traffic, and 15 miles again at high speed on freeway.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I read that it was up to 18 KwH and gas tank is slightly larger too! Overall extended range...
I don't think it is possible to be 18KwH, if same battery space is used. Only possible if they put some battery in trunk under cargo floor. But price will go up a lot.

·
Registered
325 Posts
11.6kWh, 54km range.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I read this battery range bump would not be coming to the US at least for now... Not sure why...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts