SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

T6 - 140k miles. Battery new last year, just a couple months ago the car started to get harder and harder to start. Starter felt very lazy.... I drive the car everyday but only commuting which is 15-20 minutes each way. Eventually is started to blink lights and have no energy to start, but trying again it would eventually crank fast enough for the engine to start.

Got tested at advance Autoparts and their meter says battery is good but low. Alternator is charging fine. Got home and charged the battery. Also cleaned the terminals (they were nasty). That was 3 weeks ago and the car seemed fine up to late last week when I started to feel it week again to start.

I believe there is a parasitic draw on the battery. Any other ideas of what it could be?

As painful as it is to find a parasitic draw, any ideas on where to look first? Car is completely stock.

·
Registered
159 Posts
sat radio module +1. I had that happy experience. requires some form of download at Volvo dealer. Volvo North America reimbursed me for this as it is a well known defect. If not sat radio module entirely possible you have a bad battery. I cheaped out and put in a Walmart battery which kept losing charge. Walmart said good but dealer tested and was no good. Gave back Walmart battery and got Volvo OEM. No problems since.

Best,
Jeff

·
Registered
798 Posts
There is an update for the Sirius radio issue, but such a parasitic draw would not be a new issue with your car.

A 15-20 minute commute may not be enough to recharge the battery unless you’re on the highway. Unfortunately short trips and running errands on city streets won’t do it.

I installed a new Napa Auto battery in my 2008 and it died after 4 months. Napa replaced it no questions asked and the second has lasted over a year so far. So it could just be your battery.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don’t believe it is the Sirius but I will deactivate over the weekend just to make sure.

I have had this car for 4 years and 45k miles, always had the same commuting and this just started happening so I don’t think the short duration is to blame.

Have heard something about the starter relay failing as well and draining the battery.

I hate electrical gremlins but the car has been great otherwise for all the ownership time I have in it so I’m not upset yet. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I think you are by me. I have the jumper from our XC90. If you want PM me, you are welcome to see if it does the trick.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Much appreciated, Tomm! Is it just a plain jumper? I thought so and I was going to just assemble one myself for testing. I might take your offer if it ends up being the culprit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Sent you a PM with where I am. I can put it under the mat for you. If you go by DTC I am a quick detour.

I got a subscription to Sirius, 5 years for $150 for the S80 so I don't think I will ever need the jumper for the S80, and I had to get a Sirius box for theXC90. That was part of the deal when I got the car. She wants her satellite radio, so I don't think it will go back into the XC90. Use it as long as you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
FWIW, the Sirius issue with our /13 S80 manifested itself some 3 years into our ownership of the vehicle. Had not been an issue until then. Hope you get this sorted out.

Best,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Gus
I put it by my front door in a small envelope. When I had the back seats of the S80 folded down I saw the Sirius unit. It is fithe near where the fold is. Much easier to get to than on the 08 XC90 where I had to take off half of the rear interior panels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts