SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy pulling a trailer took out the side of my '99 E39 540i manual (his ins totaled it, my buddy is buying and fixing it). She who must be obeyed "would appreciate it if" I replaced it with an automatic sedan. Since an automatic 5 series is about as much fun as an automatic Volvo I am looking at a few sedans for sale locally with about the same miles (mine had 79K) and a similar stack of records.

There is a T6 near me with dealer records. What are the weak points of the car? Is there a FAQ somewhere with the pros and cons of the car, what to expect to have to do in the next say 40k miles (may have a 100 mile daily commute in near future)? For example there is a S60 near me with the 2.5 and 105K miles. I know the timing belt service is due soon, and I have the receipts from her XC90 so I know what it will run. I don't know about the S80 drivetrain.

Also, what's a clean 09 with 75k going for these days? I figure about 9-11k.

There are a few 07 V8s around too. What are the V8 weaknesses?

TIA
Tom

Registered
What model year is the T6? Some early 2007 V8s could potentially have problems with the valve body but that's about it and only the very earliest cars were affected (MY07, cars manufactured before October 2006). Both the T6 and V8 are pretty trouble-free engines. Both use timing chains so there's nothing to maintain there.

I think MY07 was the last one to use haldex III wheras 2008 and onwards, up until 2012-2013 sometime had generation IV that is quicker and to my subjective understanding also more reliable but that's not an argument against a haldex III car. Just a good-to-know "fact" if you were to decide between a 2007 and a newer one.

Regarding the T6s, MY11 and newer have an updated version of the engine. Older ones 2008-2010 are 285 hp whereas 2011- are 304 hp. The latter also is more fuel efficient for whatever that's worth in this context, hehe.

Registered
The 2008 Volvo S80 V8 with all-wheel drive is very impressive. It is beautifully streamlined, luxuriously appointed, all-weather ready, and powerful. Its V8 engine produces a very smooth 311 horsepower and 325 lb.-ft. of torque; an adjustable suspension system switches from highway soft to hardcore stiff. By any measure, it is a great car. But, do we really need so much? Could less be more? To find out, we went for the turbocharged six-cylinder variant, known as the T6.

Exterior styling is neither less nor more. A natural evolution of the first-generation S80, which was based on the classic 240 with broad shoulders, tall grille and formal roofline, the second-generation model is rounder and sleeker, but still recognizably Volvo. Shoulders are less severe, but are still pronounced and accentuate beautiful lines that sweep from the front bumper, through the headlamps, along the side, and end at the trailing edge of the taillamps. An integrated lip spoiler lets air reacquaint with the minimum of turbulence. Twin chrome exhausts exit through the bottom of the bumper. If you remember Volvos as resembling the boxes they came in, the S80 is delightfully shocking.

Not a square edge can be found inside, either. Big thick doors are upholstered in high-quality padded vinyl and accented by woodgrain strips and solid aluminum door handles. Modern matte wood replaces classic glossy wood on the doors, dash, and center console. The ultra thin center control stack borrows a neat styling trick from the S40/V50, allowing for a hidden space behind for keys, garage door openers, and change. Controls are easy to locate and use, despite the highly styled console. I鈥檓 a big fan of the thick, four-spoke, leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather shifter, detailed analog gauges, and God鈥檚 own leather heated seats. Nobody makes seats like Volvo for long-distance comfort, whiplash protection, and support during spirited drives. Rear passengers settle in nicely below the sloping roofline into available heated seats. Everybody is protected by side curtain airbags.

There are enough electronics inside to entice Chinese spies. Our test car did without in-dash navigation, but saved space for a Dynaudio Premium Sound System with 6-CD changer, Sirius Satellite Radio, auxiliary input (for MP3 players), Dolby Pro-Logic II Surround Sound, 650 watts of power, 12 speakers, and rear seat headphone jacks and audio controls. Settle into the seats, turn up the sound, and you may never want out. For a price, customers can select adaptive cruise control (adjusts speed via radar when approaching another vehicle), rain sensor wipers (automatically adjust speed), active headlamps (a la Tucker), lane departure warning (monitors lanes and lets you know when you鈥檙e drifting), and blind spot warning (cameras alert you when cars are not visible). Volvo left virtually no function without a circuit board or camera.

There鈥檚 no question you get all of the S80 V8鈥檚 style and luxury in the T6, but do you also get the performance? The turbocharged six-cylinder engine is enthusiastic with its 281 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque, even if that is about 30 less of each than with the V8. A V8 obviously has more torque for low-end grunt, but the turbo is about as smooth as a turbo can be, giving the S80 deep lungs on the highway. Driving at almost any speed was a delight. Unfortunately, you get no fuel economy break with the T6, which is rated 15/23 mpg city/highway 鈥 just like the V8.

One aspect that surprised me most is the chassis. Having an adjustable suspension is a nice toy, but some can get chattery over rough pavement and never seem to settle into the right amount of control. The T6鈥檚 chassis was comfortably soft on the highway, but firm enough in the twisties. For most drivers, I think it is a better choice. Safety is enhanced by four-wheel antilock disc brakes, electronic traction control, and stability control. Hydraulic Brake Assist applies more pressure faster when emergency braking is detected while brake pressure control modulates stopping in curves to keep the car stable.

Volvos are not high-powered AMG-modified Mercedes nor brash American V-Series Cadillacs. Volvos are first, and above all, Swedish luxurymobiles. They last forever, excel at safety, and drive like the fine European cars they are. The carry themselves with a reserved confidence that says, 鈥淚 can get the job done, and better than most. But, there鈥檚 no reason to brag. All is good.鈥

V8 models are a blast to drive, but maybe a little too much for some. For them, the T6 will be just right. Is it better than the V8? Well, that鈥檚 like deciding between a juicy steak and grilled salmon. They are very different, but is one better? Drive what you like and be happy. And safe. Always safe. With an as-tested price of $42,045, competition includes the Mercedes E Class, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti M35, and Buick Lucerne Super.

Here is a UK link: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?48040-S80-V8-or-S80-T6-which-do-you-think-is-better

http://www.netcarshow.com/volvo/2006-s80/

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What model year is the T6? Some early 2007 V8s could potentially have problems with the valve body but that's about it and only the very earliest cars were affected (MY07, cars manufactured before October 2006). Both the T6 and V8 are pretty trouble-free engines. Both use timing chains so there's nothing to maintain there.

I think MY07 was the last one to use haldex III wheras 2008 and onwards, up until 2012-2013 sometime had generation IV that is quicker and to my subjective understanding also more reliable but that's not an argument against a haldex III car. Just a good-to-know "fact" if you were to decide between a 2007 and a newer one.

Regarding the T6s, MY11 and newer have an updated version of the engine. Older ones 2008-2010 are 285 hp whereas 2011- are 304 hp. The latter also is more fuel efficient for whatever that's worth in this context, hehe.
Thanks. Keep em coming.
The T6 by me is an 09, the V8s are 07. One I think is a curbstoner which turns me off. Im pretty sure the T6 is the original owner, and he is about three miles from me. 75k miles. Am I off if I say 10k max? Has butt warmers and parking sensors. Don't think it has the radar cruise, or perforated seats.

As for the next post, thanks. As for a V8 being too much for some - I think I'm ok on that front (I have a helmet :) ). Had the 540 on a track for a few laps during lunch once just to see what I could do on the straight compared to the 944, autocrossed a few different toys. What turns me off to the V8 is the Xenons and sport suspension. I would love having it, but don't want to deal with the hassle when it comes time to replace the shocks. Doing that on her XC90 now. Fronts are easy - Sachs from FCP, with the bearings 260 shipped. Nivomat rears - I may be looking for springs one of these days. Don't want that hassle with a sedan. Replaced her halogens for about 125 each for knock offs (TYK?). The xenons on my 540 were about $900 each for Hellas. Thanks but...

Registered
No clue what a curbstoner is. And I just realized I have on clue what the prices range on second hand volvos in the states so, err, I'll refrain from even speculating on that. Assuming they're both similarly equipped and cost roughly the same, the T6 does sound like a bit of a better buy if it's a one owner car. That in combination with the car being two model years newer sounds like it should hopefully not be troublesome. And yes, a V8's a V8 and to a lot of people it's the best engine put in a Volvo but a T6 will still be a huge leap from the 2.5 AWD (2.5T?) you mentioned in your signature. It's another cylinder and 70-80 more hp.

Though I should also point out that whereas the xenons are costly to swap the bulbs it's definitely worth it. I think their lifetime is substantially longer than regular halogens anyway so I'm not sure it adds up to any additional costs in the long run anyway. I think the bulb itself is around $120 (a tad over 1000 SEK) compared to a set of two halogens which is what, $40 for a set of nightbreakers?

Registered
Hi Tommm,

I haven't driven the t6 (on my to do list), but love my 07 v8.

On the plus side, the cost/value ratio is insane. You can buy a lot of car for relatively little money.

The combination of understated luxury along with the beefy performance hits all the sweet spots for me.

I think it's a well made, well running car over all.

On the con side, repairs can be expensive, as you've noticed.

I have a front strut starting to leak, and will be replacing them both sometime in the future, and that's an expensive repair (4-c suspension).

I will be using a good indie who allows me to bring parts, and will buy the struts myself, probably from rockauto, whose prices seem to be the lowest pretty much across the board. You can save a bundle going that route.

Read this forum - you will learn a lot, including all the potential issues, which no car is exempt.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Registered
The 2008 Volvo S80 V8 with all-wheel drive is very impressive. It is beautifully streamlined, luxuriously appointed, all-weather ready, and powerful. Its V8 engine produces a very smooth 311 horsepower and 325 lb.-ft. of torque; an adjustable suspension system switches from highway soft to hardcore stiff. By any measure, it is a great car. But, do we really need so much? Could less be more? To find out, we went for the turbocharged six-cylinder variant, known as the T6.

Exterior styling is neither less nor more. A natural evolution of the first-generation S80, which was based on the classic 240 with broad shoulders, tall grille and formal roofline, the second-generation model is rounder and sleeker, but still recognizably Volvo. Shoulders are less severe, but are still pronounced and accentuate beautiful lines that sweep from the front bumper, through the headlamps, along the side, and end at the trailing edge of the taillamps. An integrated lip spoiler lets air reacquaint with the minimum of turbulence. Twin chrome exhausts exit through the bottom of the bumper. If you remember Volvos as resembling the boxes they came in, the S80 is delightfully shocking.

Not a square edge can be found inside, either. Big thick doors are upholstered in high-quality padded vinyl and accented by woodgrain strips and solid aluminum door handles. Modern matte wood replaces classic glossy wood on the doors, dash, and center console. The ultra thin center control stack borrows a neat styling trick from the S40/V50, allowing for a hidden space behind for keys, garage door openers, and change. Controls are easy to locate and use, despite the highly styled console. I鈥檓 a big fan of the thick, four-spoke, leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather shifter, detailed analog gauges, and God鈥檚 own leather heated seats. Nobody makes seats like Volvo for long-distance comfort, whiplash protection, and support during spirited drives. Rear passengers settle in nicely below the sloping roofline into available heated seats. Everybody is protected by side curtain airbags.

There are enough electronics inside to entice Chinese spies. Our test car did without in-dash navigation, but saved space for a Dynaudio Premium Sound System with 6-CD changer, Sirius Satellite Radio, auxiliary input (for MP3 players), Dolby Pro-Logic II Surround Sound, 650 watts of power, 12 speakers, and rear seat headphone jacks and audio controls. Settle into the seats, turn up the sound, and you may never want out. For a price, customers can select adaptive cruise control (adjusts speed via radar when approaching another vehicle), rain sensor wipers (automatically adjust speed), active headlamps (a la Tucker), lane departure warning (monitors lanes and lets you know when you鈥檙e drifting), and blind spot warning (cameras alert you when cars are not visible). Volvo left virtually no function without a circuit board or camera.

There鈥檚 no question you get all of the S80 V8鈥檚 style and luxury in the T6, but do you also get the performance? The turbocharged six-cylinder engine is enthusiastic with its 281 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque, even if that is about 30 less of each than with the V8. A V8 obviously has more torque for low-end grunt, but the turbo is about as smooth as a turbo can be, giving the S80 deep lungs on the highway. Driving at almost any speed was a delight. Unfortunately, you get no fuel economy break with the T6, which is rated 15/23 mpg city/highway 鈥 just like the V8.

One aspect that surprised me most is the chassis. Having an adjustable suspension is a nice toy, but some can get chattery over rough pavement and never seem to settle into the right amount of control. The T6鈥檚 chassis was comfortably soft on the highway, but firm enough in the twisties. For most drivers, I think it is a better choice. Safety is enhanced by four-wheel antilock disc brakes, electronic traction control, and stability control. Hydraulic Brake Assist applies more pressure faster when emergency braking is detected while brake pressure control modulates stopping in curves to keep the car stable.

Volvos are not high-powered AMG-modified Mercedes nor brash American V-Series Cadillacs. Volvos are first, and above all, Swedish luxurymobiles. They last forever, excel at safety, and drive like the fine European cars they are. The carry themselves with a reserved confidence that says, 鈥淚 can get the job done, and better than most. But, there鈥檚 no reason to brag. All is good.鈥

V8 models are a blast to drive, but maybe a little too much for some. For them, the T6 will be just right. Is it better than the V8? Well, that鈥檚 like deciding between a juicy steak and grilled salmon. They are very different, but is one better? Drive what you like and be happy. And safe. Always safe. With an as-tested price of $42,045, competition includes the Mercedes E Class, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti M35, and Buick Lucerne Super.

Here is a UK link: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?48040-S80-V8-or-S80-T6-which-do-you-think-is-better

http://www.netcarshow.com/volvo/2006-s80/
I couldn't have said ANY of this any better... very detailed and accurate write-up. We bought a used 2010 S80 T6 with 94K miles back in March of 2015... and I couldn't love the car any more. I held out to find one with Dynaudio, and that to me, was worth waiting for. The car has great pick-up, handles like a 'sports car' (again, to me), gets great gas mileage (average ~25mpg every tank, with 87) and is just a great car to drive. I smile every time I get in it.

Check out a thread I started a while back for the S80s called 'Pros and Cons'... there's some great info in that one as well to help you. Like CrossingCountries said, get in a few and drive them. You'll make the right decision.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide on!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No clue what a curbstoner is. And I just realized I have on clue what the prices range on second hand volvos in the states so, err, I'll refrain from even speculating on that. Assuming they're both similarly equipped and cost roughly the same, the T6 does sound like a bit of a better buy if it's a one owner car. That in combination with the car being two model years newer sounds like it should hopefully not be troublesome. And yes, a V8's a V8 and to a lot of people it's the best engine put in a Volvo but a T6 will still be a huge leap from the 2.5 AWD (2.5T?) you mentioned in your signature. It's another cylinder and 70-80 more hp.

Though I should also point out that whereas the xenons are costly to swap the bulbs it's definitely worth it. I think their lifetime is substantially longer than regular halogens anyway so I'm not sure it adds up to any additional costs in the long run anyway. I think the bulb itself is around $120 (a tad over 1000 SEK) compared to a set of two halogens which is what, $40 for a set of nightbreakers?
Curbstoner is a dealer who passes himself off as a non dealer.

Its not the bulbs, its the foggy plastic. The whole assembly has to be replaced. That's why it was about two grand for the 540i

I couldn't have said ANY of this any better... very detailed and accurate write-up. We bought a used 2010 S80 T6 with 94K miles back in March of 2015... and I couldn't love the car any more. I held out to find one with Dynaudio, and that to me, was worth waiting for. The car has great pick-up, handles like a 'sports car' (again, to me), gets great gas mileage (average ~25mpg every tank, with 87) and is just a great car to drive. I smile every time I get in it.

Check out a thread I started a while back for the S80s called 'Pros and Cons'... there's some great info in that one as well to help you. Like CrossingCountries said, get in a few and drive them. You'll make the right decision.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide on!
Will look for that thread. Would you mind PMing me what you paid, and whether it was from a dealer or private party. I spoke to the seller of the 09 T6 and the car sounds right. We will meet Sunday. I took tomorrow - Friday off and will go to the Ford dealer with the 08 S60 2.5T AWD. I like that drivetrain because I am familiar with it.

Registered
If you're coming from a 540i and looking for something that will put a smile on your face, take the T6 for a test drive. Then find yourself a V8, sit in it note the nicely appointed yet utilitarian interior, leave the door open and push the start button. Notice the smile that rumble puts on your face and the warm fuzzy feeling you get, simply by pushing that little button. Roll the windows down put the 4C suspension in sport and take it for a test drive. I'd wager a Jackson you'll be going home in the V8.

Over the years we've had a S40, XC90 T6 (2.9T twin turbo), S80 2.5T and now have an S80 with the V8. It has been such a great car we just recently picked up an 08 XC90 V8 Sport.

When the 2.5T started getting close to 200K miles we began to look for a new car. We were looking for a sedan class and Volvo had done away with the 2.5T in the S80. We had taken a beating on the XC90 due to the transmission issues, Google searches of Volvo V8 left me with a tremendous amount of concern (counterbalance bearing failure) and the newer inline 5 and 6es seemed to sacrifice performance without gains in fuel economy or reliability. We were looking at various other cookie cutter sedan class model. There was a used Volvo V8 in that was sitting at a Lexus dealer in Southeast Florida. I kept coming across it, the price kept dropping and they were begging for somebody to come and take it off their hands. My son had a hockey tournament down that way. On a whim between games, we went to take it for a test drive. As soon as the salesman hit the start button I was hooked, the test drive had me hook, line & sinker. But I had lingering concerns about the V8. Over the next few weeks I read every thread related to the P3 S80 and the XC90 V8 here at Swedespeed. By the time I had finished I was quite comfortable with purchasing the vehicle. Made a low offer at the end of the month, figured we'd bicker, told him if they took my offer I'd fly in tomorrow. They called back 15 minutes later, I smiled the whole drive back to Tampa. Any lingering concern I might have had about the V8 was eased by the fact that the money we had saved on a comparable model from another manufacturer would easily cover any major/catastrophic failure.

Like I said we loved it so much we now own a V8 XC90 Sport to go along with it.

SPEND A WEEK HERE AND READ ANYTHING REMOTELY RELEVANT IN THE 07-CURRENT S80 AND XC90 FORUMS.

It really is a remarkable, reliable, sporty, beastly and yet subdued sedan. The pride and passion owners feel for this car comes through in the forums.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're coming from a 540i and looking for something that will put a smile on your face, take the T6 for a test drive. Then find yourself a V8, sit in it note the nicely appointed yet utilitarian interior, leave the door open and push the start button. Notice the smile that rumble puts on your face and the warm fuzzy feeling you get, simply by pushing that little button. Roll the windows down put the 4C suspension in sport and take it for a test drive. I'd wager a Jackson you'll be going home in the V8.

Over the years we've had a S40, XC90 T6 (2.9T twin turbo), S80 2.5T and now have an S80 with the V8. It has been such a great car we just recently picked up an 08 XC90 V8 Sport.

When the 2.5T started getting close to 200K miles we began to look for a new car. We were looking for a sedan class and Volvo had done away with the 2.5T in the S80. We had taken a beating on the XC90 due to the transmission issues, Google searches of Volvo V8 left me with a tremendous amount of concern (counterbalance bearing failure) and the newer inline 5 and 6es seemed to sacrifice performance without gains in fuel economy or reliability. We were looking at various other cookie cutter sedan class model. There was a used Volvo V8 in that was sitting at a Lexus dealer in Southeast Florida. I kept coming across it, the price kept dropping and they were begging for somebody to come and take it off their hands. My son had a hockey tournament down that way. On a whim between games, we went to take it for a test drive. As soon as the salesman hit the start button I was hooked, the test drive had me hook, line & sinker. But I had lingering concerns about the V8. Over the next few weeks I read every thread related to the P3 S80 and the XC90 V8 here at Swedespeed. By the time I had finished I was quite comfortable with purchasing the vehicle. Made a low offer at the end of the month, figured we'd bicker, told him if they took my offer I'd fly in tomorrow. They called back 15 minutes later, I smiled the whole drive back to Tampa. Any lingering concern I might have had about the V8 was eased by the fact that the money we had saved on a comparable model from another manufacturer would easily cover any major/catastrophic failure.

Like I said we loved it so much we now own a V8 XC90 Sport to go along with it.

SPEND A WEEK HERE AND READ ANYTHING REMOTELY RELEVANT IN THE 07-CURRENT S80 AND XC90 FORUMS.

It really is a remarkable, reliable, sporty, beastly and yet subdued sedan. The pride and passion owners feel for this car comes through in the forums.
I come from sea level, and am now at altitude. I got rid of my normally aspirated 944S2 because it felt like it was running on 3 instead of 4 cylinders due to altitude. Been on the XC90 forums for a few years. That's why the BMW will get replaced with a Volvo. She likes the Volvo interior and wants an automatic, and I like staying married otherwise I would have repaired the 540 instead of selling it to my buddy for $380

Registered
Ha! curbstoner, never heard that one before.

Just back from some spirited driving in the beautiful fall weather, and as if I couldn't be any more in love with my car, I read hunterphfr's rousing endorsement, and heck, I'm excited all over again - and I already think my car is special! :)

Also hear at the gas station the usual, "wait, volvo makes a v8?" You will hear that a lot if you get one.

Which brings me back to why buying a used s80 v8 is such a bargain. No one knows about this car, thus there is no demand! It's considered a hard car to sell (and why you are in a good position to negotiate price), but that's only because there is such a small group of super smartypants that understand and appreciate it (I kid!). But, really, I do think it's a gem of a car and largely undiscovered.

Good luck!

Registered
The 2009 T6 from the original owner with maintenance records is definitely the way I would go! Performance-wise, there isn't a big difference between the T6 and V8. The V8 has an additional 30hp and 30lb-ft of torque, but the T6 has max torque available from 1500-4800rpm while the V8 hits it's torque peak at 3950rpm. 0-60 times are 6.0 and 6.5 seconds, per Volvo, but some would argue those are conservative figures. The T6 also gets 2mpg better fuel economy on the highway and 1mpg in the city.

As for price, a 2009 T6 with 75k and in Good to Very Good Condition is actually worth $11,700 to $12,450 according to KBB.com. That doesn't account for any options. Given the car's one-owner status and records, I would say that $11-$11.5 is a very fair price.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 2009 T6 from the original owner with maintenance records is definitely the way I would go! Performance-wise, there isn't a big difference between the T6 and V8. The V8 has an additional 30hp and 30lb-ft of torque, but the T6 has max torque available from 1500-4800rpm while the V8 hits it's torque peak at 3950rpm. 0-60 times are 6.0 and 6.5 seconds, per Volvo, but some would argue those are conservative figures. The T6 also gets 2mpg better fuel economy on the highway and 1mpg in the city.

As for price, a 2009 T6 with 75k and in Good to Very Good Condition is actually worth $11,700 to $12,450 according to KBB.com. That doesn't account for any options. Given the car's one-owner status and records, I would say that $11-$11.5 is a very fair price.
He bought it as a CPO which I am not letting affect the value since they supposedly do a thorough once over. Getting ready for tires, I ran KBB and the others. you and I are in the same ballpark. If it looks right on Sunday Ill probably pull the trigger unless something comes up in between. The BMW was five minutes from me and the deal was made over breakfast without seeing the car. This one is also five minutes away, decent color, so I might as well just do it.

FYI I had a centerbury green 93 Legend Coupe that we sold in 02 for a sedan to fit a baby seat. Very few coupes that color. It replaced the Milano red 92 coupe I had that was stolen.

Registered
He bought it as a CPO which I am not letting affect the value since they supposedly do a thorough once over. Getting ready for tires, I ran KBB and the others. you and I are in the same ballpark. If it looks right on Sunday Ill probably pull the trigger unless something comes up in between. The BMW was five minutes from me and the deal was made over breakfast without seeing the car. This one is also five minutes away, decent color, so I might as well just do it.

FYI I had a centerbury green 93 Legend Coupe that we sold in 02 for a sedan to fit a baby seat. Very few coupes that color. It replaced the Milano red 92 coupe I had that was stolen.
What color is the S80 (sorry if you mentioned previously and I missed it)?

I think that '93 was the only year that Canterbury Green was offered on the Legend Coupe. It was available on the Sedan from '93 to '95, but wasn't a very common color. The dark green option (Geneva Green Pearl in '93 and Sherwood Green Pearl in '94-'95) was more much more common. I actually chose the Canterbury Green because it and Desert Mist Metallic were the only '95 Legend GS colors that came with Taupe Leather. All the others had Ivory interior and I didn't care for it. Milano Red is one of those 'timeless' Honda colors that will always look good on almost anything.

Brief backstory, since you are/were a fellow Legend-lover-

It took me several years of searching to find my 鈥95 GS. I had a 鈥94 Legend L 4-door (Frost White with Taupe 'Moquette' fabric, 5-speed manual) that was totaled back in 2001. Actually, 鈥榯otaled鈥 doesn鈥檛 begin to describe- it was a miracle that I wasn鈥檛 killed. I was hit in the passenger side by a huge power company bucket truck at an intersection. The passenger side door had my leg pinned on the driver鈥檚 side of the car! The impact buckled the roof and floorpan and the sunroof and rearview mirror showered me in glass. They had to cut the A-pillar and roll back the roof just to begin freeing my leg. It was like that Subaru commercial a while back, when everyone sees a horribly destroyed (Outback, I think) and someone else says 鈥淭hey lived!鈥 I鈥檓 confident that my Legend saved my life and I adored that car.

I was in the hospital for four days, had a few broken bones and 38 staples in my head (ouch!) but I lived!

I started searching for a Legend to replace it, but couldn鈥檛 find a suitable 鈥94 or 鈥95 sedan in any trim level with a manual transmission. I leased a 2002 3.2 TL Type-S when they were introduced, but it was one of the many Honda/Acura vehicles from the early 00s to suffer multiple transmission faillures. It would have been a great car if not for the transmission replacement at 11k, 19k and (if I hadn't convinced them to terminate the lease eight months early) it was about to need yet another at 30k.

I finally found my Legend in 2007, in great mechanical condition but with 195k miles on it. The interior was in very good shape except for the carpet, which I replaced immediately. But the leather seats were in pristine condition as was the dash and door panels. The paint hadn't aged nearly as well after 12 years. Luckily, my brother-in-law is the best Honda/Acura paint guy around and for $1800, he made it look better than it did the day it rolled off the assembly line! It's only on the 2nd clutch, but will need replacing soon, and the engine is untouched and doesn't burn/use any oil. The valves are a little loud on cold starts, but it could go another 50k without a valve job. I plan to keep it forever.

Registered
A guy pulling a trailer took out the side of my '99 E39 540i manual (his ins totaled it, my buddy is buying and fixing it). She who must be obeyed "would appreciate it if" I replaced it with an automatic sedan. Since an automatic 5 series is about as much fun as an automatic Volvo I am looking at a few sedans for sale locally with about the same miles (mine had 79K) and a similar stack of records.

There is a T6 near me with dealer records. What are the weak points of the car? Is there a FAQ somewhere with the pros and cons of the car, what to expect to have to do in the next say 40k miles (may have a 100 mile daily commute in near future)? For example there is a S60 near me with the 2.5 and 105K miles. I know the timing belt service is due soon, and I have the receipts from her XC90 so I know what it will run. I don't know about the S80 drivetrain.

Also, what's a clean 09 with 75k going for these days? I figure about 9-11k.

There are a few 07 V8s around too. What are the V8 weaknesses?

TIA
Tom

Lots of good info here already... just want to mention that the 2011 T6 and newer models get more power and MPG than the 08-10 T6 models.
The early T6 will feel quick but will still be noticeably slower than the V8. The 2011+ T6 will be about the same.
2011+ models have quicker/snappy transmission shifting - better programming.
The V8 models get bigger front brakes, but that's a pretty easy mod to the other models if you desire.
V8 has great exhaust noise from the factory, T6 sounds like nothing (but that too is easy to fix).
Overall I prefer the 2011 T6 drivetrain we have to our V8. But only barely.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sold the legend in 02 to a co worker with about 78k miles on it to buy a four door (baby seat wouldn't fit in the back). a few years later he called me to say it just hit 200k, and he bought an infinity coupe to add to this stable. I told him I would be interested in the legend as an extra car, and asked how much? The conversation went like this:
How much did you charge me?
$7500 I think.
That's a good number, $7500.
Yeah but you put 125k on it and wore out the seat.
Yeah, but I proved to you it is a solid reliable car.
F.U.
I thought you would say that....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked out a S60 2.5 AWD with 75k miles at a Ford dealer. KBB says a dealer should get 9k, they wanted 12k. OK. Maybe it would be worth it if it had service records - no records of even a single oil change. It had two car seats at one time, and the indentations are clearly visible on the back seats. brake rotors have a big lip on them, headlights are shiny because they have wax on them. I could feel the roughness. Then there was the compound in the crevices, but the car still had some scratches. When I told the salesman KBB was 9k he asked if I would buy it should the manager OK that price. I showed him some math and said more like $7,500. He told me the manager would laugh at him if he brought that offer in. So I walked with him to the manager and showed him my math. He said I was offering wholesale. I said with no records and in need of a brake job, tune up, etc. Wholesale is generous. Then I laughed and thanked him for his time and left.

I then went to one of the Volvo dealers and looked at a 07 V8 with 75k in green/beige. That car was right, but I don't like the light interior. No sport package, and it was just a nice sedan IMHO and not worth 15.7. I'm meeting the seller of the 09 T6 with 73k tomorrow. If that checks out - meets my standards I will see if we have a meeting of the minds on the price. It needs tires which puts me closer to10 than 14. We'll see. I'm in no rush, I have two other cars besides the 540 which I sold to a buddy yesterday for the "salvage" buyback.

Registered
I'm curious, does the turbocharger on the T6 tend to be reliable? I've heard that they are virtually trouble-free and last the life of the engine in most cases. Is that true?

Also, most turbocharged engines come with a strong recommendation to allow the engine to idle for a few minutes after hard driving (to allow the turbo to cool down). Does Volvo recommend this? I've always wondered if many people actually do this (or even know to do it) anyway?

Registered
I have had my '09 t6 since March, and put 10,000 miles on it.has 101,000 now. Very nice ride, uses no oil, occasionally get a funky transmission shift. Does the cpo warranty transfer? If so, I think 10k- 11k is a very attractive price.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CPO expired fur to time. I'm on my own. 11 seems right to me with need for tires. Not sure I'm good at 12 or more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts