SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Car was in for service and I noted that the start stop function continues not to work well despite software updates. They said the main battery was testing as "weak" even though car starts great and otherwise is ok.

They wanted $460 for a new battery and install! I have done batteries on other cars and NEVER pay that much for a battery.
They said I can get a battery elsewhere but the car still requires them to do a battery reset.

This seems pretty crazy for a maintenance item which should be simple.
For now I am not replacing the battery until I learn more.

Any experiences out there?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Are you out of warranty? I would guess it should be covered under a general factory warranty (4y /50kmiles) or CPO.

Usually, in the fall Volvo run a good promo on batteries as a winter prep. I used twice with two diff cars and the final price was close enough to get to AutoZone and replace it myself.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes. Discussed on a couple of other SPA threads. Volvo (and other manufacturers) are over engineering their cars so that even basic maintenance cannot be easily done by the owner anymore. Brake pads that need the automatic brake to be screwed back is another example (although the brakes just need a 9v battery to be used as a work around) . In this case the car/battery are calibrated thru software thus ensuring an expensive trip to the dealer. I think others have replaced the battery the old way without obvious negative impacts but it remains to be seen if this approach affects the long term durabilkty of the battery because the calibration senses the capacity/state of the battery and adjusts the charging algorithm to suit. Some of the techs on here will likely chime in that this isn't Volvo/dealer exploiting customers but most of us customers will disagree. It probably wouldnt have been hard for Volvo to add a battery calibrate option in Sensus but that would reduce profit...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
Are you out of warranty? I would guess it should be covered under a general factory warranty (4y /50kmiles) or CPO.

Usually, in the fall Volvo run a good promo on batteries as a winter prep. I used twice with two diff cars and the final price was close enough to get to AutoZone and replace it myself.
It is not covered by the CPO warranty

·
Registered
400 Posts
I wouldn't bother replacing the battery if your only problem is temperamental start/stop functionality. Even with a new battery and up to date software, start/stop doesn't work very well on this vehicle. You can read plenty about this in other threads, but the main issues with start/stop on the T6 XC90 are:

-Both batteries need to be fully charged for start/stop to work.
-The alternator is unable to keep up with the battery drain from frequent restarting, so start/stop only works a few times in city driving before it becomes disabled due to low battery charge and requires a long drive or external charging to recover.
-The car rapidly drains the main battery even with the car parked and engine off.

There are about twenty other conditions for start/stop that will give your dealer all the excuses they need to declare that your system is working within specifications, though we all have enough experience with start/stop in other vehicles to know that Volvo's implementation in the XC90 is a train wreck.

Start/stop works perfectly in my Audi, but I've given up on the XC90. I charge all of my vehicle batteries with an external charger monthly, and this does cause the XC90's start/stop to work fine for a day or two. When my XC90 main battery finally exhibits signs of failure other than start/stop (such as failure to start vehicle using ignition switch) I plan to replace it with the largest capacity Odyssey AGM battery I can fit and will pay my Volvo dealer to reset the computer. I don't know if an Odyssey battery would perform better than the OEM battery, but I have had good luck with Odyssey in two other vehicles and it couldn't get much worse than Volvo's OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
12 volt batteries either use traditional lead plates or the newer glass mat type of plate. The mesh type hold up better in situations where there is a lot of vibration and heat (think SUV). Odyssey batteries use the newer mesh type of plate. Volvo needs to reset the battery module so that the correct amount of charging takes place. I really don't see this as an attempt to punish the customer. This is just the result of technology moving forward. Things are more complex today then ever before. Not everything is a conspiracy as some might believe. The earth is not flat, Man did walk on the moon...….

Exide® - Marathon Max™ AGM Battery around $200

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi,
Car was in for service and I noted that the start stop function continues not to work well despite software updates. They said the main battery was testing as "weak" even though car starts great and otherwise is ok.

They wanted $460 for a new battery and install! I have done batteries on other cars and NEVER pay that much for a battery.
They said I can get a battery elsewhere but the car still requires them to do a battery reset.

This seems pretty crazy for a maintenance item which should be simple.
For now I am not replacing the battery until I learn more.

Any experiences out there?
I had to have both batteries replaced, and that was the quote for both, however it was under warranty still, to my surprise. It wouldn't hurt to check with the service dept. If you start to get a warning message (it pops up on the driver display and is quick to disappear) that Auto Start/Stop is disabled you only have about a week left before the car will no longer start at all.

I took my XC90 in a couple of days after the messages started to appear and the dealership was waiting on batteries as the shipment was late so I took it home. The dealership and I felt it would make it a week or two, I had to take it back two days later because it was getting hard to start and I was starting to loose some functions

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
12 volt batteries either use traditional lead plates or the newer glass mat type of plate. The mesh type hold up better in situations where there is a lot of vibration and heat (think SUV). Odyssey batteries use the newer mesh type of plate. Volvo needs to reset the battery module so that the correct amount of charging takes place. I really don't see this as an attempt to punish the customer. This is just the result of technology moving forward. Things are more complex today then ever before. Not everything is a conspiracy as some might believe. The earth is not flat, Man did walk on the moon...….

Exide - Marathon Max AGM Battery around $200
They should provide a menu in Sensus to reset the battery monitor by savvy user.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
They should provide a menu in Sensus to reset the battery monitor by savvy user.

It's a little bit more complicated than pressing a reset button. That computers need to be told about the capabilities of the battery so it doesn't overcharge or undercharge it, among other things. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't get reset, but it will reduce the life of the battery.

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's a little bit more complicated than pressing a reset button. That computers need to be told about the capabilities of the battery so it doesn't overcharge or undercharge it, among other things. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't get reset, but it will reduce the life of the battery.
^^ This

Vehicle must be connected to VIDA and have the BMS system reset. There is actually two separate things that must be reset with VIDA with a battery replacement otherwise erroneous messages will appear and the car will never know the battery was replaced.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
^^ This

Vehicle must be connected to VIDA and have the BMS system reset. There is actually two separate things that must be reset with VIDA with a battery replacement otherwise erroneous messages will appear and the car will never know the battery was replaced.
Sensus should be able to be programmed to talk to internal modules through FlexRay or OBDII or whatever, like it can let you start recalibrating tire pressure, not a technical problem. And it can let user input battery capacity, also not a problem. They don't want to enable this, is the problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can DIY it, but you'll need an active VIDA subscription to reset and re-calibrate the BMS system. As I've mentioned before, between start/stop and the very mild re-gen/alternator management that goes on in all SPA cars, the car needs to accurately estimate charge levels in both the "main battery" and the "support battery".

Also, start stop does not "drain" the main battery while the engine is off. It does however work the main battery harder than a car without S/S, as it uses the main battery to drive the starter for each S/S cycle. That's where the increased wear comes from. Oh, and all Volvo batteries have been AGM for a while now.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
If you don't reset the BMS the new battery will be done in 2 years. See it happen a lot with ppl who go do one at Autozone or some 3rd party.

I see lawsuits over this in the future.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Haven't seen it on a SPA yet but I've seen plenty of P3s come back 6 months to two years after the battery was replaced elsewhere complaining of a low battery warning. A quick check to see when the BMS was last reset is all I need. Charge it up, reset the BMS and test the alternator. 1 hour labor easily eliminates whatever savings there were from going elsewhere.

I'm sure I'll see the SPA ones come in the same way as they come off warranty.

·
Registered
417 Posts
So still cheaper to buy 2 batteries than going to the dealer..

If you don't reset the BMS the new battery will be done in 2 years. See it happen a lot with ppl who go do one at Autozone or some 3rd party.

I see lawsuits over this in the future.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I would never put anything but OEM in my car because I have seen how crappy aftermarket stuff is and how quick they fail (not just batteries). Last thing I want is a cheap walmart battery dying while I am in the middle of nowhere getting gas or bathroom.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
No, the batteries dont cost that much, you were just getting bent over. Here the batteries from Volvo are much cheaper than the interstate equivalent.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts