SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

....I thought is was a good read in a recent Fast Ford issue.

The most pressing question in my head is were all duratec blocks treated through the same process after 2009??

Reactions: BUCHO

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Neat stuff! too bad it isn't going to change my 2005 engine block.
The oil breather part is quite interesting since many of us had to have it replaced under extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I am way curious what their "drive in, drive out" "block mod" is. For 1400.00 USD more or less, they are not installing sleeves. Interesting, thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
915 Posts
From another forum...
"Drill and insert alloy pegs around the top part of the liner to stop it flexing under load"

"Quote from Jamsport.

After many people asking what the Block Mod entails, we have put together a brief outlay for you all.

Firstly we time the engine prior to removing the head, Once the head is removed we frstly check the head for any distortion and if required we would machine it.
We then prepare the block by cleaning all surfaces.
We then install our modification to the the block to prevent the weakness' in the liners, on completion of this, we then replace the head using a new head gasket and new head bolts.
We then torque down the head to the manufacturer's recommended settings.
We re-time the engine using manufacturer's timing tools.

Once this has been completed, we then run the car upto temperature, checking for any leaks, then the car is removed from the ramp to perform a road test.

The time for this modification is approx 10-12 hours, and can be performed in one day.

As for the exact details to what we do once the head is removed, you will have to excuse us not revealing the complete details in full. We have spent alot of time,money and engines developing this. So we do apoligise.

"It's a bit like the Colonel revealing his chicken recipe" not everything is given away

This modification has been performed on many ST's now, with cars running power from 300bhp upto 400 bhp, and we are confident we have found the solution to the cracked liner issue's that can accur.

If there are people wishing to take there cars even futher, then we do offer a alternative to the Darton liners, which is installed to our own demo RS, using a ST block and is currently running over 500bhp.

The price for the ST block mod is £850 + VAT"

if it pops...it would be well worth it just to go with Darton Sleeves and forged components. gotta pay to play right!!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Well I had one RS Block ready to Buy , it was posted up on SS & C30 World . Well those don't come around very offend .

Nice Article , even thou they are selling a Tweak , I have been on the UK - E-bay site a lot and have only seen a few ST Motors up there , all from Wrecks .
I'll look closer thou , Good Heads Up , and like them turning the stock PVC into a Catch Can .

Plus Their Boring out the Throttle body and adding a New Butterfly - I was wondering when someone was going to do that .

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Those block guards have been around for ages, last I had heard of people using those they were creating cooling issues due to restricting the coolant passages around the cylinder walls. That's been years and years ago, sleeving made that mod obsolete.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Those block guards have been around for ages, last I had heard of people using those they were creating cooling issues due to restricting the coolant passages around the cylinder walls. That's been years and years ago, sleeving made that mod obsolete.
Exactly, if your going to spend the $$ to go big (400+) then darton sleeves would be the real answer, do it right the 1st time around and save later. Any amount of bracing in the coolant passages does not fix the issue. The area at risk would be between the cylinders. This was the issue with the inline six BMW's when pushing the S54 block to 900+...the answer was darton sleeves. With our blocks there is not a whole lot of meat between the slugs. I would like to see where those block are cracking that are mentioned. I bet its down the cylinder walls between the pistons.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I agree with the rest. It looks to be a block guard type of ordeal. I can't see them tearing apart/rebuilding an entire drivetrain in that time. The darton blocks available from VIVA are pretty much a great price & a lot stouter so that's a no-brainer in the unfortunate event of a block issue.

I need to find a way to do that oil breathing mod.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Their Web Site has - very little on - Any Product Detail: of any Type ( Shell We Say - Very Young ) : Show Us the Experience & Product Cost -
A Few Simple Items :

I don't see Cost of PVC to Oil Collector - DIY's
Nor a Larger Throttle Body - DIY pc .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts