SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a xc60 t6, with 113k on it, was dealer serviced all of its life, when i bought it at 104k had no issues. Now its making a grinding noise and sounds like the pulleys need to be replaced. Had a shop look at it and they said the READ or REED drive bearing may need to be replaced. Is this common with ownership? No clue how it happened, i know its a very expensive service and not every shop has the tools to repair.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What RPM is the noise the loudest? Does the noise change with lights on or off?
What year model is your XC60?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The alternator one way clutch needs to be eliminated as the noise. The alternator can be removed with little work and then intake re-attached and run the engine. READ bearings tend t be loudest at 1700-2000 rpm. Your car has the ball bearings on the intermediate gear and those have not had much of a failure rate unless the oil changes are neglected severely. The serpentine belt drive is also a one-way clutch that can fail and be noisey. Water pump is also on the list. You have the electric P/S pump with the revised water pump and those can give up under 100K miles.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I recently had a grinding noise coming from from the belt area at 170K miles. Turned out to be the air conditioning compressor.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
About the only way to pinpoint the READ as the source of the noise is to remove the serpentine belt (and maybe the alternator coupler like cattlecar commented), start the engine and listen for any change in the noise. If no change, then the READ is likely the source.

More common than READ failure is water pump, serp belt tensioner and/or idler pulley or A/C compressor.

The last time I diagnosed a READ failure, I didn't need to start the engine after I removed the serp belt. The serp belt drive pulley (READ) had lots of play in it where it should have none. That pulley is below the A/C compressor pulley and does require belt removal (which requires compressor removal).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, yeah the tech, said it was the read drive. I had him do everything well in there. Water pump and pulleys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts