SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I tried to build S60/V60 R-design with Polestar but it doesn't show me Polestar at the end of the build, only R-design.

Also question can be V60 R-design Awd to be Polestar? I know Polestar sits lower than base model, but it's AWD, so can it be lower?

Most case it's hard to lower AWD, like the case with BMW 335 AWD.

Also, Would you think S60 AWD R-design/Polestar vs BMW 335 or S4?
But please, no fighting over, I know it's Volvo forum, just opinion, if someone owned both or one of them

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. R-Design models come equipped with Polestar, you can't opt for or out of it. You may be confusing the R-Design with the actual Polestar models. The R-Design models are largely aesthetic upgrades with a factory tuned Polestar upgrade. The Polestar models (S60/V60) have a variety of different upgrades.

What are you looking for in terms of the comparison? The R-Design isn't as quick as the S4 or 335, but the Polestar is. The R-Design marginally inferior to the two cars in most relevant comparisons, and the Polestar would generally be superior.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think he's getting confused between the s60 r-Design and the s60 Polestar. S60 R-design has a polestar Tune, and slight upgrades to the s60 T6. It has 325 HP and 354 ft-lbs However, the s60 Polestar (made in limited quantities) has a bigger turbo, and some other modifications and upgrades to the R-design. It has 345 HP and 369 ft-lbs. These are essentially two different sub-models of the s60.

Like Volvohutter mentioned, the R-design isn't as fast as the s4 or 335. and yes i believe the Polestar is. However the bmw and audi have better and more aftermarket options. And s60 does really need a new interior (IMO). However, Volvo s60 R-Design is much more rare and you would not see it often on the road. I rarely ever really see one. The Polestar is even more rare. It really is up to your opinion as to how you like them. I mean unless you're really going to be racing or doing track days, will speed really matter, again, my opinion.

I have friends with the s4 and the 335. I personally still prefer my s60 r-design, based on the feel of it, and I feel like its more of a sleeper car. I see dozens of 335s and S4s on the road each day, and i know exactly what they are. Volvos on the other hand, more rare. I don't regret my decision (i bought my 2013 S60 R-Design back in May of this year)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh and just realized I didn't answer all of your questions. Yes you can get the V60 R-Design (with a Polestar tune) AND a V60 Polestar.

And yes you can lower the S60 if you want.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This is my question, R-design and Polestar are different things? I don't understand, if I'm buying S/V60 T6 R-design, does it have Polestar already, than it should be quick as BMW or Audi?

I think V60 looks better than S60. I like wagons. But the question is after driving thousands miles on V60, is anyone noticed any noise from the rear of the car?

What are you looking for in terms of the comparison? The R-Design isn't as quick as the S4 or 335, but the Polestar is. The R-Design marginally inferior to the two cars in most relevant comparisons, and the Polestar would generally be superior.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Volvo makes a S60 T6 AWD R-Design which has what is a called a "Polestar" tune, indicating the engine was modified by Polestar (a company that races Volvo cars and now owned by Volvo), this engine tune bumps the horsepower and torque rates from 300/325 to 325/354. Polestar decided to take a S60 and a V60 and tweak them for even better performance, the tweak bumped the power even more to some where around 350/369 (based on what I found online), they upgraded the suspension, transmission was also tweaked for better response and it has 20" wheel as standard. they are 2 cars on different performance levels. While the R-Design is priced around mid $50 loaded, the Polestar is around $61K. That polestar setup is more akin to the M3/RS4. I'll add this video I found for you to watch.

https://youtu.be/zA88iWj2lLk

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is my question, R-design and Polestar are different things? I don't understand, if I'm buying S/V60 T6 R-design, does it have Polestar already, than it should be quick as BMW or Audi?

I think V60 looks better than S60. I like wagons. But the question is after driving thousands miles on V60, is anyone noticed any noise from the rear of the car?
Yes, they are different trim levels. The confusion as others have said is that the new R-Design comes with the Polestar ECU upgrade, but it is not the same as the Polestar model. Older years the Polestar tune could be added to the R-Design.

I have had my V60 for about 5 months now and it has over 5k miles. Have not had any issues with noise from the rear.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Older years the Polestar tune could be added to the R-Design.
All S60/V60 R-Design's in the USA come with Polestar tune and never needed to be added since 2012 (2015 for the V60 since that was the 1st MY here in the US). 2010-2011.5 XC60 R-Design's were the only R-Design models not to come from the factory with the Polestar tune. All non-R-Design models for the XC60/S60/XC70/V60(Canada) with the 3.0L T6 AWD motors could get the Polestar tune as an accessory option.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That polestar setup is more akin to the M3/RS4. I'll add this video I found for you to watch.

https://youtu.be/zA88iWj2lLk
The Polestar is a 335i / S4 fighter. It is definitely not in the same league as the M3 / RS4 / C63. The video you posted was the 2012 P* prototype with a manual transmission and 508HP.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The R-Design can be acquired for less than $50,000. This package basically gives you a lowered sport chassis, sport seats, sport exhaust, and a sport styling package (inside and out). In the US, it also includes the Polestar Performance tuning for the engine control unit.

You probably wouldn't be able to buy a Polestar for less than $60,000. This adds a larger turbo and intercooler, a high end manually adjustable suspension, brembo brakes, ferrita active sport exhaust, polestar flares added to the R-Design styling package, 20" wheels, and Polestar tuning for the engine, all wheel drive system, and transmission. I would recommend test driving the R-Design. If it satisfies you completely, you probably shouldn't spend the extra money on the Polestar. If you want a very exclusive vehicle that performs at a level a full step above the R-Design and you're willing to pay for it, the Polestar is a great option.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
And as for a 335i (or 340i) and S4, you will need to figure out what dealers are offering them for near you and what your priorities are. These are all very different cars.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The Polestar is a 335i / S4 fighter. It is definitely not in the same league as the M3 / RS4 / C63. The video you posted was the 2012 P* prototype with a manual transmission and 508HP.
Was fun to watch though, who knows, maybe Volvo will do something to match those cars one day with Polestar now being in house.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Was fun to watch though, who knows, maybe Volvo will do something to match those cars one day with Polestar now being in house.
Perhaps - I think it's going to be a slow process. Hopefully a line of factory / warranty approved performance parts are released.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I see, I saw at dealer all R-design have Polestar label on rear panel.
Now I need to drive both S60/V60 back to back, but today is rainy in the NVA. I like look V60, but some people will have assumption it's just wagon. Well at the same time I don't care, what people are thinking, but 50,000 for wagon? Well dealer have a good deal now, zero down , 600 per month for lease.

Or I can find around 40,000 with very low mileage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Now I need to drive both S60/V60 back to back, but today is rainy in the NVA. I like look V60, but some people will have assumption it's just wagon. Well at the same time I don't care, what people are thinking, but 50,000 for wagon? Well the have a good deal now, zero down , 600 per month for lease.

The smaller rear badge is indicative of a Polestar Tuned car, not the Polestar Trim level.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got here, but I almost pulled the trigger on the polestar on the showroom floor.
$62K and it's the best mix of car and machine I can think of.

I don't really like any porshe or Audi. OK. I'm a bit off normal.

I really like the S60 after a week.

The 940 is going on the block.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Now I need to drive both S60/V60 back to back, but today is rainy in the NVA. I like look V60, but some people will have assumption it's just wagon. Well at the same time I don't care, what people are thinking, but 50,000 for wagon? Well the have a good deal now, zero down , 600 per month for lease.

Perfect time to take it out for a drive if the traffic wasn't bad. :)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Nice. If they are finally breaking under sticker, it may be a consideration in the future.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts