SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2012 T6 last week, loving it! I have noticed something peculiar, when I shift from Auto to manual shifting, the throttle response seems to change significantly (for the better!). Has anyone else noticed this huge difference in drive-ability? I traded in a 2007 V70 2.5T with the same kind of auto/manual transmission, and never noticed a big difference in that car.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Are you seeing this just when you start out? I wonder if auto mode starts in second, but manual in first. I'll have to try it out again (probably tried it once and haven't bothered since). I am hoping (fingers crossed) we get the "S"port mode in a future software update (like some of the European cars).

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I just picked up my 2012 T6 last week, loving it! I have noticed something peculiar, when I shift from Auto to manual shifting, the throttle response seems to change significantly (for the better!). Has anyone else noticed this huge difference in drive-ability? I traded in a 2007 V70 2.5T with the same kind of auto/manual transmission, and never noticed a big difference in that car.

Standard with all late production MY11 XC60 T6s and, of course, MY12s. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you seeing this just when you start out? I wonder if auto mode starts in second, but manual in first. I'll have to try it out again (probably tried it once and haven't bothered since). I am hoping (fingers crossed) we get the "S"port mode in a future software update (like some of the European cars).
No, it's in all gears...if I change from Auto to Man regardless of what gear I am in, there is an instant "increase" in performance. I first noticed it while switching over to Man while cruising along in 5th/6th. Is this some kind of "Sport" mode that isn't detailed in the specs/manual?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think this is actually a characteristic of "Sport" mode. Sounds like Volvo has some of the sport mode programming in our "M"anual mode already...perhaps everything except for the automatic shifting part.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
No, it's in all gears...if I change from Auto to Man regardless of what gear I am in, there is an instant "increase" in performance. I first noticed it while switching over to Man while cruising along in 5th/6th. Is this some kind of "Sport" mode that isn't detailed in the specs/manual?
Sounds like the throttle is being remapped. In the S60, when you push the transmission over
to the right (manual mode position) you go into Sport mode where the car still does all the shifting.
The car will jump ahead just a bit if you do this while at a steady cruise. That is because
the throttle is remapped to be more aggressive and your current throttle position is now changed to give
it more fuel (or more correctly, request more power at the same throttle position). With the remapped throttle,
light movements of the gas pedal result in more acceleration compared to the non-sport mode. It makes
the engine feel more responsive (although that is not really the case, you could get the same thing by
just pushing the throttle down farther).

While it is fun, I wonder how this would help you drive a technically challenging road course where
I would think a more linear throttle response would give the driver more fine control. I'd prefer sport
mode change the shift points (upshift later, downshift sooner, hold a gear in a turn) and leave the throttle
mapping alone so small throttle changes don't so easily change the balance of the car.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I think this is actually a characteristic of "Sport" mode. Sounds like Volvo has some of the sport mode programming in our "M"anual mode already...perhaps everything except for the automatic shifting part.
Correct.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I notice a big difference in my 2010 T6, so much that I'd say I drive 65% in manual, 35% in auto now. 1>2 and maybe 2>3 feel better in auto. Taking a slow right feels better going 3>2 (or 4>3) as you exit the turn. Whenever I'm on a highway, I'm always in manual. Dropping into 5th and feathering just enough throttle needed to pass someone feels so much better then pushing the accelerator down enough to force a gear change. Grecian, I'd be super grateful to know some more details about what characteristics change when switching into manual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think that changing the DTCS to Sport has a similar effect. It too seems to switch the computer to a more aggressive throttle mapping and a more aggressive shift strategy (assuming the shifting is left on full auto). DTSC Sport + Manu-matic shifting = much different feel to the car!

For me, this has been one of the most pleasant surprises with the XC60. It is happy being driven as a sedate luxury ride, but when prodded, can be satisfyingly "driven with purpose".

-blankman (3.2 AWD)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts