SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres a video of what the car does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRrpINaDijY&feature=plcp

every 3-4 days, the car starts and runs like this. unless i accelerate, the engine dies. usually happens about 30 minutes after ive driven the car and need to drive it again.

codes i get: p1310 - multiple misfires, then codes in 2 of the cylinders. possibly related, every 4-5 days, i get a engine bank 1 running rich code with my scan tool. I can smell the sulphr in the exhaust, just dumping fuel.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Registered
Have you checked ignition components? Check your distributor. It could of course be a lot of things causing this but I would check the easy stuff first. Make sure plug + coil wires are connected properly. Engine to ground wires is also a possible culprite..

Registered
Try disconnecting the MAF, if it runs better it could be the maf is shot. Even if fairly new, I would still check the distr cap for moist/corrosion - takes you the best part of 5 min to do so..

Registered
I had something similar in January, 98 s70 base,

One night the car stalled on me, wouldn't start, I unplugged the MAF and the car ran better than it had in a month
I replaced the MAF and issues went away for the most part.

I still get random misfire cylinder 4&5 at low rpm.

Same thing though, I had new wires, plugs, rotor and cap.

I'm looking into my ignition coil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when it does show this condition, i did unplug the maf. ran even worse.

Registered
Have you checked the vac lines and elbows namely the ones hiding around the intake manifold?

Registered
No tutorials that I know of but there is a long yellowish hard line that goes from the drivers side of the intake to the passengers side, the elbow ends of that are a good place to start. I had spare silicon vac line from replacing the TCV hoses and just used that instead of buying elbows...no issue yet. Just get in there with a flashlight, you should see it. There is also a certain "hiss" sound vacuum lines make when there is a leak which is a good hint towards the location of the issue. I can try and take pics tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I feel like a complete tool. Checking under the hood today, I realized there are TWO hoses on the passenger side of the intake. Never bothered to check with better light. Now I see it. The hose completely disintegrated off. Low light never made me realize it. Problem is, how do I replace it? Looks like its behind the intake mainifold.

Registered
I know the feeling, I did the same thing. Wait until the engine is cool and either replace the whole section, hard line and all with new hose, or use pliers to get the end of the hose off and to slide a new one on. I was tired when I did mine and just took the hard line out and used it plus the elbows to measure a section of vacuum hose and ran the new hose on top of the manifold. Not the best looking install but I used blue silicon hose so it sticks out more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts