SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

T6 S60 - Slight hesitation after releasing the brake

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  michaelmcken 
#1 ·
All,

Have a 2019 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar. I noticed that when in Comfort or Individual (regardless of settings) there is a slight delay after releasing the brake (from a complete stop) before the car begins to move, almost as if it's releasing a brake (like hill assist). This is happening on flat surfaces, no hills or incline. It DOES NOT happen in "Polestar" mode.

P.S. The auto brake hold feature is disabled (the car is not holding the brake for me it just takes a second to start rolling after i release the brake). It really feels just like a hill assist feature to prevent from rolling bug, again, I am on completely flat surfaces.

Is this intended, some kind of safety feature?

Thanks!

#2 ·
There is a lot going on with these modern cars ;-) Now this is complete conjecture...but I've felt the same thing, and I think what is happening is that when you stop in drive, the trans disconnects in some way while you idle, perhaps for efficiency. When you start to go again there is a tiny delay while it reconnects. The eco-mode has the ability to disconnect/disable engine braking for coasting so perhaps that same feature is leveraged when idling in drive. It would make sense if there is a clutch ahead of or behind the torque converter. But again its just a guess based on the behavior.

#4 ·
Are you sure it isn't the vehicle starting back up after the engine shuts off at a light or stop sign?

On my car, the auto start/stop is almost undetectable especially if your music is playing. Other than the pausing sensation, and maybe the slightest vibration, you wouldn't really realize if it activated or not. Next time you drive, before releasing the brake, see if the driver display shows that the auto start/stop is engaged and then see if that is the delay you're feeling when you release the brake and put your foot back on the gas. It definitely would make sense to be exactly this since you are describing that you do not notice this when in Polestar mode (Polestar/Dynamic Mode shuts auto start/stop off).

#5 ·
Are you sure it isn't the vehicle starting back up after the engine shuts off at a light or stop sign?

On my car, the auto start/stop is almost undetectable especially if your music is playing. Other than the pausing sensation, and maybe the slightest vibration, you wouldn't really realize if it activated or not. Next time you drive, before releasing the brake, see if the driver display shows that the auto start/stop is engaged and then see if that is the delay you're feeling when you release the brake and put your foot back on the gas. It definitely would make sense to be exactly this since you are describing that you do not notice this when in Polestar mode (Polestar/Dynamic Mode shuts auto start/stop off).
auto start/stop is definitely turned off. This delay is more subtle than that and the engine remains on.

#13 ·
I've noticed this in my 2019 S60 T5. I normally drive in comfort mode. My husband pointed it out when he was driving the car during a longer trip and I thought maybe he was imagining it, but I've definitely noticed it, too.
I'm confident this is normal. I had a chance today to drive another 2019 s60 and it had the same thing going on. Also, I was able to narrow it down to the acceleration setting that is used in comfort mode. I did this by enabling Individual drive mode and toggling between the Normal and Dynamic acceleration setting. When in normal the hesitation is felt but once that setting is changed to dynamic it stops happening.

I'm sure I will get used to it. I think I already am.

#14 ·
This is a feature that started in 2015. It is not related to the brakes or hill assist. It is a fuel saving feature where the transmission shifts into a neutral-like state (since the brakes are depressed, why should the transmission still be pulling.) There is a split second lag when it engages. You are correct with sport mode-by design it stays engaged because you want no delay.

All,

Have a 2019 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar. I noticed that when in Comfort or Individual (regardless of settings) there is a slight delay after releasing the brake (from a complete stop) before the car begins to move, almost as if it's releasing a brake (like hill assist). This is happening on flat surfaces, no hills or incline. It DOES NOT happen in "Polestar" mode.

P.S. The auto brake hold feature is disabled (the car is not holding the brake for me it just takes a second to start rolling after i release the brake). It really feels just like a hill assist feature to prevent from rolling bug, again, I am on completely flat surfaces.

Is this intended, some kind of safety feature?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.