SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good used wagon, what is the difference between the R Turbo wagon and the T5 Turbo wagon?
Is one much faster than the other, I am looking at model years 95-8.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
As I recall, the primary difference is the 222 HP (normal turbo) vs. the 240 HP (R). The R is much sportier and rides a little bit harsher but handles like a boxter. (Figurative of course) A T5 with the sport package (what I have) has 16" wheels (205 50 16) slightly lower ride height than that of a GLT, and a higher-pressure turbo. Add a set of 17" wheels, tighter handling, beautiful air dams, fog lamps, spoilers, 18 more HP, and an attitude to get the T5-R. Also the options package on the 850 Turbo and R include leather, auto tranny (5 speed in Canada), traction control, ABS, heated seats, electronic climate control with 2 zones, spoiler, headlight wipers, and more. I am not certain what all changes between the 850 Turbo and 850 R compared to the GLT and other models beyond what I have written above. If you plan on having a pretty normal family car that rides quiet and gentle, go with a GLT. If you do not mind having a flashy car, tight handling, a bit more noise, and an occasional harsh bump run with the R. For something in between go with an 850 turbo with sport package. Hope this helps, and make sure you drive each one before making a decision. Also, consider the cost of tires and maintenance of the different cars. I had to ban my last girl from driving my car as she likes to use the curb as a parking stop. 16" and 17" wheels do not like this treatment and are costly to repair and repalce. Also there is much less rubber between the road and wheel, so if there is a pot hole it can cost you more money if you hit it.
God luck
Prospero
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help guy!

Rob
quote:

Originally posted by Prospero:
As I recall, the primary difference is the 222 HP (normal turbo) vs. the 240 HP (R). The R is much sportier and rides a little bit harsher but handles like a boxter. (Figurative of course) A T5 with the sport package (what I have) has 16" wheels (205 50 16) slightly lower ride height than that of a GLT, and a higher-pressure turbo. Add a set of 17" wheels, tighter handling, beautiful air dams, fog lamps, spoilers, 18 more HP, and an attitude to get the T5-R. Also the options package on the 850 Turbo and R include leather, auto tranny (5 speed in Canada), traction control, ABS, heated seats, electronic climate control with 2 zones, spoiler, headlight wipers, and more. I am not certain what all changes between the 850 Turbo and 850 R compared to the GLT and other models beyond what I have written above. If you plan on having a pretty normal family car that rides quiet and gentle, go with a GLT. If you do not mind having a flashy car, tight handling, a bit more noise, and an occasional harsh bump run with the R. For something in between go with an 850 turbo with sport package. Hope this helps, and make sure you drive each one before making a decision. Also, consider the cost of tires and maintenance of the different cars. I had to ban my last girl from driving my car as she likes to use the curb as a parking stop. 16" and 17" wheels do not like this treatment and are costly to repair and repalce. Also there is much less rubber between the road and wheel, so if there is a pot hole it can cost you more money if you hit it.
God luck
Prospero
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
Think nothing of it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
Just a few other things. Many of the Rs now have 16s or 15s on them as the 17s bend and or scrape easily. The 17s are beautiful, but come at a cost. I run them in the warmer months.

The R also has a full Alcantara interior (synthetic suede also used in other cars like the Audi S4). It's not as cold in the winter and not as warm in the summer.

The wood (actually platic) trim comes in different colors. On the gray interior is a dark wood tone and on the tan is a really ugly light wood tone.

The R also has stainless steel door sills, a two-tone leather steering wheel and a matching automatic tranny shift boot.

The spare should be a 17, but mine was long gone when I bought it. They made the 850R through 1997 and they came in black, red, or white, with some yellows in 1995.

The '95 came with a different wheel design and different alcantara interior.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
The 850 R was released as a tribute to the 850 Racing cars raced in Britain, Sweden, and Australia. If you notice the R's have the little checkered flag emblem, which is also found on the 1994 850 Estate BTCC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, looks like I am looking for thr R in black with gray interior.If anyone chances upon a spotless example then plase let me know

Rob
quote:

Originally posted by cs40racing:
The 850 R was released as a tribute to the 850 Racing cars raced in Britain, Sweden, and Australia. If you notice the R's have the little checkered flag emblem, which is also found on the 1994 850 Estate BTCC.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
Where is the checkered flag logo?

Depends how bad you want one BTW. I know a Volvo dealer here in the DC area that could probably pick one up at auction (nearby is the largest dealer auction in the country). Rs go through there all the time, and this is where the dealer got my car as well. In the same day, he also bought a black R wagon.

If you were willing to travel, he could probably do something I would assume.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
On the 850 R (I've only seen the yellow ones up close) the checkered flag is on the bootlid right in front of the 850 logo. I have never seen a station wagon up close but I assume it is in the same location on the rear hatch.

On the 1994 850 Estate BTCC the checkered flag is on each side of the vehicle on the lower part of the bumper in front of the wheel well. It is black, white, and red.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
Hey George, which auction are you referring to? Would it be the PADE auction per chance? If I can find a decent R, I may sell my 854 T and Accord to get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
I've looked through my pictures to make sure i'm not giving out misleading information. The only pictures I have are of yellow T-5R's and they all have the checkered flag, including one I stumbled upon of a station wagon. From reading information given on various 850 sites (none of which ever mention the checkered flag)1995 was the only year the yellow T5R's were offered. Could this be a very RARE car I passed up a little over a year ago?? If it now I am really pissed!

Carlos
2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Oops!, I just noticed in my first two previous post's I just put 850 R. I am talking about the 850 T5R , sorry about that.

Carlos
2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Yellow T-5Rs are very rare. They only made them that year and I believe there was only 1500 for North America. Yellow wagons are the rarest of all. The checkered flag was only in '95 btw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
That is pretty funny that you mentioned the little checkered flag emblem on the 850 T5-R. I was at my Volvo dealer the other day and I saw a black 95 T5-R pull up, so I went to check it out. I noticed that it had a little black rectangular checkered flag on the boot lid next to the R symbol, I have never seen that before and I didn't know what it was either. Thanks for the neat info!

-Drew

quote:

Originally posted by cs40racing:
The 850 R was released as a tribute to the 850 Racing cars raced in Britain, Sweden, and Australia. If you notice the R's have the little checkered flag emblem, which is also found on the 1994 850 Estate BTCC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
I kinda figured the checkered flag was only on 95-96 or 95 only since they only raced the 850 to 1996. I almost got one of those yellow 850 T5R's last year, didn't have enough cash for it at the time. Wish I would have somehow gotten a loan, I love that car!!

But I also love my S40..

Carlos

2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by rabsusa:
I am looking for a good used wagon, what is the difference between the R Turbo wagon and the T5 Turbo wagon? Is one much faster than the other, I am looking at model years 95-8. Thanks
The three places that I like to look for cars are Autotrader.com, Classifieds2000.com, and Ebay. Sometimes, there are some pretty nice Volvo's on Ebay like this black 1997 850R with 64,221 miles on it:



Or this beautiful 1996 red 850R selling on Ebay in Florida with 77,057 miles on it:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went down to the dealer, they have a nice AWD wagon on the lot, a V70, is the same turbo engine as the 850??

Thanks
Rob
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Prospero, I am referring to Manheim PA. They are the largest dealer only in the country.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top