SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, need to share an issue I've been trying to diagnose for a little while.

I have this noise at part throttle, in the 1,500 - 2,500 rpm range. If I floor it, or take my foot off the gas, it stops.

After searching a lot, I originally thought it was the wastegate rattling, but after having it checked by the dealer, it turns out that's not the issue.

So tonight I went out and played with a mic again. I placed it near the small hole on the side of the airbox and the noise was MUCH louder (from the mic). I then removed the top of the airbox and recorded the clip below:

The tech at my dealer says this sound is common on the T6 engine. They tried another V60, and apparently it makes a similar noise.

The sound recorded in this clip is from a mic placed right next to the airbox, so obviously the sound in the car is not that agressive, but you get the idea by comparing with the engine noise.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Luke, I am your father!

Sorry, couldn't resist with the StarWars reference. 'tis that week. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similar noise from the flex air intake tube between air box and plenum. It was collapsing in on itself. Dealer replaced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2014 T6 - started at about 1/3. Disconnect the flex tube at the air box and see if the sound is still there. It just slips off.
I did disconnect the flex at the airbox, but then the MAF (I think) is not seeing the airflow and the engine stalls.

How did your dealer diagnose this problem?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did disconnect the flex at the airbox, but then the MAF (I think) is not seeing the airflow and the engine stalls.

How did your dealer diagnose this problem?
They discovered the bottom/road facing part of the flex tube had collapsed into center of tube. Just put you hand at the bottom and you will feel it if you have same issue. My engine was not stalling though.

Apparently the flex tube material was too flexible and air suction was pulling it into center- so they put in a replacement part and never occurred again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'll look. The engine only stalls when i disconnect the tube and try to start the engine (the maf is then isolated). So you are referring to the flex just after the airbox, where the filter us? Should it be fully round?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They discovered the bottom/road facing part of the flex tube had collapsed into center of tube. Just put you hand at the bottom and you will feel it if you have same issue. My engine was not stalling though.

Apparently the flex tube material was too flexible and air suction was pulling it into center- so they put in a replacement part and never occurred again.
I checked the flex in the intake pipe, just after the airbox, and I did not see any obvious signs of collapse. I still have the feeling the noise is coming from that pipe. I just can't confirm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, next step is to have a Volvo "expert" take a look at the car and diagnose the sound... Meanwhile, has anyone else experienced something similar to the sound in the video?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have a similar noise. Spoke to my service guy and he too said its common with the T6. Not so much the engine but the AWD
Apparently he said the whirring sound comes from the angle gear and its normal
Had the same sound in our xc90 T6 as well
Do let me know if your dealer says otherwise as I would like to try and get it fixed too

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I too have a similar noise. Spoke to my service guy and he too said its common with the T6. Not so much the engine but the AWD
Apparently he said the whirring sound comes from the angle gear and its normal
Had the same sound in our xc90 T6 as well
Do let me know if your dealer says otherwise as I would like to try and get it fixed too
I think it comes from the intake, not the gears. I placed the mic all around the engine and it gets louder near the intake. If I open the intake box it gets much much louder...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dealer tried another vehicle and said this noise might be normal. Can anyone confirm whether or not you are hearing a similar noise. 1/3 throttle, around 2k - 2.5k rpm.

Thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
Resurrecting this older thread because that's exactly the noise I'm experiencing and that I tried to describe in another thread. OP doensn't seem to be around anymore but I wonder if some can have some more info on this. Will mention this next time I go to the dealer but not ready to waste my time just for this.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So anyone ever experienced this noise or something similar ?
Same as OP's youtube video.

Could this be an intake or boost leak or just normal intake noises like OP's dealer might suggest ?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Went to the dealer this Monday to have this look at and to complain about the rear hatch gas cylinder lack of strength and also about a noise in the steering when changing direction at low speed. The tech made a test drive with me, said that the noise sounded suspicious and he would look at it. But got a phone call later from the manager saying that the noise is normal and that they found it on another T6 they tried... well I'm still not convinced.

Anyway, got the car back with 2 new front struts top plate bearings and spring seats and 2 new gas cylinders for the hatch.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Sounds like suction noise from the turbo which sounds completely normal. Both my moms XC70 and my S60 RD make the same sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
I now recently have this noise on my 2012 XC60 T6 - it's done 120,000km. Did you resolve where it was coming from? It may well be normal by the comments here, but it is a bit odd to just show up.
I would like to know what it was and ideally get rid of it!
Cheers
James

1 - 19 of 19 Posts