SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to take delivery of a T8 in the northeast. I have read the T8 manual, and can not find wether or not I can use the remote start (the ERS) to warm the vehicle for me when it is NOT plugged into the charger (i.e., when it is in a parking lot at the mall and its 10 degrees outside). It seems clear in the manual that "Preconditioning" can not happen without the vehicle plugged in. Then the manual says in other cases, the car can be cooled for 3 minutes, but nothing about warming?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
You likely meant "remote start" rather than "auto start". I am also unclear whether the VOC app can be used for remote start when the T8 is not plugged in for the US market. (The US market does not receive the European fuel-fired heater for preconditioning.). Logic would suggest that ICE would start since the car defaults to hybrid mode. Here is an email that I received from VCNA Customer Care about preconditioning. The manual almost treats remote start as being synomous with preconditioning when talking about cold weather starts. The US manual needs to be clarified on these points particularly the ERS which purports to be optional. (I never saw it listed as an option in US.)

Thank you for contacting us and providing your feedback. The preconditioning will work when your XC90 T8 is plugged in. If it is not plugged in, it will not function. In the other scenarios you can use the remote start feature through the Volvo On Call app. You can also refer to page 180 in the owner's manual for an explanation of the preconditioning function.
http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/Volvo-2016-XC90T8-twin-engine-plugin-hybrid-owners-manual-v1.pdf
For further information on driving in the snow I will recommend you read the section on the drive modes in the owner's manual on page 391. I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Kind Regards,

Volvo Customer Care
Volvo Car USA

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed - I am asking about Remote Start for the T8. There is nothing in the manual that says it can or can not be done. It only talk about pre-conditioning, which must be plugged in to use, and then says when unplugged it can be used to cool (not heat) the vehicle for 3 minutes.

Still wondering if anyone in the cold with a T8 is able to remote start the vehicle, while unplugged, to heat the car for a few minutes prior to entry?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Attempts to invoke preconditioning when not connected to the mains (plugged in) fail - as noted in the manual you have to be connected to do preconditioning. (The error on the dash and in the app is a bit misleading - would be better if it would just tell you it can't precondition without being plugged in.) Also - don't know about cooling preconditioning ... will have to wait some months to test that out :)

No remote start in the app (I have T8 for US market).

When starting the vehicle after it has been sitting outside in sub-freezing temps (and not plugged in) - initially it will be on battery but after a short period of time (minute, or less?) it starts the engine. And even with a full battery it will run the engine for a while when the vehicle is cold - assuming to get it up to operating temps such that if you need to call on it, its ready.

I think it would be nice - especially in markets where the fuel heater is not available - to be able to remote start the engine and turn on heat, defroster, seats, etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Attempts to invoke preconditioning when not connected to the mains (plugged in) fail - as noted in the manual you have to be connected to do preconditioning. (The error on the dash and in the app is a bit misleading - would be better if it would just tell you it can't precondition without being plugged in.) Also - don't know about cooling preconditioning ... will have to wait some months to test that out :)

No remote start in the app (I have T8 for US market).

When starting the vehicle after it has been sitting outside in sub-freezing temps (and not plugged in) - initially it will be on battery but after a short period of time (minute, or less?) it starts the engine. And even with a full battery it will run the engine for a while when the vehicle is cold - assuming to get it up to operating temps such that if you need to call on it, its ready.

I think it would be nice - especially in markets where the fuel heater is not available - to be able to remote start the engine and turn on heat, defroster, seats, etc.

Interesting info, thanks. Ours has often thrown off a "preconditioning interrupted, battery running low" message to the app, even when plugged in and fully charged. Seems worse when it's cold (car is outside, it's about 15 degrees). I Have a call into service to see if it's normal or if we have missed something. Theories -- it's doing this because it's cold, because it's constantly in preconditioning mode, or because it's plugged into a regular 120 outlet. Have you seen that error?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow Im a little surprised at that. Im just a day or two from picking the car up and this is giving me cause to pause! I have an autostart on my QX56 that I use 2-3 times per day in the winter. On none of those occasions do I have access to a plug. There must be a reason for this, but I can't understand it. Can you put an aftermarket auto start in? I currently use the Viper brand.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I park my cars in the garage and want to make sure the engine doesn't start unsupervised.
Rest assured - it won't. The preconditioning is electric only. I use it every time (before) I take my car out of the garage!

MikeAllard said:
I have an autostart on my QX56 that I use 2-3 times per day in the winter. (snip) Can you put an aftermarket auto start in?
Not really familiar with the QX56 - but I believe that is just a V8 vehicle (non-hybrid)? The XC90 T8 seems to be a bit more complicated - though one would think there should be a way to auto start it. The VOC app (where you have control of such things) is lacking an auto start function for the T8.

Because of the stop/start system I doubt that there would be an aftermarket remote control solution.

There was a long thread about the lack of a key fob based remote starter for the T6 (only via VOC mobile application).

T8's in some markets (not the US) can come with heaters that run off the fuel of the vehicle - not sure why we don't have that in the US.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No aftermarket remote start for Volvos after 2013, according to my car start guy (apparently Volvo does not allow it). I have to decide today or tomorrow if this is grounds for divorce (i.e. cancel the car). The tough part is that this is feature I constantly use. I can't go to the T6 cause i need the 400 HP to pull my trailer. These guys may lose an $84,000 order because they don't have remote start available, and on a 2016 model that has every technology known to man! (Except remote start, and from a cold weather manufacturer). This really doesn't make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
For the sake of pulling your trailer, T8 cannot do it, as it is no more powerful than a T6 after the 14miles e-range. Battery power is not sustainable, it is momentary power for short period only.

Towing capacity of T8 is no more than T6 either.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Mike: you may want to venture over to the Volvo official support forums - there are Volvo employees there that quite often are pretty quick with answers. Here's a link:

http://support.volvocars.com/forum/

I've never had remote start - so I'm not missing it. In another thread there were a lot of comments about not having remote start on the T6 via a keyfob interface. As I understand it, the T6 only has remote start via the Volvo on Call (VOC) mobile app.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
As I understand it, the T6 only has remote start via the Volvo on Call (VOC) mobile app.
Are you saying the T8 in North America doesn't come with remote start via the VOC app??

·
Registered
61 Posts
When Volvo says plugged-in does it matter if the T8 is plugged into a level 1 (110V) or level 2 (220V) charger ? At home I will have a level 2 charger but at the cottage I was hoping to pre-condition (warm up in winter) on a level 1 charger.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
No, it does not matter - 110/120 or 220/240. Both should be dedicated lines. VOC has remote start but the heating is still a question for me that I am pursuing with VCNA Customer Care. I will post what I learn.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Are you saying the T8 in North America doesn't come with remote start via the VOC app??
Unless they have hidden it somewhere - no. I'll attach a couple of screen shots of my app and the documentation (the latter applies to both CA and US).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

VOC v3.2.1 Android XC90 T8 screens

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

2016 Sensus Connect with Volvo On Call manual v1 page 7

Volvo On Call mobile app

Engine remote start (ERS) 1

footnote 1
Certain models only

·
Registered
62 Posts
Surely in the T8 you cant start the engine remotely as when you press the start button from in the car the petrol engine does not come on. What amazes me is that the US does not get the petrol heater as in the UK we do and you can then warm the car remotely so no need to start the engine and far more fuel efficient. I would have thought it would at least be an option for colder areas.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts