SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Looks like I'm not getting the 04.5 S40 T5. The dealership that has it is very sketchy, they have no history on the car and needs a new timing belt and radiator. So it looks like I'm buying a 24i. It sucks But I really can't find any other T5's under 10k with 100k miles or lower.

The one I'm going to look at tomorrow looks really, really nice. Interior is probly the best I've seen in the S40 models.

Can anyone tell me if they have driven both the T5 and 24i, and what did you notice right away? Is this a smart move? I am still in college, I commute daily to school on weekdays and work weekends. I am rarely on the highway, just a basic 15min drive to my school or work. Is the T5 really necessary for me? I really don't want to wait any longer to get a newer volvo haha.

Here is the 2004.5 Volvo S40 24i I am looking at. $7,500 with 102,000 miles and new timing belt.

What do you guys think? I plan on modding the hell out of the exterior. Are there any cheap ways to get the horsepower up to a T5 speed?

·
Registered
837 Posts
ive got a 05 t5 awd, new timing belt and tons of other for 9000$. 107k miles. come get it

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Car looks clean.
If cosmetic mods are your thing the na will be perfect.
I had an na loaner a few years ago and the power is night and day. And that was prior to my mods.
No cheap $$$ way to turn night into day.

Looks like mkd may have you covered though!!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The power may be night and day, but it's not like the 2.4i is incapable of merging on the highway.
I've got an 05 V50 2.4i, and recently had a full Thule cargo roof box on it, with the hatch full of stuff and my family in it. We were visiting Chicago, and it did perfectly fine loaded down taking off or merging on short ramps. It was no sports car, but I was never in a desperate need for more power. Then I got 28 mpg loaded down on the trip home. What's wrong with that???

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
That does look clean. Autotragic is not my cup of tea, especially in the 2.4i. If you can find a stick the difference will only be dusk & day, not night & day. :)
In your situation I think a 2.4i would actually be preferable. Ask mkd28 what a T5 will do to a student on a budget.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I drove a 2.4 loaner car once and they are still quite capable though the response in comparison to the T5 is a bit weaker.
I must admit it does not have the peppiness of the T5 nor can you really make any significant power improvements with it the way you would with a turbo engine.

On the other hand I found the acceleration of the 2.4 to be a lot more linear than the T5 which is a bit chaotic and jerky at times. The T5 doesn't really like traffic, seriously. Slow speed reaction might be worse than the 2.4 and when it finally pass over the low gear hump you found yourself having to slowdown again because your faster than traffic. Result, you end up consuming more gas. I should also say that in both case they are geartronics so it might have been different with a manual.

For city driving and rush hour like traffic I could see enjoying the 2.4 more . That said I don't really want to be in rush hour like traffic. I'd rather be on open roads, and then comes the fun of the T5! :p

edit:
And I agree with pczeilon, once you start the T5 path it's all $$$ from there. . .

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Mkd, I was looking for financing only:/
I know this is about the 2.4 vs T5... But working to pay for a car payment... so you can have a car to get to work... to pay for the car is a terrible cycle to be in. Especially in college. Recent experience talking here.
So even after having a good job for a while, I still drive a '95 850... non turbo. Yes, I bought my wife a nice car to haul the kid, but I'm not in a low cash flow situation anymore. Low cash flow situations require a low cash car. I promise, I PROMISE you will be better off for it.

Just advice from a well-meaning guy with no debt.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I honestly don't care if my car is really fast. Right now I am driving a 1998 S70. I'm pretty sure its the same horsepower as a 24i? Im not sure. But the thing is, the 3rd engine valve bent (I had no oil in the car for 2 days but then noticed the computer has a glitch in it that doesn't show the oil light:/ ) so having a bent valve is horrible. It's like 60% of the engine power Is being used insted of 100%. So when I get into this 24i, I'm pretty sure it will be fast enough to maybe go around somebody on a 30mph road haha there's a lot of slow drivers in my town.

I plan on doing exterior modding first. Like tinting windows, getting eyebrows, tint tailights, daylight halos. But of anyone can tell me an easy, cheap way to get some extra horsepower, that would be amazing. But yeh, I'm sure my next Volvo will be a turbo:) I just really want to get out of this S70 and drive much better car:) (oh yeh, the bent valve occurred last December haha, kill me right?).

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I know this is about the 2.4 vs T5... But working to pay for a car payment... so you can have a car to get to work... to pay for the car is a terrible cycle to be in. Especially in college. Recent experience talking here.
So even after having a good job for a while, I still drive a '95 850... non turbo. Yes, I bought my wife a nice car to haul the kid, but I'm not in a low cash flow situation anymore. Low cash flow situations require a low cash car. I promise, I PROMISE you will be better off for it.

Just advice from a well-meaning guy with no debt.
You have no idea on how many people talk to me about that haha. I know it would be better to buy a cheaper car. But I dont have any bills yet. I'm 20 years old, make $15 an hour, Go to school in morning. And I'm home. I don't buy anything for myself. Yes I have a girlfriend and I'm buying her things for Xmas and anniversary but that's saved money. My payments would most likely be 180-200$ a month for 3 years. I'm still going to have an extra $100 a week to do whatever I want. That ain't bad, I'm I'm college for another year. I'm getting a raise as well. My point is that I don't have a home, kids, wife. I live at home still and I'd rather get the car payments over with by the time I'm I'm the process of buying an apartment or home and having kids lol. Yeh I might need a fix here and there but it won't be another long bill to pay ya know

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The only reason for a T5 is if you want the power. It sounds like you don't care. Go 2.4i if anything.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Is your s70 non turbo? If you're fine with how it RAN, you'll be fine with the 2.4i. We're not talking moped horsepower. You won't be UNABLE to get up to speed in a normal situation.
You'll be fine.
....With the power I mean.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I'll reply to your PM when I get home tonight. But to answer this question:

I fully intended on buying a manual when I first started shopping for my second car. After over a month of only 2 manual S40s showing up (both beat up 2.4is), I needed a car and settled on the car I have now. It has every option except premium sound, the price was right, so I jumped on it. But now, I regret it. I should have held out until I got exactly what I wanted. I know we're not talking about tens of thousands of dollars, but being a college kid myself, spending near $10k for something is a lot. If you're going to spend that much, get exactly what you want and will be happy with.

If you're not used to driving a turbo car, then I would say you'll be perfectly content with the 2.4i. But once you have a turbo, you'll never go back. The car I drove after I got my license was a turbo VW, my first Volvo was a T5, and my current car is a T5.

Like TG, I've had 2.4i loaners, and I'm comparing them with GT transmissions. The 2.4i seems painfully slow to me, but I'm used to the speed. As far has handling is concerned, I'd say they're roughly the same. The 2.4i does not experience as much torque steer, so it definitely goes in a straighter line.

As far as styling differences are concerned, the 2.4i doesn't have exposed exhaust tips, but that can easily be fixed and you can very easily make it a true dual exhaust as well. If you only want to do cosmetic (and sound) mods, then the 2.4i will be your loyal best friend. If you want speed, get a manual T5. I'm sort of holding off any real performance mods because my car is a GT, just handling and cosmetic mods for me. It's a daily driver and a commuter through the thick Atlanta traffic. My next car will be the fun one.

So if you're heart is set on getting an automatic, get a 2.4i. From my experience, the T5 only "feels" worth it in manual form (preferably a C30 ;)).

BTW, I do like the color of the 2.4 you're considering ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My next car will be the fun one.

So if you're heart is set on getting an automatic, get a 2.4i. From my experience, the T5 only "feels" worth it in manual form (preferably a C30 ;)).

BTW, I do like the color of the 2.4 you're considering ;)
Thanks for the advice friend. I've never driven a manual before. And I hear from many manual drivers that's it's a pain driving in traffic or in towns with red lights everywhere. Kind of like my town, lots of stores, intersections, etc. but like you said, my next car will be the fun one. And I'm sure this 24i will last me at least 6 years until I'm ready to buy a beautiful 2011+ T5. I'm graduating from college next year with a criminal justice degree. My father has a lot of friends that are high ranked officers, so hopefully it won't take me more than 2 years to start my 30/40 year career haha.

Thanks everyone, going to check that car out on Monday!

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I've never driven a manual before. And I hear from many manual drivers that's it's a pain driving in traffic or in towns with red lights everywhere.

And I'm sure this 24i will last me at least 6 years until I'm ready to buy a beautiful 2011+ T5.

I'm graduating from college next year with a criminal justice degree.
In traffic, it gets annoying. Especially if the car has a heavy clutch! But I wouldn't consider red lights to be a factor; it's all just a matter of getting used to stand still starts. Spend 2 hours in a parking lot practicing, and you'll be able to shoot off the line like a pro :cool:

Glad to hear you're looking at buying the car for a semi-long term.

I'm also graduating in a year, hoping to drive my S40 for a few more years, keeping it, but getting another Swede to for a daily driver. Will be adding a 2nd Volvo to the family soon though!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Hot - tires

Sure would like to see more 5 speed 2.4i's on the SS Site - It sure seems those would be very Snappy up through the Mountains .

I really didn't Realize the complete difference the Springs and & Bar made , as on the last Big Road Trip - Not all the Items were on the Chassis .

Wow the High Speed sweepers are a Blast . I was tried by at least 3 times by other rides up though West Virgina & TN mountain roads .
Then there was the TN in His Hopped Up pick up Truck - lowered - Bars , Big wide Tires etc. He was trying His Hardest for 3-4 miles .
The 3.7 Z held it's own pretty good in the Curves - Till I Showed Him the Stick Shift - as the Curves though there are Up Hill and Down Hill - over
Bridges in the Middle of the Curve . ( 60 - 80 )

Seems like the Lighter 2.4i would be able to Dial in a very Neutral Chassis in Curves .
The V50 AWD runs best in the Curves with 150 lbs in the back at least when the Tires are Hot .;)

I Test Drove the T5 - AWD - a Bit Soft .
The std. T6 was pretty good , but the R - T6 was so much more , very taught , Very Responsive , Smooth Power - better sounding then the std T6 , and the
R - Seats really feel great .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts