SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, are S60 T5 Momentum key remotes full black plastic? (without any chrome/metal finishes)?

The S60 key remote images I see online show chrome/metal finishes, along with soft touch material on the front and back of the case. The the two keys I received with my new 2019 T5 Momentum are fully flat black plastic. Do T5 Momentum get low-buck key remotes?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received three keys for my 2019 T5 Momentum. Two have what I guess one would call chrome accents, including the Volvo logo on the top and the unlock, lock, and trunk buttons on the side. I also received a key tag or “sport key” that is solid black without chrome or buttons. It’s reportedly waterproof (to a certain depth and only for about a half hour). I’m wondering if maybe you got two sport keys?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2019 T6 R-Design and have have all three keys as well (2 regular and 1 sport). To the OP, mine are plastic as well and don't have leather or any fancy covering which I thought was standard. Not sure if Volvo did away with that or what.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My dealer said momentum was black, r design & inscription have chrome trim with leather to match color of your interior.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Metallic blue is shell wrapped in vinyl as my car is denim blue, middle is original from Volvo, right is blue shell without vinyl wrap. MVIMG_20190927_002731~2.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received three keys for my 2019 T5 Momentum. Two have what I guess one would call chrome accents, including the Volvo logo on the top and the unlock, lock, and trunk buttons on the side. I also received a key tag or “sport key” that is solid black without chrome or buttons. It’s reportedly waterproof (to a certain depth and only for about a half hour). I’m wondering if maybe you got two sport keys?
Unfortunately I didn't get the cool Sport key - I received two key remotes that are all black (the buttons and accents are black plastic), as well as a physical small key.

Now I'm wondering if this is due to my T5 Momentum not having the premium package (keyless entry with the transmitter keys). Maybe the premium package keys have the chrome accents?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Do you have the premium package (keyless entry) on your car? I'm now wondering if my keys are fully black plastic because my T5 doesn't have the keyless entry feature.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
R-Design here and it's certainly not leather. The edges (button areas) are chrome trim but the body is black plastic.
Thanks for the info!

My remotes are completely black plastic (case, buttons, edges) - These are probably the non-transponder/proximity keys for cars that don't have keyless entry. If that is the case, it's an interesting way for Volvo to save a couple of bucks on cars without keyless entry.

I've noticed some interesting cost cutting measures on this car. The U.S. owners manual refers to tie down loops (eye lids) in the trunk (page 561), but these are no where to be found, and neither are the folding hooks for grocery bags which are also shown on page 561.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I wouldn't call them low buck if you go to the parts counter and ask for new ones!

But yeah, not all Momentums have the chrome accent.

The manuals are often copy paste jobs I've seen so they have info that's not really part of that model sometimes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah they are pricey at the parts counter for sure, I grabbed the blue plastic one off eBay @ $8-12 depending on which one you like.
I do have keyless entry but thought it was standard on R Design.
I have a V60, by the way

·
Registered
332 Posts
they do sell the shells as an accessory, but some are quite expensive(think the wood ones to match some trim can be $150 a set), volvo makes literally about 30 different key covers for different trims and models. I like the perforated leather ones, but leather gets dirty from being handles and most chrome sided keys are chipped up bad after a year or so

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do have keyless entry on my R-Design and both of my keys are plastic. This is a late model 2019 so I suppose it's possible they switched sometime during the model year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah they are pricey at the parts counter for sure, I grabbed the blue plastic one off eBay @ $8-12 depending on which one you like.
I do have keyless entry but thought it was standard on R Design.
I have a V60, by the way
Good to know. Do you have the link to the seller which you got your plastic ones from?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I wouldn't call them low buck if you go to the parts counter and ask for new ones!

But yeah, not all Momentums have the chrome accent.

The manuals are often copy paste jobs I've seen so they have info that's not really part of that model sometimes.

Good to know, thank you! I'm taking the car in next week for some work, and will check with the parts dept.

The dealer gave me my keys in a clear plastic bag (not a key box), and the keys looked different from what I had seen online, so I wasn't sure if I had been given the correct type of keys (thought maybe these are fleet keys!).

I just ordered this hand-made leather key cover off Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/713975...c90-xc70-s60-s80?ref=shop_home_active_8&frs=1

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do have keyless entry on my R-Design and both of my keys are plastic. This is a late model 2019 so I suppose it's possible they switched sometime during the model year.
That could be it - mine is also a very late 2019 (dealer got it 2 weeks ago, and I picked it up last week).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts