SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the plastic engine cover on my T6 that hides the engine and discovered:
  • The top of the engine was dirty with obvious oil spill, probably from careless filling that allowed the oil to run down the outside of the funnel
  • The protective sleeves on almost all of the wiring harness to the coils, injectors and various sensors have become brittle and have started to disintegrate

My question pertains to the wiring harness and disintegrated protective sleeves -- is this a problem (or potential problem) and should I locate suitable sleeving and fit / replace the old and brittle sleeves?

·
Registered
192 Posts
The oil spilling on to the top of the engine could be caused by what you describe. However, we know that the rubber gasket or seal on the oil filler cap is known to fail. How many miles on your T6? It's an easy fix. Blow by in the engine escapes from the filler cap and puddle on top of the engine.

As to the disintegrating wiring harness, mine also does the same thing. I crushed them with my fingers and then used a shop vac to suck up the little chips. Replaced them with a similar product from NAPA and e-tape (electrical tape). After just a year or so the same thing happened. I am now looking into high temp wire harness products which are out there. Found some tape specifically for auto wiring harnesses and bought it. Have not used it yet.

I'm not too worried about this as I don't see it as critical. However, when you change the plugs it's nice having the wires enclosed.

enjoy,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
However, we know that the rubber gasket or seal on the oil filler cap is known to fail. How many miles on your T6? It's an easy fix. Blow by in the engine escapes from the filler cap and puddle on top of the engine.

Found some tape specifically for auto wiring harnesses and bought it. Have not used it yet. I'm not too worried about this as I don't see it as critical. However, when you change the plugs it's nice having the wires enclosed.
Going on 100.000 miles (160.000 km). Thanks for the advice wrt gasket on oil filler cap. Will also investigate the wiring harness tape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts