SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title implies, is it possible to install a new style air box on a 01-04 with a 16t? I know those cars have a K24 so really my question is are the inlet sizes the same between the two turbos to allow just s simple swap over? If so, all else would not be a problem really

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The T5/R airbox houses a larger mass airflow meter so you would need one of those to fit correctly and the intake pipe to the turbo on the T5 and R is also bigger where it mounts to the turbo inlet. I'm in the process of trying to get the T5/R airbox installed in my XC90. I'm going to have to reroute the brake vacuum hoses. Although I'm 100% certain the 16T has a smaller inlet that the K24, I imagine it does

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What advantage are you trying to get with installing the new style? I'm thinking it would be alot of work for nothing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Exactly, the ironic part is that the tube feeding the turbo is the biggest inlet restriction on either car, and to fix that you have to go aftermarket anyway. I'd get the Snabb intake tube kit and leave the airbox alone. Much smarter use of your time and/or money.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Exactly, the ironic part is that the tube feeding the turbo is the biggest inlet restriction on either car, and to fix that you have to go aftermarket anyway. I'd get the Snabb intake tube kit and leave the airbox alone. Much smarter use of your time and/or money.
Agreed. If you're dead set on a higher flowing intake, the simota CDA is what i'm using in conjunction with the snabb inlet pipe. Sounds like Darth Vader rolling down the street and works seamlessly with the factory cold air feed.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Simota, BSR, R Kelly intake system there's not many options for intake since the stock system is a cold air intake technically. But yes your money is best spent on a Snabb or ipd intake elbow

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes. Not necessarily cold air, free flowing. You want colder air, get a better intercooler system.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The goal was more for sound rather than performance as I can get cheap used oem parts and wanted to use the way Volvo already has to bring in cold air. Was planning on leaving the top cover off of the box until I start tuning the car, then switching over to an a/m setup. And I was curious how the CCI intake system sounded since it is enclosed. That would be perfect as it does use the factory cold air duct as long as it has the sound to back.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Running without the lid is no good. Just let's hot air from the engine bay in. I'm sure others will chime in but you'll experience heat soak faster and loss of performance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts