SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have driven both the T6 and V8. Is there a highly noticable difference? I was considering an '07 V8 when my lease is up, but I do put on a lot of miles. Thanks http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: T6 vs. V8 (sixthsuspect)

I've driven both and have the T6 (so most likely some bias here), but my take is that unless you really like the sound of the exhaust note of a V8, the T6 has just about all the power of the V8 that "most people" will notice across the RPM range. I prefer the turbo.

Just my "two cents".

·
Registered
134 Posts

I have the T6. I will tell you that the V8 felt stronger to my rear end, but, not that much. From a dead stop, the V8 seemed to accelerate without any hesitation at all. My T6 takes a half tick to get going. That said, I think you should drive them both and decide for yourself. The overall performance is quite similar and reduced the value equation for the V8's considerable extra cost. The V8 does have a very aggressive exhaust note.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: T6 vs. V8 (ImInPA)

Regardless of power and performance, and without any intention to offend T6 owners - STAY AWAY from used T6.

The transmission has KNOWN propencities to failure. It is underrated for the engine torque.

2.5T - if you are "normally aspired" driver and V8 if you are "turbo-charged".

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: T6 vs. V8 (gascos80)

Quote, originally posted by gascos80 »
Regardless of power and performance, and without any intention to offend T6 owners - STAY AWAY from used T6.

The transmission has KNOWN propencities to failure. It is underrated for the engine torque.

2.5T - if you are "normally aspired" driver and V8 if you are "turbo-charged".

Clarification... Stay away from pre-2008 T6s. 2008 and newer T6 models utilize the same transmission used in the 3.2 and V8.

T

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: T6 vs. V8 (T Schroeder)

Thank you, I stand corrected. I saw 07 V8 and assumed that the same applies to T6.

New T6 is a great trim, and latest discounts make T6/ Executive package such a sweet deal...

·
Registered
83 Posts

wow looks like i'm the only v8 owner hahaha well i didn't drive the t6 so i can't really compare the two. But what i CAN tell you is that the v8 is awesome. Its a burly motor and the exhaust note.. Dear god does it sound good/aggressive haha. Everytime i turn it on i always find myself smiling.
the power is ALWAYS there when you need it. From a dead stop, gas it all the way and you'll find yourself thrown back into your seat. My friend has a BMW 545. I let him drive my car and he even said it feels faster than his car. Even though he has more hp in his car. I'm getting 17 miles to the gallon, all city driving, which is good. From what i heard they're only making 50-100 v8 in 09 to be released in the states so its a little more rare as well. All in all i'm sure you can tell i love the v8. Good luck with your choice!! Either way its still the new body s80 http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: T6 vs. V8 (SwedeDriven)

I would some it up as the V8 being the burly athlete whereas the T6 is an elegant and high class performer.

The former sounds gnarly has gobs of burly torque combine with (only at start up) an AMG-like exhaust note whereas the latter is silky smooth with, yes, slightly less torque than the V8 but the differences are very small. The T6 just glides. Right now, I am driving a V8 and I realized that I had almost forgotten how able this car is; tremendous engine, well put together chassis, great ride even with 18" wheels.

You will not go wrong either way; equally compared, you will save quite a bit of money by selecting a T6 over the V8.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

I would sum it up as the V8 being the burly and great athlete whereas the T6 is an elegant and high class performer.

The former sounds gnarly, has gobs of burly torque combined with (only at start up) an AMG-like exhaust note whereas the latter is silky smooth with, yes, slightly less torque than the V8 but the differences are very small. The T6 just glides. Right now, I am driving a V8 and I realized that I had almost forgotten how able this car is; tremendous engine, well put together chassis, great ride even with 18" wheels.

You will not go wrong either way.

Modified by GrecianVolvo at 9:06 AM 7-26-2009

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,286 Posts
Re: T6 vs. V8 (GrecianVolvo)

I have driven all 3 S80 variants and owned a 07 S80 V8. In the current iteration, V8 trumps the T6, absolutely no question about it. However when the DI (direct injection) T6 launches in 2011, hopefully, with 306 HP and 320+ lb/ft TQ, you may want to reconsider.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Drove a friends 07 V8 for a day then test drove a 09 T6. I bought the T6 which has plenty of power and really wasn't much different than the V8. The extra $$ didn't seem worth it. The T6 was a world of difference over the 3.2 however.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm probably looking into used, I love the growl of the V8...the kid inside me. (I feel like a frosted mini-wheats commercial) The V8s have come down substantially in price though, so much that I'm considering it over the T6..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: (sixthsuspect)

well since we're talking about price now i'll let tell you guys how much i got my 07 v8.. Hopefully this will help you out when you go to the dealership.

Its a 2007 v8 with sport package, Blis, ac seats, premium sound. It had 20k miles certified through volvo. It has factory warranty till 2013 or 100k. It was originally priced at 32k. I worked them down to 26k.
haha they're even giving me a deal on the 19" 5 spoke heico volutions (with tires). If i trade it my 18" zubras they'll give me then heico's for 2000 dollars flat. They're also selling me the heico springs for 410!!
i'm going in next monday to have them put everything on. I'll post pics soon http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
106 Posts

If you're looking to buy used, go for the V8. They can be had for a pretty good price, and the V8 engine is awesome as others here posted. Unless I lived at high altitude, I'd choose normally aspirated engine over a turbo any day (more parts to worry about on the turbo).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: (SwedeDriven)

Quote, originally posted by SwedeDriven »
well since we're talking about price now i'll let tell you guys how much i got my 07 v8.. Hopefully this will help you out when you go to the dealership.

Its a 2007 v8 with sport package, Blis, ac seats, premium sound. It had 20k miles certified through volvo. It has factory warranty till 2013 or 100k. It was originally priced at 32k. I worked them down to 26k.
haha they're even giving me a deal on the 19" 5 spoke heico volutions (with tires). If i trade it my 18" zubras they'll give me then heico's for 2000 dollars flat. They're also selling me the heico springs for 410!!
i'm going in next monday to have them put everything on. I'll post pics soon http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Can aftermarket springs be used with the sport package?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: (arporro)

i talked to the volvo techs and they said the only thing i might have to worry about is buying control arms but from what they said the newer cars don't need them. It should be a pretty straight forward install. They're charging me 300 for installation. I looked all over the place and as of right now the only people that makes springs for the 07+ s80 (awd) is heico. H&R makes it for the t6 FWD for i believe 250. I'm not willing to wait for them to release it for my car haha so i'm going with the heico's.

Haha so to answer your question yes.. Yes it can... just make sure its the right one for you car. Cheers!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: (SwedeDriven)

Quote, originally posted by SwedeDriven »
i talked to the volvo techs and they said the only thing i might have to worry about is buying control arms but from what they said the newer cars don't need them. It should be a pretty straight forward install. They're charging me 300 for installation. I looked all over the place and as of right now the only people that makes springs for the 07+ s80 (awd) is heico. H&R makes it for the t6 FWD for i believe 250. I'm not willing to wait for them to release it for my car haha so i'm going with the heico's.

Haha so to answer your question yes.. Yes it can... just make sure its the right one for you car. Cheers!!

You may not need new springs -- if you want a bone jarring ride, just drive your car in advanced mode all the time like I do
I'd like to get the HEICO exhaust system for the S80, but can't bring myself to spend $1600.00 for it. Anyone know where to get 2007+ S80 HEICO parts for below list price?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Re: (arporro)

One more opinion:

I have the V8 and love it! But I have driven the T6 for more than a week, and can tell you that it is very capable, and almost feels quicker in around town traffic because the turbo spools up so fast. The V8 takes a little nudging, but is obviously faster overall. Best part about the V8 -- the growl!

·
Registered
40 Posts
6 is one, half a dozen is the other. Both very capable cars with AWD so if you can find the best available deal on a car you'll be happy driving for a few years and a color you'll enjoy looking at, its a home run on either auto..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.