SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a non Polestar T6 loaner for a few weeks; thought I'd leave a few comments:

1) The T6 with or without Polestar is a very nice engine and S60 with or without RD is a very nice car.
2) But adding Polestar and RD with Sport Chassis make the S60 an exceptional (almost excellent) car.
3) Additional elements needed to give the car more of a sporting edge:
-Must be in dynamic mode
-Must have traction control turned off
-Must use liberal manual gear selection
4) The car also needs better breathing; it gets way too hot and way too fast...
-Must add a cool air intake system (K&N Filter at a minimum but GruppeM Air Intake better still)
5) Finally, add the Heico exhaust system to top it all off.

With all of these "tweaks", this would be a close approximation to the former S60 Polestar and maybe even a proxy for a real R (except for perhaps the brakes).
Please don't take this as a knock to any of you T8 fans, but the T6 is a very balanced car and properly set up, it is an exceptional car, capable of competing with the Germans. With some brembo brakes, like the original R, it would be truly excellent sedan!

Volvo should make this a model - drop it in right between the RD and the Polestar Engineered -- instant classic! Please also add a temperature gauge in the new R as well; sorely needed as the engine already runs really hot.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Honestly I don't like dynamic mode much, it holds the RPMs wayyyyy too high all the time for any sort of daily driving. For spirited driving sure but it's just uncomfortable to daily in dynamic IMO

But that may be where your "must use liberal manual gear selection" comes in, no paddles on the inscription though :-/

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
You can still manually change the gears with the gear selector, though for the life of me I've never understood why you'd want to. If it doesn't have a clutch then manually changing the gears for "sporty" driving is a waste of effort.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can still manually change the gears with the gear selector, though for the life of me I've never understood why you'd want to. If it doesn't have a clutch then manually changing the gears for "sporty" driving is a waste of effort.
Especially Aisin 8AT isn't the fastest autobox around... But still, it provides some fun for people and thats enough

·
Registered
196 Posts
For those who have Polestar applied to their T6, do you feel it was worth the cost? The HP and torque gains seem minimal to me for the price. I came from a 2002 VW GTI that I chipped. Please feel free to persuade me.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I love the paddle shifters on my P* tuned T6. It is great on twisty roads where I can hold the gear during turns and for engine braking down steep inclined.

The V60 muffler has been removed and replaced with a Flowmaster FlowFx. Butt-o-meter feels the turbo is slightly stronger but it could be nothing.
The muffler itself is 40lb, so the weight reduction may have helped

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the paddle shifters on my P* tuned T6. It is great on twisty roads where I can hold the gear during turns and for engine braking down steep inclined.

The V60 muffler has been removed and replaced with a Flowmaster FlowFx. Butt-o-meter feels the turbo is slightly stronger but it could be nothing.
The muffler itself is 40lb, so the weight reduction may have helped

Didn't know Flowmaster made something specific to a 2019 Volvo; can you supply additional details?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Flowmaster didn't. This is custom-made pipes with the FlowFX ... About $350 including labor
I posted pics in another thread... But here is the cold start exhaust sound. I need to make a WoT pull with a GoPro on the rear bumper

https://youtu.be/A4RCdP17UUk

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
For those who have Polestar applied to their T6, do you feel it was worth the cost? The HP and torque gains seem minimal to me for the price. I came from a 2002 VW GTI that I chipped. Please feel free to persuade me.
It's refundable if you don't like it, they'll put you back to stock. We only ever refunded one car at our shop and that was because we accidentally installed it on the wrong car!

The point isn't about peak HP/Torque it's about the mids... It also affects both on and off throttle response. The seat-o-pants dyno will be more impressed than the printed sheet for sure... but again... it's fully refundable if your pants are too tight. The other factor is it does not affect warranty. You can get an ex loaner car and have 9.5 years unlimited mile warranty all with a tune... that's nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I may have to try it when the funds are available. It's too bad the blue badge was replaced by the new white one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drive the T6 with and without Polestar, back to back, and you will be convinced. It is better balanced, with more mid-range power and ability to put more of the torque to the rear end. And it also sounds nicer; more gritty!. All for about $1,000 and no impact to the warranty. A must-have for a true RD IMHO. Perhaps all mostly subjective, and not evident on paper or a dyno slip. But it makes me smile and no regrets here!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Drive the T6 with and without Polestar, back to back, and you will be convinced. It is better balanced, with more mid-range power and ability to put more of the torque to the rear end. And it also sounds nicer; more gritty!. All for about $1,000 and no impact to the warranty. A must-have for a true RD IMHO. Perhaps all mostly subjective, and not evident on paper or a dyno slip. But it makes me smile and no regrets here!
Totally agree with @VolvoCPA . The car has a higher fun-factor with the tune

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Polestar really just depends on what you want out of it. If you want a sports sedan and that's a priority, then yes absolutely get it. If you want a luxury sedan that just so happens to also be pretty quick, then the polestar tune isn't really worth it as you'll probably be leaving it in comfort mode anyways.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Interestingly enough on the Volvo Canada website, it doesn't like a Polestar Optimization for the V60 T6 only the T8 and T5.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you want a luxury sedan that just so happens to also be pretty quick, then the polestar tune isn't really worth it as you'll probably be leaving it in comfort mode anyways.
Not quite sure I agree with this statement. I have driven the vehicle many times since I work at a dealership, and yes, the standard T6 is more than quick enough, but the Polestar (IMO) Optimization gives the car a much more effortless feel in Comfort mode, all while preserving smoothness.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As others stated above Polestar well worth it, pulls strong every where, I drove my car for a few hours without the tune, FDC didn't get to it before I picked up, then they put tune on while I had lunch and the factory tour. Car is quicker, more responsive and felt more balanced with the tune.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had a non Polestar T6 loaner for a few weeks; thought I'd leave a few comments:

1) The T6 with or without Polestar is a very nice engine and S60 with or without RD is a very nice car.
2) But adding Polestar and RD with Sport Chassis make the S60 an exceptional (almost excellent) car.
3) Additional elements needed to give the car more of a sporting edge:
-Must be in dynamic mode
-Must have traction control turned off
-Must use liberal manual gear selection
4) The car also needs better breathing; it gets way too hot and way too fast...
-Must add a cool air intake system (K&N Filter at a minimum but GruppeM Air Intake better still)
5) Finally, add the Heico exhaust system to top it all off.

With all of these "tweaks", this would be a close approximation to the former S60 Polestar and maybe even a proxy for a real R (except for perhaps the brakes).
Please don't take this as a knock to any of you T8 fans, but the T6 is a very balanced car and properly set up, it is an exceptional car, capable of competing with the Germans. With some brembo brakes, like the original R, it would be truly excellent sedan!

Volvo should make this a model - drop it in right between the RD and the Polestar Engineered -- instant classic! Please also add a temperature gauge in the new R as well; sorely needed as the engine already runs really hot.
great impression on a great car, you’re absolutely right on point #2, with polestar & sport chassis this car is awesome, only if the ride was a little more forgiving it would be perfect, I think the sport chassis adds also to steering feel, specially on polestar mode, on point #3 I agree on dynamic mode only but I find leaving the transmission do it’s thing satisfying enough, I also find the handling excellent without tc off,
You’re absolutely right about a temp gauge in a car like this, I could swear I saw a gauge setup where it shows temp on a non r design car, can’t remember where, if you don’t mind me asking how did you tell engine was running very hot? I drive a t6 polestar sport chassis & really aggressive, hope I’m not over running that engine

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
great impression on a great car, you’re absolutely right on point #2, with polestar & sport chassis this car is awesome, only if the ride was a little more forgiving it would be perfect, I think the sport chassis adds also to steering feel, specially on polestar mode, on point #3 I agree on dynamic mode only but I find leaving the transmission do it’s thing satisfying enough, I also find the handling excellent without tc off,
You’re absolutely right about a temp gauge in a car like this, I could swear I saw a gauge setup where it shows temp on a non r design car, can’t remember where, if you don’t mind me asking how did you tell engine was running very hot? I drive a t6 polestar sport chassis & really aggressive, hope I’m not over running that engine
The T6 Momentum has a temperature gauge oddly but not the T6 RD? I guess when they add a tachometer (not in the Momentum) they delete the temperature gauge; very odd. My water pump failed at one month in and I had no idea it was happening. My car also almost always has the internal fans blowing long after I park it; heat continues to pour out of it including from the tailpipes. I have never had a car that ran so hot; hopefully this is what Volvo intended? It is well over 300hp from only 2.0 liters, so some of the parts are certainly working pretty hard!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The T6 Momentum has a temperature gauge oddly but not the T6 RD? I guess when they add a tachometer (not in the Momentum) they delete the temperature gauge; very odd. My water pump failed at one month in and I had no idea it was happening. My car also almost always has the internal fans blowing long after I park it; heat continues to pour out of it including from the tailpipes. I have never had a car that ran so hot; hopefully this is what Volvo intended? It is well over 300hp from only 2.0 liters, so some of the parts are certainly working pretty hard!
yes, I’ve seen you had a few bad breaks with the car, hopefully after replacing the faulty water pump the car runs a little cooler, amazing that in 2019 a proper sport sedan doesn’t have a temp gauge, I mean we’re not asking for much here, I can understand no oil pressure gauge or turbo boost or oil temp, (had a 87 911 turbo in my youth & it had all that, lol), but all in all a great car nonetheless

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm not sure how you know these things...absent an accurate temp gauge how do you know it runs hot? Sure it's got a turbo and it's a fact that underhood temps will be elevated but we know nothing of cooling capacity, block and head design, radiator specs etc. which dictates cooling capacity. More telling of failing cooling capacity is an oil temp gauge really, oil temp leads the coolant temp in getting out of control under stress. I have only had the fans run once on me after shutting down this past summer. But you figure with a fully electric pump and fan system, its a "luxury" the engineers have to keep running the cooling system engine off to extend the life of the turbo and other components. With mechanical water pumps they had to design the system to deal with a hot shutdown or accept the shortened lifetime of the turbo.

And how did you measure air intake temps? Most OEM air boxes are pretty good at sucking in outside air, ducting is cheap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts