SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out curiosity, how audible is it exactly? I've tried to watch some of the acceleration videos and listen carefully with headphones and the whine seems very subdued and also often totally covered by road/tire noise. I was hoping the supercharger would give some character to otherwise so generic sounding engine.

Of course it would be best to test drive one myself but there's currently only one used S60 T6 Drive-E available in this sad country and that dealer is 300 miles away from me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can hear the ::psssssssss:: sound occasionally. And if you REALLY want to hear the sound, you can remove the padding off of the air filter cover under the hood.

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I first got my RD I didn't notice it probably because I was enjoying my HK sound system too much but one day I heard it spooling and the blow off and now I hear it all the time and I like it. It's not very loud though. I doubt someone on the sidewalk would hear it unless they were listening for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Turbocharged, no whine, and not noticeable to me anyway. I couldn't differentiate the sound of the T6 from a non turbo.
The T6 Drive-E has a supercharger in addition to the turbo. Supercharger is mechanically linked to engine I believe where as turbo uses exhaust.

·
Registered
770 Posts
This video of an XC60 T6 Drive-E seems to capture the SC whine pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqoPYHwOVxI . Through my ear buds the engine sounds very much like my T5-e in all other respects so I imagine it's pretty true-to-life. I can't say the sound does much for me (would prefer a little more from the exhaust) but I guess it's something.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This video of an XC60 T6 Drive-E seems to capture the SC whine pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqoPYHwOVxI . Through my ear buds the engine sounds very much like my T5-e in all other respects so I imagine it's pretty true-to-life. I can't say the sound does much for me (would prefer a little more from the exhaust) but I guess it's something.
Thanks. That's definately the best video so far. I agree, a better sounding exhaust would be nice for these engines.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you want to hear either more prominently, the only way is to:
1) get a "performance" air filter (this one makes it a bit louder, not too much)
2) get a cone style air intake w/open air filter (this one makes it much louder)

The supercharger whine in my CTS-V got dramatically louder with an intake.
https://youtu.be/prpNMuN2-2Q

With my Xc60 T6, I bought a K&N square filter and the sound (spool, blowoff) got noticeable but not too loud. The key is to have an open air filter, honestly. The issue with that is that if you don't place it properly, you'll get heat-soak and the performance will suffer.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think I hear a little tire screech as it goes into 2nd around 4:07. nice!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want to hear either more prominently, the only way is to:
1) get a "performance" air filter (this one makes it a bit louder, not too much)
2) get a cone style air intake w/open air filter (this one makes it much louder)

The supercharger whine in my CTS-V got dramatically louder with an intake.
https://youtu.be/prpNMuN2-2Q

With my Xc60 T6, I bought a K&N square filter and the sound (spool, blowoff) got noticeable but not too loud. The key is to have an open air filter, honestly. The issue with that is that if you don't place it properly, you'll get heat-soak and the performance will suffer.
Quite a loud whine in that CTS-V of yours, brought the Mad Max Interceptor to my mind :cool:.

I once toyed around with the idea of opening up the intake in my S60 in hopes of more audible turbo whistle (which you can slightly hear but only with windows down) but ultimately gave up because of all the talk about poor filtering capabilities that some of these aftermarket filters supposedly have.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quite a loud whine in that CTS-V of yours, brought the Mad Max Interceptor to my mind :cool:.

I once toyed around with the idea of opening up the intake in my S60 in hopes of more audible turbo whistle (which you can slightly hear but only with windows down) but ultimately gave up because of all the talk about poor filtering capabilities that some of these aftermarket filters supposedly have.
iF I remember correctly, it's a 1.8L Eaton unit that takes about 170hp just to spin up. The 2nd gen V had 400+ hp at Idle. Miss that car.

I've been thinking of customizing my own intake with AirAid's "build your own intake" kit. May end up doing it just because..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts