SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will try to avoid being redundant or silly, but I'm trying to flesh out an idea before going to far down the rabbit hole.

I know you can mate up a T6 to a RWD trans, but I haven't find examples of people doing it. Of course even if one could make it work, would the trans even be able to handle it? What about the rear diff? If done correctly the modification starts at the engine and works it's way all the way back. Getting more power is only as good as getting it to the wheels. The off set of adding more power while adding more weight, etc.

Has anyone encountered someone going in this direction? I can imagine the CAN BUS could cause major headaches to make it all work, but my curiosity is still here.

Now, my madness doesn't end here. I've dreamed of old Jags my entire life, especially the XJS and the Series 1s & 2s, but the though of restoring one of these with the stock engine seemed like such a drag. I've driven them with their stock engines and even in V12 form, they weren't particularly exciting today. The gears in my head have been turning for years as to what engine to put into the car to make it reliable, and, if possible, to put out respectable performance numbers (like 0-60 in the 7 second range). A conversion to a 960 drive-train seems like the logic step for someone with excess to so many parts Volvos as myself. The I6 potentially could provide an uncluttered engine bay with a hopefully relatively straight forward swap.

Yes, I know everyone puts a Chevy V8 in these things if they want to do engine conversions, but I don't know anything about Chevy. I have driven about 3 Chevys in my entire life. If it gets a new power plant, it gets something Euro.

The idea is to build a Arden XJ replica, similar to this jaw dropping stunner.

Of course the Arden XJ had the V12 producing around 300 hp, and in some cases over 400 (!) and I know that would be difficult to reproduce with a Volvo drive-train, but I'm not much for extremes. I don't need to be the fastest horse on the street, and at the end of the day style and ease of use is probably the most important things to me.

I currently have a 1985 XJ6 that I'm going to start ripping apart to see how things would fit.

Haha, I do have a 98 S90 around that I should probably test drive to see how I feel about the naturally aspirated stock engine before I say I would be OK with using the non-CAN-BUS engine.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My trolling around on Turbo Bricks reveals that some modification can be done to the stock Non-Turbo 6 that would increase the power to potentially the 240 hp mark with exhaust modification and a good cold air filter. Both would have to be done anyways for the conversion to the Jag. Perhaps there is hope to get adequate power out of the simpler engine?

I'm just spitting, please feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For whatever it's worth, my project got hit by a tree.

In looking for a replacement test mule I ran across a very nice 1993 XJS

The XJS is powered by a quite reasonable 4.0 I6 and mated up with a 4 speed automatic, which is pretty much what I would have ended up with if using the Volvo drive train. In the end, the Jag kept it's own heart.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The T6 motor from S80s has the same bolt pattern on the transmission side as a 960/S90/V90 so you can easily use this motor and mate it up with the 960 4 speed transmission which is basically a very good unit and is essentially the same as the trans fitted to Toyota Supras and Lexus SC400.

There was a great thread in 2008 or thereabouts about a guy with a V90 who used a T6 block mated with 2.3 litre 5 cylinder pistons (same bore size), T5 rods and original head with T6 valve springs and a huge Holset turbo. It chugged along quite nicely

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts