SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I just bought a 1998 T5m, my second volvo, first being a NA auto. From the VIN it should be a single mass flywheel and external slave cylinder.

I just want to confirm a few things on here before I ordered the parts, I read this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?155146-Clutch-time-Convert-to-Single-Mass-or-Stay-Dual and many others and learned a lot but want to make sure:

1- What included in OEM 850r clutch kit 272218? Just the PP and clutch disc, or are the PP bolts included? How about the flywheel bolts?

2- Is the part number 9181780 from a post on that thread the correct release bearing to use with the single mass and the 850r clutch? The OP on that thread never confirmed that was the one he used in the end.

3- Finally, I plan on doing the clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, RMS, input shaft seal, new bolts if not included in the kit. Am I missing anything that I should/must replace?

Thanks in advance! And yes, I did search! (for hours lol, I am obsessed) :)

·
Administrator
55,891 Posts
Here are the P/Ns for the euro setup I installed on my '98 T5M. I don't recall if we did the release bearing, I'm thinking not since I don't have the P/N listed from back then.

Euro 850R Single Mass Clutch setup: (prices from DW Volvo circa 2009)

9454774-2 - Flywheel - $353.77
272218-9 - Clutch Kit - $340.94
6843481-0 - Drive shaft seals - $7.77
9458178-2 - rear main sealing ring - $29.29
9454743-7 - flywheel bolts - $2.89

I have some comparison picts but Apple shut down mobileme and I need to migrate my gallery to Flickr.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. From what I can tell thats the same clutch kit I'm putting in (same PN with a -9 at the end). Wow you paid a lot!

Also, did you not do a release bearing (aka throwout) or do you not remember its part number?

·
Administrator
55,891 Posts
I don't recall the P/N - since things will be apart, might as well do it.

The prices posted are retail. :) Tasca has the 272218 kit listed for $194.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny you say that! I have tasca open in another tab... Their prices are great!

·
Administrator
55,891 Posts
Darrell Waltrip Volvo may save you a couple bucks more. Good luck with the install.

The euro 850R setup worked well with my Stage 3 setup. The brand new OEM T5 clutch would slip when the right foot was to the floor. So, my gearbox came off twice in a matter of a few months.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,431 Posts
I just want to confirm a few things on here before I ordered the parts, I read this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?155146-Clutch-time-Convert-to-Single-Mass-or-Stay-Dual and many others and learned a lot but want to make sure:

2- Is the part number 9181780 from a post on that thread the correct release bearing to use with the single mass and the 850r clutch? The OP on that thread never confirmed that was the one he used in the end.
The release bearing must have been included with the clutch parts I ordered. I just checked my invoice and it's not separately listed on there. But my car has the internal slave cylinder. Yours is external, so may need to separately order.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts