SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the mist of ordering my V70 but having truble deciding between the T5 and the 2.4T. My dealer can get the 2.4T within a week but would have to order the T5 which may take up to 6 weeks. I also want the auto and its an option on the T5. My dealer also said that the 2.4T may be better for city driving and is easier on gas. Other than the difference listed above, the only thing I like better on the T5 are the sports seats. It comes to about $5000 CAD difference between the two.

·
Registered
226 Posts
$5,000 is a lot to pay if the seats are the only thing you prefer in the T5.<P>But don't discount the additional benefits of the T5. Personally, in deciding between the two I'd go with the T5, due to improved sportiness and resale value. But that's just me.<P>1. What car are you driving now?<BR>2. What are your main reasons for looking at the V70's?<BR>3. How much driving do you do?<BR>4. Many road trips?<BR>5. What's your ratio of city:highway?<BR>6. Is the T5 within budget?<BR>7. Is resale important?<BR>8. Is 5 weeks too long to wait?<BR>9. Have you driven both cars?<P><BR><P>

·
Registered
528 Posts
The fuel mileage difference is negligeable, if measureable at all. Don't let that falsehood sway you.<P>I agree with coastal that the T5 really is the better deal. In fact, the way I wanted mine set up, there was less than $300 USD in price difference between the two cars...and you get many items on the T5 that can't be had on the 2.4T (at least in the US) like bigger brakes, the seats, etc).<P>- Darell

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure if the US pricing structure is the same as in Canada, but when I put all the options that came with the T5 on the 2.4T, the 2.4T actually cost more than the T5. As Darrel mentioned, this doesn't even consider the options you can't get on the 2.4T - like the larger brakes. The way I looked at it I got the extra power for free. The only issue would be turbo lag if most of your driving is in the city. The car does not come to life until you hit 2600 rpm.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you compare the torque curves (on paper, mind you) the T5 is always higher than the 2.4T at any RPM. So, even though the turbo doesn't come on until a wee bit later, you still get more umph at every speed. Just doesn't seem like it, since when the umph DOES come on the T5, it's more like UMPH!<P>And yes, I totally consider that I got the extra HP for free. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they did the pricing like that.<P>- Darell<p>[This message has been edited by darell (edited 07-10-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts