SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 16 S60 RD 4cyl T6 and was wondering what people’s experience was with modifications and tuning? I haven’t seen many mods for the car with this engine or much on tuning other than the Volvo Polestar tune. I know Hilton does tunes but haven’t found too much on reviews for a stage 2 tune.

What have you guys done?

My current setup:
Polestar tune
Custom axle back exhaust
Polestar air filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 16 S60 RD 4cyl T6 and was wondering what people’s experience was with modifications and tuning? I haven’t seen many mods for the car with this engine or much on tuning other than the Volvo Polestar tune. I know Hilton does tunes but haven’t found too much on reviews for a stage 2 tune.

What have you guys done?

My current setup:
Polestar tune
Custom axle back exhaust
Polestar air filter

Intercooler upgrade, downpipe and tune would be a great start and the core of a great modded boosted motor

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Intercooler upgrade, downpipe and tune would be a great start and the core of a great modded boosted motor

Agreed, I have looked at a few places and have not seen a downpipe for this engine. I did find an intercooler at VIVA

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The DO88 intercooler is a must. While it may or may not make more power over stock on a dyno, it will allow you to make your best power more consistently under non ideal conditions such as hot weather, in traffic, or bouncing back quickly after consecutive hard pulls.

There’s at least one very expensive intake option for that motor but I can’t think of it offhand, but perhaps it’s available on the ViVa Performance website which is where most of the current mods for that car can be found. That intake may have been discontinued though. You can also find a Polestar branded panel filter for the factory airbox which might be worth a few hp and better throttle response.

I think KT4 has a downpipe available for that motor but you would be an early adopter since very few people use their P3 downpipes and the only person I can think of had some issues around customer service and then some fitment issues he had to work around.

If there’s a torque mount in the top passenger side front of your engine compartment like on the 3.0T, I highly recommend adding a poly insert from Powerflex (I use the stiffer black “race” version) or getting a whole new aftermarket torque mount from IPD USA with poly bushings at both ends.

You might want to try the TDI Tuning piggyback box which fools the ecu into running more boost and fuel (while thinking it’s running the stock state of tune). Most of us running it on the 3.0T love it, although results seem less consistent with the few people running it on the DriveE motors, possibly because that motor is already more highly stressed or the ECU is more sensitive to/ aware of an outside entity trying to assert control over its parameters. In any case I would only use it if you have access to 93 octane fuel or better. It appears to be perfectly safe, but it needs octane to run at its best. In any case the TDI box is relatively cheap and fully reversible if you don’t like it.

There really isn’t much available for those 4 banger T6 cars, unfortunately. You might have to get creative to add performance thinking of ways to work around any stock shortcomings. I think light wheels to get it off the line quickly, controlling heat, and adding octane, are the tickets to making your car slightly faster. I bet water/ meth injection would have some benefit, especially if you add the TDI box which thrives on octane and cold air.

There is a fair amount you can do to the suspension at least. A lot of people start with a rear sway bar from IPD or Elevate, which they say is a massive improvement over stock. KW V3 coilovers are expensive but fantastic. H&R sport springs are a good budget-friendly alternative if you can pair them with fresh or at least healthy dampers. There are various bracing options for the car, too. I would also recommend the IPD skidplate to protect your oil pan better than the fragile factory fiber one, although they may not have one that fits the DriveE yet.

Hope this helps. Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The DO88 intercooler is a must. While it may or may not make more power over stock on a dyno, it will allow you to make your best power more consistently under non ideal conditions such as hot weather, in traffic, or bouncing back quickly after consecutive hard pulls.

There’s at least one very expensive intake option for that motor but I can’t think of it offhand, but perhaps it’s available on the ViVa Performance website which is where most of the current mods for that car can be found. That intake may have been discontinued though. You can also find a Polestar branded panel filter for the factory airbox which might be worth a few hp and better throttle response.

I think KT4 has a downpipe available for that motor but you would be an early adopter since very few people use their P3 downpipes and the only person I can think of had some issues around customer service and then some fitment issues he had to work around.

If there’s a torque mount in the top passenger side front of your engine compartment like on the 3.0T, I highly recommend adding a poly insert from Powerflex (I use the stiffer black “race” version) or getting a whole new aftermarket torque mount from IPD USA with poly bushings at both ends.

You might want to try the TDI Tuning piggyback box which fools the ecu into running more boost and fuel (while thinking it’s running the stock state of tune). Most of us running it on the 3.0T love it, although results seem less consistent with the few people running it on the DriveE motors, possibly because that motor is already more highly stressed or the ECU is more sensitive to/ aware of an outside entity trying to assert control over its parameters. In any case I would only use it if you have access to 93 octane fuel or better. It appears to be perfectly safe, but it needs octane to run at its best. In any case the TDI box is relatively cheap and fully reversible if you don’t like it.

There really isn’t much available for those 4 banger T6 cars, unfortunately. You might have to get creative to add performance thinking of ways to work around any stock shortcomings. I think light wheels to get it off the line quickly, controlling heat, and adding octane, are the tickets to making your car slightly faster. I bet water/ meth injection would have some benefit, especially if you add the TDI box which thrives on octane and cold air.

There is a fair amount you can do to the suspension at least. A lot of people start with a rear sway bar from IPD or Elevate, which they say is a massive improvement over stock. KW V3 coilovers are expensive but fantastic. H&R sport springs are a good budget-friendly alternative if you can pair them with fresh or at least healthy dampers. There are various bracing options for the car, too. I would also recommend the IPD skidplate to protect your oil pan better than the fragile factory fiber one, although they may not have one that fits the DriveE yet.

Hope this helps. Congrats on your purchase!
Awesome thank you for all the information, I know the intake you are talking about I was thinking about looking and that and the FMIC for Black Friday sales. I have the Polestar drop in filter at the moment. The car is a pretty good setup with the engine.

I am struggling on ideas for wheels to shave weight. I did shave a decent amount off the back by changing the muffler and noticed it

·
Registered
188 Posts
ERST and GruppeM make some stuff for the P3 Drive-E T6, but be prepared for some sticker shock. (ViVA carries the GruppeM ram intake and ERST has worked directly with customers to ship from Japan.)

The IPD skidplate does fit, but the cutouts are made for the 6-cyl motor, so you'll still need to remove it to do an oil change. I am considering going with the factory "Protective Plate, Beneath The Engine" (P/N 31316517 although dealer is still trying to ID exactly which plate is best for the T6 Drive-E).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the sticker price will be high, I don’t foresee a large market call for part like if this was a Focus ST.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I know the sticker price will be high, I don’t foresee a large market call for part like if this was a Focus ST.

Pricing of speed parts for this platform is high and availability of choices is low because it’s a semi-upmarket car with very few enthusiasts buying these cars, and of those few, an even smaller number actually buying modification parts, and those who do are often willing to pay a fortune when they do. There isn’t much incentive for the aftermarket to develop and manufacture parts that might not sell,, and the ones that do sell need to be expensive to cover overhead.

It’ll be interesting to see if demand for aftermarket parts increases or decreases as these cars move to different demographics, either people with less money or more motivation to modify, or both, once these P3 cars end up in the hands of 2nd, 3rd and 4th owners a few years from now. I suspect a lot of S60R owners will come to these cars once their Rs are all used up and P3s depreciate sufficiently that they’ll be within reach of more enthusiasts. Hopefully a lot of new blood coming to the used market will create a big jump in demand for cheap speed parts able to be sold in enough volume to bring the cost down.

These cars need more user-friendly ecu tuning options, too, because the stock ecus don’t like to make power with aftermarket hardware, and the current tuners are either too expensive, too sketchy, relatively unknown, or have minimal public presence and info out in the open, cooling demand significantly on all accounts. And who wants to spend thousands on hardware mods that don’t make meaningful power? I mean, a few of us, I guess, lol. But more people would buy those mods if there was software that made better use of those mods and if they had the web presence needed to convince people of their efficacy.

Imagine if someone came out with a Hilton level of tuning at a TDI price, with a very user friendly setup process and an appealing and active web presence? People would be all over that ish.

·
Registered
868 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I think another reason you don't see many tuning products for the turbo/supercharged 2.0 engines is because 300 horsepower out of a 2.0 liter is already a lot and there aren't many ways to boost that while also keeping the car reliable. Look at the reviews of the Polestar engine which makes 181 horsepower per liter and they all mention how that is some remarkable engineering. You aren't going to replicate that with some bolt-ons and a chip.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is just my opinion, but I think another reason you don't see many tuning products for the turbo/supercharged 2.0 engines is because 300 horsepower out of a 2.0 liter is already a lot and there aren't many ways to boost that while also keeping the car reliable. Look at the reviews of the Polestar engine which makes 181 horsepower per liter and they all mention how that is some remarkable engineering. You aren't going to replicate that with some bolt-ons and a chip.
True, that’s why I was curious what people have done. This platform with the dual induction is intriguing to me and I want to see what’s out there. Even with no tune a FMIC would help any turbocharged car.the air intake just looks cool Hahahaha

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Imagine if someone came out with a Hilton level of tuning at a TDI price, with a very user friendly setup process and an appealing and active web presence? People would be all over that ish.
That would be nice or a Cobb access port setup. Also Halidax tuning like they have for the Golf R could be interesting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts